Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree with that, he still has those moments which can be frustrating but hopefully it's just a part of the development process and he becomes more focused as he gains experience.

The thing with Bouchard is that he actually has pretty good defensive IQ. I find that he's pretty positionally sound and he's actually more physical than people think but it's that lack of recognizing danger and the lackadasical approach to retrieving pucks sometimes that bites him but the good in his game so massively outweighs the negative that it's becoming less and less of an issue.

Actually, one other part of his game that can be frustrating at times is his shot selection. There's been a few instances when he shoots into a shin pad when he could have just got the puck deep or pass it to his D partner that led to breaks the other way but those instances have become more infrequent as well.
His game isnt quite where it could be (in terms of consistency) BUT he has grown his game in leaps and bounds this past season and he is definitely trending up.
I credit a lot of that expidited growth to Ekholm who I see as the glue that holds this defence together.
I strongly suspect that Bouchards growth will be near completion by the end of next season (over 350 NHL games played at that point) and he will be this teams top money Dman shortly there after.
Then the team will have to make a decision with Nurse.
In terms of available cap space they just wont be able to afford having a $9.25M dman playing on the 2nd pairing full time.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
His game isnt quite where it could be (in terms of consistency) BUT he has grown his game in leaps and bounds this past season and he is definitely trending up.
I credit a lot of that expidited growth to Ekholm who I see as the glue that holds this defence together.
I strongly suspect that Bouchards growth will be near completion by the end of next season and he will be this teams top money Dman shortly there after.
Then the team will have to make a decision with Nurse.
In terms of available cap space they just wont be able to afford having a $9.25M dman playing on the 2nd pairing full time.
There's going to be a big issue with the salary structure soon assuming that McDrai are both re-signed as Bouchard almost certainly will. They're likely going to have four $9M+ contracts then Ekholm will have to be re-signed as well in 2 years. Nurse's contract is immovable plus he has a NTC so he's not going anywhere so the Oilers are going to be even more top heavy than they are now and have very little in the pipeline to fill out the rest of the roster with cheap, young talent.

This is why I, and others, are saying that this season and next is the real Win Now window because it's going be an aging (outside of Bouchard) and even more expensive roster in 2 years.
I'm starting to wonder if the best course of action is to trade Draisaitl especially if they fail this playoffs to change the structure of the roster but....we have a playoff run to focus on first.

Oh and Skinner's new contract as well. Ay Ay Ay. Good luck to whoever the new GM is.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
There's going to be a big issue with the salary structure soon assuming that McDrai are both re-signed as Bouchard almost certainly will. They're likely going to have four $9M+ contracts then Ekholm will have to be re-signed as well in 2 years. Nurse's contract is immovable plus he has a NTC so he's not going anywhere so the Oilers are going to be even more top heavy than they are now and have very little in the pipeline to fill out the rest of the roster with cheap, young talent.

This is why I, and others, are saying that this season and next is the real Win Now window because it's going be an aging (outside of Bouchard) and even more expensive roster in 2 years.
I'm starting to wonder if the best course of action is to trade Draisaitl especially if they fail this playoffs to change the structure of the roster but....we have a playoff run to focus on first.

Oh and Skinner's new contract as well. Ay Ay Ay. Good luck to whoever the new GM is.
Yup we got a two year window so lets get it!

When Ekholm contract is due I'm wondering if he will even be a decent defensemen. He will be what 35? 36?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

100%
The time is now and to be honest I like what I am seeing so far.
I think that this team has what it takes to at least make it to the SCF.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I agree.
I need to see more from him for sure.
That said to his credit Bouchard is getting better.
IMO he played one of the best overall games in his career against LA on Sunday.
I know I haven't seen all of his games, but it is for certain the best one I have seen him ever play for the Oilers. He has a long way to go and one game doesn't mean he has changed, but its a good start. Can say that for Skinner too.

Actually the defense has been playing pretty good this series, its the forwards that need to figure out a way to get some more Ozone time and some more shots. Or we are making another 2nd round exit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know I haven't seen all of his games, but it is for certain the best one I have seen him ever play for the Oilers. He has a long way to go and one game doesn't mean he has changed, but its a good start. Can say that for Skinner too.

