Evaluating these three defensemen: Phaneuf, Seabrooke and Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

Hey, I just finished up a draft yesterday in a fantasy league of mine(FHL Sim with NHL re-rates). The draft consisted of everybody from the 2003 draft, along with players who haven't played in the NHL or if this was their rookie season(Tuomo Ruutu, Kari Lehtonen, Ryan Whitney, etc.).

Anyhow, I ended up with:

Dion Phaneuf
Brent Seabrooke
Mike Richards
Mark Stuart

I had two first round picks and two second round picks and I took these guys. Excluding Richard, I was hoping people could shed some light on the three defensemen and what kind of players they project to be in the NHL.

Thanks in advance.

All I know is that my future on defence is set with Phaneuf, Seabrooke, Stuart and Anton Babchuk in my system.

X-SHARKIE

Your top three picks are among my favroites. Brent Seabrooke could be your #1 man, but he's likely more of a #2. He can do it all. Phaneuf is a stud, he is like Rob Blake. I LOVE MIKE RICHARDS! such a good good, unerated player.

Stuart was a good pick up in the 2nd round, but he's probally not a good fantasy league player unless PIM and Plus/Minus are in the equation like mine is.

RoyIsALegend*

X-SHARKIE said:
Stuart was a good pick up in the 2nd round, but he's probally not a good fantasy league player unless PIM and Plus/Minus are in the equation like mine is.

No, it is not an NHL based stats league. I said it's an FHL Sim league, meaning the players have ratings and such and it is all simmed. However, at the end of each season, re-rates are done and they are based on the player's NHL performance not his stats during the simmed season.

For instance, I have Robert Esche as my goalie as he's a 72 overall at the moment but after the re-rates, due to his great NHL season, he is likely to be around 80 or 81 OV.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
That's a nice looking draft, and one solid looking D, Babchuk is one of the league's biggest sleepers right now IMO. The three guys I watch are three of my favourites though, so I could be biased in not expecting any of them to bust, so be warned that I might be too glowing :D. I don't see much of Mark Stuart, I'll leave him to someone else.

I'm a Mike Richards fan too. The guy is like a talented version of Stephane Yelle. Yelle would be how he would turn out if his offense doesn't develop in the NHL. I think he will produce more than Yelle though, he has a great feel for the game. Really just a classic hockey player. Maybe like a calmer version of Doug Gilmour. I think Gilmour in his heyday would be the top end offensive potential for Richards. I think he'll slide into a 2nd line center role personally and fit right between Gilmour and Yelle. That's alot of comparisons, but the best I can do :D

I like Brent Seabrooke as well, solid player, I think he'll have a Calle Johansson career. He doesn't play too much like Johansson, but I think he'll have the same type of career, he'll fly under the radar. Has underrated offense though, can be every bit as offensive as Robyn Regehr can IMO. He has very translatable skills as well IMO. The WHL to AHL to NHL jumps shouldn't take him too long I don't think. Just comes around and fits in anywhere. Just the way he carries himself on the ice reminds me of Mathieu Schneider though, but he's not nearly as creative. I think he'll put up numbers similar to Johansson throughout his career, and that's nothing to complain about at all.

Dion Phaneuf, what can I say, I drive the bandwagon here. I really like this guys play. I think he's like a supersized Sami Salo. Bigger hits and the big shot (not as big as Salo's, but its his big weapon on the point) The sky is the limit, he really just improves rapidly. Rob Blake is an interesting comparison, he plays very 'heads up' alot like Blake does, and Mike Commodore does for that matter. I don't think his career will be much like Blake's though IMO (I think Hamhuis' will though). I see him growing slowly (like most other youngster's most likely will in Calgary). Sutter is in no hurry and Phaneuf will not be expected to do too much. He could thrive in that role or stall, that'll depend on him I guess. I would expect him to hang with lower #'s for the first year or two until an assistant steps in in Calgary and then he'll be released a little more. Then I expect him to rise quickly, especially if people start whispering about him being a bust. Then I think his career will probably mirror Wade Redden's.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
mark stuart is a hard-nosed dman plays like adam foote.. hes really developed nicely after being drafted.. if you remember he was a pain in the ass to play against at the wjc.. hes a steal at 2nd imo.. hes even cracked the top 50 prospects at hf...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad