Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bouchard defensively was better than expected. Good at getting control of the puck in a tight space and making a short pass - like Bear

passing was on another level - seemed mcdavid was surprised at the pucks he was getting from Bouchard

I think that for Bouch, the biggest thing that he needs to be aware of is gap control. His breakout and offensive zone game is on another level.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Boy oh boy was it ever refreshing to watch a Dman on this team who doesn't mishandle pucks, makes quick accurate passes that are automatic without hesitation, and get consistent pucks on net with velocity. To Barrie's credit he has been doing this over the last 4 or 5 games too, but Bouch just looks so smooth out there.

That one shot attempt where he walked into the slot and teed up a bomb that broke the Ottawa player's stick reminded me so much of Shea Weber's wind up. He almost coincidentally almost killed RNH who got shoved or tried to dive out of the way, which Brendan Gallagher knows all about lol.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Barrie and Bear are both small players and I'm starting to see the top skilled forechecking forwards targeting Ethan Bear in particular.

Bear shouldn't be getting the minutes he got last year when he returns. Solid player as a number 4 at present and I'm not saying he can't be more in the future. Keep Barrie on the first pairing with Nurse and let's see...

I want to see what Bouchard can do on the 1st unit powerplay. It is possible to rotate him with Barrie from time to time. I believe Bouchard is the man for that job. Did anyone notice his arms in the post game presser?

I want to take a look at what Bouchard can do with second pairing minutes against a good club.

I also want Barrie extended so I don't want his numbers too inflated this season so... Bouch Bombs aplenty for me.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Boy oh boy was it ever refreshing to watch a Dman on this team who doesn't mishandle pucks, makes quick accurate passes that are automatic without hesitation, and get consistent pucks on net with velocity. To Barrie's credit he has been doing this over the last 4 or 5 games too, but Bouch just looks so smooth out there.

That one shot attempt where he walked into the slot and teed up a bomb that broke the Ottawa player's stick reminded me so much of Shea Weber's wind up. He almost coincidentally almost killed RNH who got shoved or tried to dive out of the way, which Brendan Gallagher knows all about lol.

Barrie and Bear are both small players and I'm starting to see the top skilled forechecking forwards targeting Ethan Bear in particular.

Bear shouldn't be getting the minutes he got last year when he returns. Solid player as a number 4 at present and I'm not saying he can't be more in the future. Keep Barrie on the first pairing with Nurse and let's see...

I want to see what Bouchard can do on the 1st unit powerplay. It is possible to rotate him with Barrie from time to time. I believe Bouchard is the man for that job. Did anyone notice his arms in the post game presser?

I want to take a look at what Bouchard can do with second pairing minutes against a good club.

I also want Barrie extended so I don't want his numbers too inflated this season so... Bouch Bombs aplenty for me.

I know some think that they won't be able to afford Barrie (or that he's redundant / replaced with Bouchard...) but I'm hoping they can extend him. Between the 3 B's you have puck movement, with each of them having a slightly different style and strengths to keep the opposition guessing. Have two-way / defensive guys on the left side and you're set.

Nurse - Barrie
Klefbom (and eventually Broberg) - Bouchard
Samorukov - Bear
Lagesson - Jones / 4K

Could be a hell of a D corp. Not sure how long you could keep one of the 3 B's on the bottom pair though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dont know how he isnt in the line up full time going forward. Hes a high pick, it's been 3 years post draft, including a pro season and a half. I think Russell needs to play 7th D and fill in for injuries. Who should Russell play above?

Very solid last night

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I dont know how he isnt in the line up full time going forward. Hes a high pick, it's been 3 years post draft, including a pro season and a half. I think Russell needs to play 7th D and fill in for injuries. Who should Russell play above?

Very solid last night
I think the bottom two left D spots will be a revolving door all year between Russell, Jones, Koekkoek, Lagesson depending on who is playing well at the time.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think that for Bouch, the biggest thing that he needs to be aware of is gap control. His breakout and offensive zone game is on another level.

Agreed. You could just see the offensive ability almost every time he touched the puck to be honest. His defense wasn't as bad as I remember, but we were also playing Ottawa, so that should be accounted for in our evaluations as well.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
He was always going to put up points in any league he played in due to his passing and shot. Last night made me less worried about this defensive game.

Agreed. Skating has improved. Sometimes forget he's also a big body - could tell post-game he's added muscle and there were a couple of occasions he tied up his man in front of the net fairly easy, whereas the smaller Bear and Barrie and Russell sometimes struggle with that.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Oilers fan coming on peace.
Really liking what I see from Evan.
Still raw diamond and tentative at times but man he has some skills.
Waiting for first Bouchbomb.

Reactions: oobga and Oilhawks

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Best sequence last night was where he made a pinch/pass to McD and even freakin Connor wasn't expecting it.
Later he did the same and McD was all too ready.
Those 2 are gonna transition the puck on teams like crazy.
Hopefully other forwards get up to speed

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

100% agree. Do not put Bear at #2. Leave Barrie there. Larsson will have to literally get injured to be taken out of the lineup, so who knows what happens when Bear is back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
"And if the New York Islanders are playing fellow right-shot D Noah Dobson, taken two spots after Bouchard in 2018, regularly, there’s no reason Bouchard can’t get there this season." - Jim Matheson

Another gem from gentleman Jim. No, he can get there on MERIT, Jimbo, not because another guy got taken after him in a draft 3 years ago. Duh...

Reactions: McOilers97

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
If Bears concussed,I hope we go big against Calgary.
Nurse-Koekkoek
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

Also put in Khaira for a game with specific instructions

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Best sequence last night was where he made a pinch/pass to McD and even freakin Connor wasn't expecting it.
Not sure if anyone has the vid of him making a nice saucer pass from his own blueline up to where MacDavid was GOING TO BE, but it was a beaut and speaks to how he processes the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Bears concussed,I hope we go big against Calgary.
Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

Also put in Khaira for a game with specific instructions
He hasn't been very good at "following instructions", so it would be nice if he actually did that, and got involved in the game, initiated and showed up in a bad mood.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Bouchard should be getting priority over guys like Jones and Lagesson at the least. He's a high pick with great production at every level, he should be graduating to the NHL at about this time in his development.

Lagesson is a Larsson replacement. Jones is a spart part though.... both require waivers and I guarantee we will LOSE both if we waive them.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I want to find a video of it. Too lazy to find it in the game or I would make it myself. Nice play.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Just in here to say Bouch looked better defensively than I thought.

Really happy with his performance and the coaches choice to play him lots.

Hope he factors into the next game.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad