Evan Bouchard vs Noah Dobson--who would have been your pick

Bouchard or Dobson

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's much harder to predict the path a highly drafted defenseman will take than it is for a forward. But if you look back to his draft year Carlson was not nearly as productive as Bouchard was this year. He was less than ppg playing in the USHL. His numbers were similar in his draft +1 year to Bouchard's draft season. But he had the added benefit of a much more offensively stacked team. And one big difference was the goal totals. Carlson had 16 Bouchard had 25. I may be wrong but I don't remember a junior aged Carlson having the cannon that Bouchard has.

Of course we will be thrilled if Bouchard ever has the type of year that Carlson has this year. But for me it is that shot that the team covets. The last guythey had who could hammer it like Bouchard was Souray. But Souray never had McDavid feeding him on the pp. Hopefully this shot can stretch out the defense a little and give guys like McDavid more ice to work with in the offensive zone.

Agree with the development path thing.

Also think just in general, at least offensively, Bouchard is noticeably better than Carlson was in his draft year. It's going to be extremely tough for me to be patient with Bouchard because I really think he realistically "could/should" be a lot better than Carlson.

I don't think I have ever been this excited for a defensive prospect. After all the reading and video watching I don't think the Oilers have had a prospect that even comes as close to Bouchard in over 20 years? 25? 30?

Who was the last prospect we had with legit #1 upside and this much offensive talent?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Agree with the development path thing.

Also think just in general, at least offensively, Bouchard is noticeably better than Carlson was in his draft year. It's going to be extremely tough for me to be patient with Bouchard because I really think he realistically "could/should" be a lot better than Carlson.

I don't think I have ever been this excited for a defensive prospect. After all the reading and video watching I don't think the Oilers have had a prospect that even comes as close to Bouchard in over 20 years? 25? 30?

Who was the last prospect we had with legit #1 upside and this much offensive talent?

He’s probably our best PP quarterback option right now but I hope they keep him in Jr for another year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He’s probably our best PP quarterback option right now but I hope they keep him in Jr for another year.

I fall in the give him 9 and see what happens.

He has the very high IQ and nothing to learn from junior tag. Which combined with a late birthday and nhl size makes me think he could jump directly to the nhl.

RNH and Draisaitl make me think another year in junior would be best. The way defense develop slower as well.

Give him 9 over 12 or so games IF he does well. Send him back to junior for a year with a good idea of what he needs to work on. If possible influence him being traded to a contender like Leon was. Following year he starts in the AHL I believe and is our first call up... Sounds so simple... lol.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Dobson for sure, but Bouchard is a solid pick.

So. I've done some research on both. More on Bouchard now of course.

Besides skating being slightly better, Dobson skating is not elite either, and better defensively, again Dodson doesn't come off as elite in that way either...

What about Dobson makes him a better prospect in some people's mind? Dobson is clearly inferior offensively. Obviously will never be as big as Bouchard. Both were ranked as close as two defenders can be...

Some seem confident Dobson will end up better and I don't see anything towards that line of thinking. If he is preference sure but so close overall.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton

Besides skating being slightly better, Dobson skating is not elite either, and better defensively, again Dodson doesn't come off as elite in that way either...

What about Dobson makes him a better prospect in some people's mind? Dobson is clearly inferior offensively. Obviously will never be as big as Bouchard. Both were ranked as close as two defenders can be...

Some seem confident Dobson will end up better and I don't see anything towards that line of thinking. If he is preference sure but so close overall.

Dobson is fresh in everyone's minds with the memorial cup while most haven't seen Bouchard play in a while.

If i were the GM i literally don't think I could have made the choice myself. After really digging into it, I think Bouchard is indeed the better fit for our team between these two similarly-elite prospects

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We have a few Dmen already that skate fast but don't do much. We don't seem to have many guys that can make an actual, confident pass when needed.

If he hits, he's everything the Oilers need. The Oilers have been locked in on Bouchard for months, apparently. For better or worse, I don't even think they were thinking Dobson or cared that he was available. Chia mentioned trying to decide Bouchard or Wahlstrom. Not Dobson.

Interesting that Chicago and the Wings both chatted with Dobson but went with other guys ultimately. I know the Wings went Zadina but why did the Hawks like Boquist better than Dobson? I think Dobson is a lock to be a reliable but skillfully unspectacular Dman, maybe with some upside but Bouchard's skills and shot could crack the Oilers team as a whole wide open.

I also have more faith in Bouchard being developed properly now that Yawney's here. Anaheim is a D factory and I'm sure Yawney played some part in that.

I had also read multiple reports that Detroit really liked Bouchard. You would assume that they would of liked Hughes too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah we have guys like Nurse and Klefbom who can skate for days.

What we desperately needed is a guy who can outlet the puck with high end passing ability to McDavid and Draisaitl and a big point shot on the PP, those are the big needs, on that end it's hard not to look at Bouchard as being a good fit.

