Confirmed with Link: Evan Rodrigues signs 1 year, $2M contract

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Signed. 1 year 2 mil.

Stupid. Should’ve been 3-4 years.

I'd have liked a 3/4 year deal but the fact he is RFA after this means its stupid to be mad about it.

I like what Botts is doing with all these 1 year deals. This year is going to be a big reviewing period for so much of the squad. Some big decisions to be made. Next offseason could be huge for the team moving forward - make or break potentially.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Offensively last year Sheary outproduced ERod. Okposo matched his production in far less ice time.ERod had 4 more points then Mitts but also played 135 more minutes then him. Mitts was also a 20 year old rookie a couple years removed from high school whilst ERod had the benefit of 4 years in college.

ERod is a useful player but he isn't irreplaceable and he also does not deserve the ice time he got last year.

ERod is a guy you want playing in the bottom 6 getting 13 minutes a night.

Scoring wise this upcoming season the following will outscore ERod...

Eichel
Skinner
Reinhart
Johansson
Vesey
Olofsson
Sheary
Mittelstadt

Then ERod. My prediction is he comes in 9th scoring wise, which is right in line with my 3rd line tag for him. It is a great thing if ERod is 9th in scoring at forward this upcoming season. If we have 9 forwards score 30+ points instead of the 5 we had last year then this is a playoff team.

ERods ceiling is limited. Doesn't mean he can't play here long term and be a solid player for us he just simply cannot be relied on as the 4th most played forward. ERod is a good 2 way player and I would rather see him getting a lot of dzs starts and PK time. He should not be on the PP anymore. I like ERods effort he just has a limited skillset. Still a quality player.

Reactions: BloFan4Life

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'd have liked a 3/4 year deal but the fact he is RFA after this means its stupid to be mad about it.

I like what Botts is doing with all these 1 year deals. This year is going to be a big reviewing period for so much of the squad. Some big decisions to be made. Next offseason could be huge for the team moving forward - make or break potentially.

Imagine Reinhart with 6 years left on a 5.5 mil per deal right now...(that’s what he wanted last season)

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Offensively last year Sheary outproduced ERod. Okposo matched his production in far less ice time.ERod had 4 more points then Mitts but also played 135 more minutes then him. Mitts was also a 20 year old rookie a couple years removed from high school whilst ERod had the benefit of 4 years in college.

ERod is a useful player but he isn't irreplaceable and he also does not deserve the ice time he got last year.

ERod is a guy you want playing in the bottom 6 getting 13 minutes a night.

Scoring wise this upcoming season the following will outscore ERod...

Eichel
Skinner
Reinhart
Johansson
Vesey
Olofsson
Sheary
Mittelstadt

Then ERod. My prediction is he comes in 9th scoring wise, which is right in line with my 3rd line tag for him. It is a great thing if ERod is 9th in scoring at forward this upcoming season. If we have 9 forwards score 30+ points instead of the 5 we had last year then this is a playoff team.

ERods ceiling is limited. Doesn't mean he can't play here long term and be a solid player for us he just simply cannot be relied on as the 4th most played forward. ERod is a good 2 way player and I would rather see him getting a lot of dzs starts and PK time. He should not be on the PP anymore. I like ERods effort he just has a limited skillset. Still a quality player.

This is a really good post. ERod is a good bottom line guy. I can't believe people can watch him play and think there is a consistent top 6 forward in him. He lacks so much offensive talent.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is a really good post. ERod is a good bottom line guy. I can't believe people can watch him play and think there is a consistent top 6 forward in him. He lacks so much offensive talent.

Capture.JPG

I don't believe that ERod will carry a line offensively. But, I think he is the type of player that can be a complimentary top 6 player that can bring some defensive responsibility to a line with a player or two that are offensive minded and not the most defensively responsible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
View attachment 246551

I don't believe that ERod will carry a line offensively. But, I think he is the type of player that can be a complimentary top 6 player that can bring some defensive responsibility to a line with a player or two that are offensive minded and not the most defensively responsible.

We are of a similar mind. Not everyone is cast in the same role. For this team to push forward, the Eichel line needs to start winning its matchups and one way to do that would be to make sure there is someone who can cover for Jack and Jeff's offensive forays while still able to contribute at some level to the offense. Evan seems like he could be exactly that type of player.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Doesn't really say anything in regards to term. Sam may have wanted a bridge to work on getting that 4.5-5.75 to 8-9mill long term.

True, but given that his purported number in this instance was 5.75, they were at 4.5, and he ended up at 3.65, it's reasonable to deduce that the first two numbers were on a longer term.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
True, but given that his purported number in this instance was 5.75, they were at 4.5, and he ended up at 3.65, it's reasonable to deduce that the first two numbers were on a longer term.
So we just assume its for 7 or 8 years then? Thats also after assuming super secret Sabres guy was correct.

I would love to have Sam on a longer term value deal at the moment. I was advocating he get an 8year deal at the time. But with how Botts has set things up we can easily afford/handle whatever his next deal will be.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
View attachment 246551

That sounds a lot like Jochen Hecht

OswegoSabresFan

Jan 7, 2018
Easily?

Tage
Sobuttka
Sheary
Okposo
Mitts (obviously Mitts has higher potential)
Wilson
Girgs (tho at this point Girgs is playing a different role)

Tage might eventually (and hopefully) develop to the point where he is clearly above Erod, but he's certainly not there now.
Wilson is in Rochester. But you got one with sobotka. Maybe even with Girgs and Tage, expecting him to be better then him out of training camp. Okposo and Sheary? Your nuttier then squirrel turds. Okposo may not be 4 mill better but he is better

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
And if I remember correctly, 10 years ago people would complain that hecht didnt score enough, so the similarities go beyond the ice
Hecht had 15 goals 7 times in his career. ERod has 21 career goals. ERod has a very very long way to go to be as good as Hecht ever was.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hecht had 15 goals 7 times in his career. ERod has 21 career goals. ERod has a very very long way to go to be as good as Hecht ever was.

True. Hecht was a better player.

That said, Rodrigues does some things and is treated in some ways similar to Hecht: seems to make the guys around him better, players a 2-way game, most visible asset is his skating, good positioning, etc...

He's a bit like a Leatherman utility tool: not the best tool for a specific job, but a tool you have when you need it to get you through.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->