Evander Kane suspended 2 games for boarding

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by RemmyDarko, Dec 8, 2014.

1. duckaroosky

duckaroosky So sayeth Duckthulu

Dinosaur Supervisor
    I can also link you the page on roughing in the rule book where a double minor is not an option.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26343

2. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

LeafsLegendAkiBerg The original great 8

Neither of the pages you've linked have stated that double-minors must be the select few penalties listed.

Also, is that actually a double minor for roughing or did he receive two roughing minors? You receive a double minor for one highstick if you draw blood. You can receive two tripping penalities on the same play if you trip someone twice. I wouldn't call that a double minor.

3. Koonta

Koonta The Boss Wears White

Okay maybe they do make it up as they go along, kinda makes me want to go over some other summaries to see how many double minors for roughing that are given out.

4. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

Does someone have a penalty summary for a game where a double minor for high sticking was called? I have a feeling that will be listed as one penalty.

The penalty summary on the previous page lists two roughing penalties at the same time.

See my post above, are these actually double minors?

5. Koonta

Actually maybe this was just 2 separate minor roughing penalties because I think in this case Perreault served the other minor for Scheifele. Scheifele didn't sit for 4 he sat for 2.

Anyway in the prior game Stoner should have received 2 minors for roughing like Scheifele did in this case and someone serve the other 2. But whatever I'm not going to argue the point Kane got suspended for a stupid hit so I'm moving on but just found this curious and have now figured it out.

6. ThirdManIn

ThirdManIn Aspiring Sinecure

Rippin' and runnin'
    Awards:
    Pretty sure it is two separate roughing penalties, BUT if the PP lasted 4 minutes then they screwed up.

7. Koonta

Yeah one penalty as seen from the Jets vs. Bruins

PENALTY SUMMARY
    1ST PERIOD
    02:14 WPG Mathieu Perreault Tripping against Chris Kelly
    08:17 BOS Brad Marchand Tripping against Michael Frolik
    14:55 BOS Loui Eriksson Tripping against Mark Scheifele
    17:40 BOS Patrice Bergeron Holding against Mark Scheifele
    2ND PERIOD
    01:31 WPG Zach Bogosian Tripping against Patrice Bergeron
    17:24 WPG Mark Stuart Roughing against Brad Marchand
    3RD PERIOD
    16:30 BOS Brad Marchand Hi stick - double minor against Grant Clitsome
    OT PERIOD
    NONE

8. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

Ah, thanks. That's what I thought it would show. It appears the refs may not be bending the rules then.

9. Koonta

:laugh: But they always bend the rules or should I say ignore the rules when they don't call penalties because of the score,etc, etc, fans of every team can allude to this.

What should be said they don't get caught bending the rules on a written game sheet ;)

10. duckaroosky

Dinosaur Supervisor
    For high sticking in the rule book it has an option for a double-minor, not true for roughing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26352

What Scheifele did may have been 2 seperate roughing penalties, I don't know because I didn't see the game, but what Fraser's blog said was Stoner should've gotten a double-minor for roughing which isn't an option right now in the NHL. And Stoner didn't "rough" Kane twice, it was all 1 action, IMO.

I'm actually part of the camp that thinks Stoner should've gotten a fighting major for his stunt (not the 2 min roughing). I don't think it was third-man in though and I don't think Stoner should have been suspended like some were saying.

11. Koonta

Scheifele did the same thing as Stoner did all one action but punched the other player more than once and was the aggressor while the Dallas player just received 1 roughing penalty and Scheifele received two separate roughing penalties.

Anyways water under the bridge. But the big thing I take away from this is that Scheifele got 2 roughing penalties in one shift, he's getting nasty now :laugh:

12. duckaroosky

Dinosaur Supervisor
    Did he go after him again after it was broken up? I could see that being called 2 roughings. Who knows though. I stopped trying to figure out what the refs/linesmen were doing a long time ago.

13. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

I don't think a scuffle needs to be broken up for a second penalty to be called. Just like a ref could call you for slashing someone twice in a row or only call one penalty. It's a discretionary thing.

14. duckaroosky

Dinosaur Supervisor
    How often is there a partial breakaway and a guy gets hooked or slashed several times yet only 1 gets called? Or a delayed penalty and the defending team commits a slash or interference to touch the puck but only the original penalty gets called?

I see what you're saying but I don't think 2 minor penalties are called all that often, obviously it happened last night and I'm not sure why but I don't really care either. Refs gonna ref. :dunno:

15. Koonta

There was a hard (but clean) hit on Frolik by Demers and then Scheifele went after him and started punching him, being the aggressor in the altercation and Demers got the one roughing penalty in defence. Anyway no sense in trying to figure how penalties are doled out most of the time like you said

In this case the ref probably saw Scheifele punch Demers a couple of times after the clean hit and saw Demers defend himself so decided that Scheielfele should get two separate penalties but didn't want to make it a 5 on 3 so gave one to Demers. He also could have just given 1 minor to Scheifele and none to Demers and would've received the same result a 2 minute powerplay for Dallas. but again whatever

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  16. I just dont understand how, in this day and age, you can let a cut get infected. Basic hygiene and care is too complicated for some?

17. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

They're not, but that was really just more of an illustrative example. To get two tripping penalties on the same stoppage, you'd probably have to do it to two different players on two different plays. I'm sure it's happened, but very rare. Scrums are called very differently though. I think the refs have other reasons for calling multiple penalties, likely when they feel that two players should be penalized but one has behaved worse than the other. Refs have done this before during scrums and likely continue to do so. I'm not saying whether it's right or not, just saying that I don't think that the refs are rewriting the rulebook and evidently the league doesn't have an issue with how they call this aspect of the game.