I still think at an NHL level the bulk of a defender's points coming from 1) passing 2) point shot. You're not scoring a ton of points at the NHL level rushing the puck from end to end, the NHL is too good for that.

Beyond that when you have Connor freaking McDavid on your team, he is the one who should be rushing the puck, not some d-man.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Love me some Dobson. Love me some Bouchard. I rated Dobson higher and didn't expect him to be there, but I feel stylistically Bouchard may fit our team much better.

Happy with the pick.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Dobson can\should fill out his 6'3" frame and be around 200lbs ala Petry.
This was Bouchard's 3rd year in CHL and Dobson's 2nd. That might factor in for some people.
I havent watched much of either so its all the same to me. Both look solid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Either or. If in 5 years time Dobson is an elite D and Bouchard is a dud, I wont falt the pick. Each one has their strengths. Dobson seems more polished and better all around. Bouchard is a bit flawed due to some skating concerns, but if he can overcome those, he could be a great D one day

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I would have went the Dallas route with Ty Dellandrea. I'm just higher on him than most and want that dynamic 1-2 punch down the middle.

I like both Dobson and Bouchard bringing different elements to the table.

I was higher on Dobson for his overall game coming into last season but believe we need that offense more(Bouchard) on defence to support McDavid and comany on offense.

Majority of high end players coming out of London never hurts with their quality coaching staff.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
On Oilers Now, Stauffer replayed some soundbites from Chiarelli after he picked Bouchard at the draft. Perhaps this has been posted when it was originally stated, but someone asked him what put Bouchard ahead of Dobson on their list. Chiarelli stated two things: 1) his shot and 2) his ability to run the powerplay.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wanted either Bouchard or Wahlstrom (basically equal to me) but I would have also been fine with Dobson. Good problem to have when players like that fall to you.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I fall in the give him 9 and see what happens.

He has the very high IQ and nothing to learn from junior tag. Which combined with a late birthday and nhl size makes me think he could jump directly to the nhl.

RNH and Draisaitl make me think another year in junior would be best. The way defense develop slower as well.

Give him 9 over 12 or so games IF he does well. Send him back to junior for a year with a good idea of what he needs to work on. If possible influence him being traded to a contender like Leon was. Following year he starts in the AHL I believe and is our first call up... Sounds so simple... lol.

Can you create a fake Chia Oilers email address and send that plan to everyone in the organization.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He has good offensive tools for sure, probably NHL ready in that regard but his defensive game is not, he will likely get exposed against pro players at this stage of his development and will also likely hit a brick wall hard if he's asked to be here all year (kids are not often ready for 80 whopping NHL games and all the stress that entails).

It's not worth destroying his confidence. We have too much young players on this team as is, throwing another to sink or swim into the lineup is not smart and it moves his ELC big money payment date up a year for no good reason.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I would have went the Dallas route with Ty Dellandrea. I'm just higher on him than most and want that dynamic 1-2 punch down the middle.

I like both Dobson and Bouchard bringing different elements to the table.

I was higher on Dobson for his overall game coming into last season but believe we need that offense more(Bouchard) on defence to support McDavid and comany on offense.

Majority of high end players coming out of London never hurts with their quality coaching staff.

We have one of the best 1-2 duos in the league locked up for 7 more seasons together.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I honestly didn't think we'd even have to opportunity to make the choice between these two players. I'm just glad Calgary traded the pick and Dobson went to the Islanders. I thought we'd end up with Smith somehow so I'm happy with Bouchard forsure

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
He has good offensive tools for sure, probably NHL ready in that regard but his defensive game is not, he will likely get exposed against pro players at this stage of his development and will also likely hit a brick wall hard if he's asked to be here all year (kids are not often ready for 80 whopping NHL games and all the stress that entails).

It's not worth destroying his confidence. We have too much young players on this team as is, throwing another to sink or swim into the lineup is not smart and it moves his ELC big money payment date up a year for no good reason.

This. Give him a few games if he's earned it then send him back to London to work on defending the way he'll need to in the NHL, and further developing his offensive game. It's amazing how much some players' creativity with the puck can grow when they're given the chance to dominate in lesser leagues. This creativity can then have a chance to translate to higher levels as well. Playing in the WJC is great developmentally for most players too.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
When our pick came up:

1) Dobson
2) Wahlstrom
3) Bouchard or Smith

I think Bouchard gets the slight lean over Smith due to fit.

Extremely exited to add Bouchard to the organization, he'll fill many needs. I still cant believe we were in a position to choose between the three.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
When our pick came up:

1) Dobson
2) Wahlstrom
3) Bouchard or Smith

I think Bouchard gets the slight lean over Smith due to fit.

Extremely exited to add Bouchard to the organization, he'll fill many needs. I still cant believe we were in a position to choose between the three.

Smith is not in the same conversation as Bouchard. A tier down imo.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad