Evander Kane suspended 2 games for boarding

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by RemmyDarko, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Whileee

Whileee Registered User

Accelerating into the hit, looks right at Postma's head as he launches to hit it from behind into the glass.

Like I said, in the future the NHL will have to start giving hits like this 2 games if they want to be consistent with the Kane suspension.

... by the way, Thorburn got an extra 2 for instigating and a 10 minute misconduct for engaging Boll for the hit.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM sowcufucakky

I love it when someone who has never played in the NHL criticizes someone else for commenting on the NHL rules. Especially people who fail to understand that the person they're criticizing actually felt the officials got it wrong.

Funny thing about roughing penalties. Kerry Fraser isn't the final word on what level they have to be called at. It's no longer his call to make if he's no longer on the ice.

Last edited by moderator Fugu: Dec 8, 2014
  3. Stupid hit that deserves 2 games. Maybe next time he'll think twice before dishing out dangerous hits from behind.

4. larmex99

larmex99 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

So Borat, you have reviewed all of the video to come up with this brilliant analysis? No, of course you haven't. Just making it up as you go.

5. tucker22*

tucker22* Registered User

Does 4 years in the WHL count? I can guarantee I have spent more time, playing, practicing, watching, attending, reffing and coaching hockey than you have spent thinking about it. The Kerry Fraser comment is like saying...ya Gretzky knows nothing about hockey cause he doesn't play anymore...:shakehead

6. Duke749

Duke749 Formerly "BigTuna49"

Seems pretty consistent with the NHL's discipline. Completely inconsistent that is...

7. Lyons71

Lyons71 Registered User

Home Page:
    My guess for two games as opposed to Lowry is because of te distance he went to make the boarding. Coulda been one or two, but it's hard to claim accident. I don't think there's a vendetta against Kane. That's silly.

8. ohcomeonref

ohcomeonref Registered User

No, it's like saying that it's not Gretzky's call to make. False equivalencies don't help your argument, they remove all credibility.

Also, Kane deserved the mugging by Stoner or the suspension but not both.

9. Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM sowcufucakky

No, it does not. That has bearing only on playing in the WHL. It provides zero additional insight into how NHL officials act and interpret the rule book over what simply watching the games do.

Fraser didn't determine how the other officials had to interpret the rules while he actually was an official, and he has even less effect on how they have to interpret it now. He was also hardly a referee who didn't show bias and/or what might be kindly referred to as a loose affiliation to the rules as written.

Regardless, this will be the third time I've stated the officials got it wrong IMO. My other point was that the rules are written in an intentionally vague manner that allows the officials on the ice to manage the game as they see fit.

10. ThirdManIn

ThirdManIn Aspiring Sinecure

Rippin' and runnin'
    Awards:
    Meh, it was a stupid hit. If he doesn't want to get suspended, don't drive a player into the boards when you can see his numbers the entire way.

As far as consistency goes, yeah it would be nice. However, another, similar play not earning a suspension does not make what Kane did any less stupid. It sucks (especially to Jets fans) that other players have gotten away with it, but it's life. Kane is not the first one to be on the short end of inconsistency. He won't be the last.

I would venture to say a good portion of suspensions dished out are critiqued by the fans of the offending player. Time and time again those fans will find other hits to harp on. Nothing changes, and the puck still drops tomorrow.

11. PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Bad hit but... it too is just a penalty. 2 or 5....

12. mightyquack

mightyquack 7th round pick > 1st line center

Good decision. Kane only looked at numbers the whole way and still made the hit. You just can't do that and not expect supplementary discipline.

Not that it will affect him, he's a punk and dumb as bricks it would seem.

13. IDuck

IDuck Registered User

not trying to stir anything up but i swear kane slewfooted palmieri a few mins. before that hit...anyone else see it?

14. Bieber fever

Bieber fever Registered User

no thread on HF = not suspension worthy

15. CorgisPer60

CorgisPer60 Barking at the net

No, that was a poor camera angle and Kane had poor body position on the hit.

As for the suspension, whatever. Kane boarded a dude. You can't make hits like that. I also understand why they only gave Stoner a 2 min, as he was responding to being boarded.

I'd be annoyed with the consistency, but I'm used to that from the league. Oh well. Live and learn, Kane. Don't make stupid hits where you track a guy's numbers from half-way across the ice.

16. madhi19

madhi19 Just the tip!

Home Page:
    2 games suspension... The team is probably already in Dallas but he not playing until next Saturday in Winnipeg...

Last edited by moderator Sojourn: Dec 9, 2014
  17. scelaton

scelaton Registered User

Jets fan here, agreeing with you.
    The boarding happened right in front of me, was flagrant and premeditated.
    Kane is not the victim here....and yet the narrative follows a predictable pattern. On and off the ice, Kane generates controversy with his poor decisions, an over-reaction results, and then a ****storm of indignation follows at the injustice of it all.
    When all is said and done, Kane is responsible for his actions and the consequences that accrue. Sometimes those consequences can be excessive, so best not to tempt fate. It's a lesson that you have to learn before you're considered a grown-up, and the sooner he learns it the better.

18. la patineuse

la patineuse Registered User

Stoner didn't turn into the boards on an obvious hitting scenario. He was playing the puck along the boards with his back directly towards Kane all along. Kane came all the way across the ice and was looking at Stoner's number the whole time and still hit him into the boards.

Anyway, Stoner should have gotten a 5-minute major and I do think the NHL is sending a message to Kane and other players about blatant boarding. Two games maybe one game too many since Kane doesn't have a history, but then again he may have been warned and fined before (fines aren't always announced).

And if the NHL is inconsistent, that's not news. It happens a lot to a lot of players and will continue to happen. Every team has been on the wrong side of unequal suspensions as well as suspensions that should have happened, but didn't. Still doesn't make what Kane did alright.

Edit: Just watched the DSP video and they said Kane has never been fined as well as never been suspended.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  19. kyle o connor

kyle o connor enjoying first line highlife

Thought it was susp worthy when I watched it live but re-watching it now, what a bs susp. Stoner knew Kane was coming and decided to lay out like a fish vs protecting himself.

Last edited by moderator Sojourn: Dec 9, 2014
  20. Sojourn

Sojourn Where's the kaboom?

Race is not a factor here. Stop trying to make it one.

21. JoakimTheSavior

JoakimTheSavior Registered User

Thorburn off the ice for an extended amount of time? I'm not sure Jets fans would be complaining about that...

22. Sojourn

Sojourn Where's the kaboom?

Irrelevant. You don't hit a player from behind.

I don't like seeing players put themselves into vulnerable positions, but that doesn't excuse Kane. Kane had all the time in the world to not make the hit. He saw Stoner's numbers the entire time. There was no quick change in direction, no turning into the boards at the last second. Kane basically has no defense here. He saw Stoner's numbers, knew he was facing the boards, and he still finished Stoner hard into the boards. He can't make that hit.

23. CPTN71

CPTN71 GIF it! Sponsor

Dumb hit? Sure. But pretty close to average for boarding. 2 games is a bit excessive.

24. Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K Houle Yeah!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=737306

Jordan Nolan, Very similar hit, Repeat offender, 2 game suspension.

Seems like they treated Kane as if he were a repeat offender. (Maybe due to bias from off ice attitude/ref chirping in the past?)

25. puckyeah

puckyeah .

He turtled earlier in the game when Beleskey asked for this dance.