Evander Kane suspended 2 games for boarding

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by RemmyDarko, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Sojourn

Sojourn Where's the kaboom?

That's "WAAAAY" worse? Why? Because of a cut lip?

2. Evil Little

Evil Little Registered User

Every forechecker looks at numbers the entire time until the other player turns to take a hit. That's how hockey's played.

Could Kane have done a much better job of avoiding/minimizing the impact when Stoner played the backhand? Absolutely.

(Though I think two games is crazy given recent precedent.)

3. Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K Houle Yeah!

Distance from boards.

4. Sabs*

Sabs* Guest

If that was Ov what would he get?

5. billybudd

billybudd 1for the other thumb

I thought I had a good read on what Shanahan didn't want people to do, but with this current group, I have no idea what they will and won't take issue with. Giving Anders Lee a hearing and not giving one to Robidas is just...I can't fathom what they might be thinking.

Brian Burke's son also seems clueless in his descriptions of these plays. This is obviously not an example of "driving forcefully" on a board just like the Bortuzzo hit wasn't "extremely late."

6. Derfel*

Derfel* Guest

Kane has no prior history. There was no injury on the play. Why go beyond the 5 minute major?

Last edited by moderator Sojourn: Dec 8, 2014
  7. Sojourn

Sojourn Where's the kaboom?

That's just not true. Players often come in at an angle. Kane came in directly from behind.

Regardless, what you're saying isn't a defense. He has no defense. Kane had an eternity to avoid making the hit. He didn't. Again, I'd be surprised if the league didn't look at the entire situation, and give him two games because of how obvious it was. Sometimes a hit is just reckless, and a player crosses the line. Kane was just stupid here, and he had no business finishing that check.

8. GoJetsGo55

GoJetsGo55 Registered User

It`s not the suspension that pisses me off. It`s the fact that a guy comes in as the 3rd man, drops his gloves, and starts punching a guy.....2 minutes. That`s completely ****ing wrong. It doesn`t matter what Kane did before hand. You can`t just say that he had it coming and not make the call. That`s not up to the ref. It`s a ****ing joke.

9. Romang67

Romang67 BitterSwede

You mean the very definition as a first time offender? As opposed to a repeat offender?

10. GoJetsGo55

GoJetsGo55 Registered User

Because the league has ZERO consistency and they make **** up as they go. That`s basically it.

11. RECCE

RECCE The Dog House

I'm not going to comment on the suspension at all.

Although I will say that the officiating within the league certainly has been inconsistent as of late, as of late meaning the last 3-4 years.

12. Koonta

Koonta The Boss Wears White

How does he deserve double the standard one game suspension for this exact type of hit when he has no prior history in his 6 year career. Lowry got only 1 game, no prior history, Nolan got two games but had prior history. No consistancy at all in the dept of player safety

Vatanen and Kane weren't fighting but he was preventing him from defending himself against Stoner who was throwing bare fisted punches to his face

13. ghostingtaro

ghostingtaro Registered User

No big deal.

Just trying to remove those stacks off Kanes back :laugh:

I kind of get the feeling Kane is viewed in a negative light from the league and this is to get him back.

14. larmex99

larmex99 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

The real problem here isn't the suspension. Kane hit him in the nimbers into the boards. It is what it is. The real problem is the incredibly horrid reffing that preceded this and other epic stupidity during the game. Bad calls, horrible calls to make up for the bad calls and then a raft of non calls leading up to the boarding incident. Worst refs I have seen outside of pee wee. If you doubt me, take a look at the game yourselves. This was the kind of refereeing that makes you wonder why we should shell out good money to see NHL hockey. It needs to be fixed and suspending players isn't going to fix the referees.

15. Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K Houle Yeah!

Sad but probably true.

He has cleaned up his attitude towards the refs this year. A lot less since Maurice got here.

16. TOML

TOML Registered User

Getting a wee bit tired of players deliberately turning into the boards on obvious hitting scenarios. But then again, it's getting suspended more often now, so Kane should know better.

17. Derfel*

Derfel* Guest

Mackinnon gets nothing for his hit on Schenn, and his elbow on Perrault.

Kane gets 2 games for this.

Last edited by moderator Sojourn: Dec 8, 2014
  18. InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy Zagidulin's Dad

When Backlund threw a similar and less intentional hit on Enstrom earlier in the year, Jets fans called for his head and a 5 game suspension. Kane throws a worse hit and gets suspended and now the league is a "joke".

Delicious.

19. Derfel*

Derfel* Guest

Worse hit how, exactly? Stoner got right up and became the 3rd man into a fight after being hit by Kane. Enstrom left the game after going into the boards full speed face first after being pushed from behind by Backlund.

One got a 2 game suspension. One didn't even get a penalty.

20. Goose of Reason

Goose of Reason El Zilcho

Did you watch the hit? Kane had his numbers lined up from across the ice. A 6 year old in novice can tell you not to make that hit.

21. TorstenFrings

TorstenFrings lebenslang gruenweiss

I think you are giving Stoner way too much credit here, if you think he engineered that situation. He had his back to Kane forever, long before it becoming an obvious hitting scenario. Kane had lots of time to think better of it looking at the number on his back.

Stoner simply saw Kane in the middle of the ice and knew he could get to the puck and get it away, which he then did (as you can see), before Kane reached him.

22. kducks

kducks Duck Off

Not sure if it was mentioned but Stoner did get stitches to his face after the hit. Not sure if they took that into account for what it's worth.

23. Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM sowcufucakky

Actually, it IS up to the ref. The rule explicitly says they have wide latitude in determining which penalties to apply using the fighting rule. You can argue they didn't apply the rule correctly, but you can't say they don't actually have the power to do exactly what they did, because they do.

This situation also fits the discussion for roughing.

While I agree with most that Stoner deserved 5, this situation was called entirely within the rules as written. And, in practice, it's pretty typical that when someone throws a major penalty and a beat down scrum ensues that the refs make sure that the team with the knucklehead winds up shorthanded.

24. CaptainChef

CaptainChef Registered User

25. CaptainChef

CaptainChef Registered User

Jets fans are getting pretty used to being **** on by refs and the league.