Actually the defense has been playing pretty good this series, its the forwards that need to figure out a way to get some more Ozone time and some more shots. Or we are making another 2nd round exit.
I agree although I dont think that I have seen much that suggests an earlier 2nd round exit (assuming they get there).
The thing that I appreciated about that game more than anything was just how resilient the team was.
There are aspects of that game that wouldnt necessarily be part of a template for future success but the fact that LA threw everything they could at this team and they kept 95% of the shots to the perimeter was very impressive.
In terms of the hitting though I would however like to see the team be the hammer more often instead of the nail.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The takes in here are comedy by some tbh. Talking about consistency lmao.

As I've said a million times most of these posts don't even recognize what they are watching, or don't comprehend the concept of defense and strengths. . There is an extreme bias taking place here

Basically breaks down to he has to play a perfect game to get a semblance of credit. The lack understanding how defense works also skews these terrible opinions we see

The loss against LA was a prime example. He coasts into a corner 50x that game making a nice chip to his dman, or making a nice reverse or headman. . Then 1 play happens that was McLovins fault, and suddenly he has "consistency and defensive" issues.
He pinches 10x successful plays, and 1 gets by suddenly he has "consistency" issues

Do you know what you're even watching at this point? The notion he has to play a perfect game is ludicrous

Oilers fans basically pine to have prime Brent Burns cuz they follow the stats and think they know about hockey. Suddenly prime Burns becomes an Oiler and they would run him outta town cuz they would be hyper focused on the poor plays That are a by product of the brilliant chances he takes

To see anyone suggest Bouchard and consistency in the same breath is pure laughable. The constancy is in the 40x he skates into a corner, shields a puck and chips to a safe spot. The consistency is in the 15 shots a game he directs at the net.

By no means, shape or form is the "consistency" in the one or two giveaways that may happen throughout a game. Holding him to perfection is just plain stupid, and unrealistic

If he is held pointless, he's judged by 2 poor plays in an entire game of dozens. There is zero objectivity in this thread for the most part

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
The takes in here are comedy by some tbh. Talking about consistency lmao.

As I've said a million times most of these posts don't even recognize what they are watching, or don't comprehend the concept of defense and strengths. . There is an extreme bias taking place here

Basically breaks down to he has to play a perfect game to get a semblance of credit. The lack understanding how defense works also skews these terrible opinions we see

The loss against LA was a prime example. He coasts into a corner 50x that game making a nice chip to his dman, or making a nice reverse or headman. . Then 1 play happens that was McLovins fault, and suddenly he has "consistency and defensive" issues.
He pinches 10x successful plays, and 1 gets by suddenly he has "consistency" issues

Do you know what you're even watching at this point? The notion he has to play a perfect game is ludicrous

Oilers fans basically pine to have prime Brent Burns cuz they follow the stats and think they know about hockey. Suddenly prime Burns becomes an Oiler and they would run him outta town cuz they would be hyper focused on the poor plays That are a by product of the brilliant chances he takes

To see anyone suggest Bouchard and consistency in the same breath is pure laughable. The constancy is in the 40x he skates into a corner, shields a puck and chips to a safe spot. The consistency is in the 15 shots a game he directs at the net.

By no means, shape or form is the "consistency" in the one or two giveaways that may happen throughout a game. Holding him to perfection is just plain stupid, and unrealistic

If he is held pointless, he's judged by 2 poor plays in an entire game of dozens. There is zero objectivity in this thread for the most part
F3D1E22B-CFF5-4C1E-B2FC-181D3F490DE0.gif

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Bouchard was excellent last night. So weird they would rave about him.....

If we are talking about sportsnet, Bieska said something along the lines of "He's usually pretty sleepy out there but tonight he was great"

In the past he's also said Bouchard needs to wake up on the ice and engage himself.

If we are talking about sportsnet, Bieska also said it's Makar in the first tier and Josi,Hedman in the second tier

Weren't you crapping all over Hedman?
Hedman didn't have a good year at all

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I still can't figure out what the point of any of this is. I think you're Nucks fan cosplaying on the Oilers board. Your nonsense is getting old.
You dont really think that Bouchard is a better all around dman that Hedman...do you?

I mean I really like Bouchard and I can see him becoming good enough to win a Norris at some point but he isnt there yet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You dont really think that Bouchard is a better all around dman that Hedman...do you?

I mean I really like Bouchard and I can see him becoming good enough to win a Norris at some point but he isnt there yet.
This year, without question, going forward, probably consistently. Hedman is former #2 overall pick, might be HHOFer for what he's DONE, but he's played alot of hockey and isn't getting younger.

You guys get so hung up on what guys were, you can't see things as they are.

No one is saying isn't still a very good defenseman, but guys decline as they get older, and we're seeing that in Hedman, Bouchard is ramping up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad