European Super League

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Sports' started by NextBigThing, Apr 19, 2021.

1. NextBigThing Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Shockwaves have been sent all through Europe with the announcement of a new European Super League. Many of the richest clubs across Europe have joined the league. How will this impact European domestic leagues? What about the Champions League? I’m also curious to see what the TV contract looks like in USA.

As a casual soccer fan I’m loving this. Am I going to watch Man U play Blackpool, Queen Park, or other basement dwellers? Not a snowballs chance in hell. Will I watch Man U play Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, or other elite clubs? You bet your ass I will. I love the big time matchups. This is a casuals fans dream come true.

2. Wanderson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    When you no longer qualify for the most prestigious soccer competition in the world on sporting grounds, but only because you have a wealthy owner with big financial muscles. Then it’s no longer about sports - it’s all about entertainment. It’s more like the Harlem Globetrotters and the competitive element is gone. I hope all sane supporters decides to boycott this so-called “league”.

3. Hoek Stay Salty

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To be honest I'm more excited about watching domestic leagues without those big teams than the "European Super League" itself, lol. Finally some real competition and unpredictable finishes instead of the same big 4 at the top every season. The Super League will get stale quicker than you think. Champions League is already boring now that the big clubs have destroyed all semblance of upsets and their meetings have become routine. Depending on what shakes out this could be an opportunity for unfancied leagues like MLS to pick up disenchanted fans, IMO.

4. Burke the Legend Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 60,000
    I've always thought something like this would make sense. So many useless games in the calendar where large metropolitan clubs with 200-300$ million all-star payrolls playing small provincial towns' clubs with a fraction of the budget and talent. This would be like a hockey league where NHL level clubs play 50 games a year against AHL/KHL level teams, or even the pre-1994 cap NHL with teams in the 80-100$ million range vs teams at $10-20. How is that compelling for anyone? bad from both entertainment and entertainment and business perspective.

5. CorbeauNoir Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Have you not watched Arsenal or Tottenham in the last, oh, ten fifteen odd years? The very fact that they're stapled onto this project is proof positive it has nothing to do with a gap in performance level.

ResilientBeast and Hoek like this.
  6. Burke the Legend Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 60,000
    So? It's about economics. A big popular London club is always going to have huge revenues compared to small provincial cities. These European leagues have cities with 200-300k population. Their TV and gate revenue contributions will be miniscule compared to larger fan bases.

7. golfortennis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't stop anyone from making money, but I won't be watching this. There's lots of reasons the domestic leagues should be the focus of competition, but like wall street analysts, who cares if it erodes the product as long as the next quarter's results hit big.

People forget the reason something is special is because it doesn't happen every day. When it does, and becomes an everyday thing, then it falls into the category of "things I'll watch the next time." A Man City-Barcelona match doesn't remain must see TV if there are 4 more coming up in the next few months.

Hoek likes this.
  8. ForumNamePending Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think the danger here is that these huge clubs, and their fan bases, that are use to winning, or at least contending, could end up in a situation where they have extended runs as also-rans.

It's easier to keep your existing fan base engaged, and continue to create new fans, when you are usually contending for your domestic league title, or at least in the running to (re)qualify for the CL, playing in Europe, etc. What happens when a club, that is use to winning way more often then they lose, is on their way to finishing mid-pack or worse for the 4th or 5th consecutive season in the new "Super" League?:dunno:

Liverpool vs Manchester is probably a lot more compelling if it's a game with the EPL title or a spot in Europe on the line, instead of two teams with losing records playing out the string in the SL. Milan vs Madrid is probably a lot more interesting if it's to decide who moves to the next round of the CL, instead of a game to decide who finishes 11th in the SL standings.

EDIT: If the clubs are ultimately allowed to stay in their domestic leagues my above points aren't as relevant.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. Wanderson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Have you seen what the European fans think about this idea? They hate it. Football is so much more than just football, it’s a lifestyle and you identify yourself with your club.

This league is created to satisfy you, 16 year old kids from Dubai and tourists from Asia. And in the end, of course make the already rich owners even richer.

But I think it will backfire. Now it seems like the “big 6 clubs” are going to get all their work permits on foreign players rejected in the future. Sweet.

10. CorbeauNoir Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    And those small provincial town clubs frequently upset the popular London/Manchester clubs when they go head to head, so what about that 'isn't compelling'? If it was actually about generating an attractive even-level-of-play replacement PSG and Bayern Munich who have made their respective leagues completely redundant should be the first ones leaping at the opportunity yet both are hold-outs.

Whatever the case, on paper this is intended to be a replacement of the CL and not domestic leagues, so if the governing bodies' bluffs are called the tiers of haves and have-nots at the domestic level isn't going to budge anyway. All this does is lock out other teams that may have otherwise had a shot of sneaking into a Champions League spot. A situation like Ajax making an unlikely run to the very brink of the semi-finals a couple of years ago is no longer possible under this format. That makes the overall run of competitions LESS compelling, not more compelling.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    DoyleG likes this.
  11. bossram Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This is a much more interesting criticism of the Super League than most others. The other arguments I've heard are just whining about Big Money controlling everything.

But it might not actually be in the big clubs' best interest to be in the Super League if they're just going to be basement dwellers.

12. Fenway Administrator Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
  13. Albatros Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They do not necessarily need to be based in the UK any longer though. I am sure Dubai would be more than welcoming.

14. golfortennis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What is strange about what you said is that it wasn't that long ago, historically speaking anyway, Ajax was one of those super power clubs. So what happens when a club falls from grace?

Or this is designed to ensure that doesn't happen by keeping more money in the "right" pockets. The evolution of the CL has likely made it less likely given the money that goes to the clubs that get out of group play.

As to your first comment, Bournemouth stayed in the PL for *5* years, and frankly should still be up this season. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure they defeated all of the big 6 at least once during those years. That is compelling. This super league isn't.

15. golfortennis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Can you clarify what you mean? I don't know the legalities.

16. CorbeauNoir Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    And on the opposite end West Ham are in the process of making a miracle run to potentially nab a CL spot. Which under this format would be ripped out of their hands to the benefit of two teams currently in mid-table. Because that's so much more "compelling".

17. Albatros Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They can choose to move their operations abroad in the future if labor laws in the UK become an issue. To have several teams located in London and Manchester (and Madrid and Milan) would not be beneficial for the Super League anyway.

18. CorbeauNoir Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    In some of the discussion I've listened to there's been some hypothesizing with regards to games being set up similar to how fighting events are arranged. Similar to how Saudi Arabia can 'purchase' a major boxing match, you'll now have Super League mega-events hosted in Tokyo or New York or Dubai.

Probably knee-jerk hyperbole but given the timing of the announcement clearly these teams have crunched the numbers in light of Covid and have concluded that they don't actually even need fans, at least not as far as home-game attendance is concerned.

19. golfortennis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    OK, so actually up and move the teams. Ok. I thought maybe there was an unknown clause (sort of like how cruise ships are all registered in Liberia even though they never sail there).

You do bring up an interesting point, though. I recall the PL went full crazy after the EU ruled they couldn't restrict squads to a certain number of homegrown players. Now that Brexit is in motion....

20. NextBigThing Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Am I the only one that loves the Super League? I’m an extremely casual soccer fan but this has me pumped. The hardcore fans are always going to watch. Even the fans freaking out now screaming boycott will watch. This will attract the casuals and grow the game significantly. Can’t wait for this thing to get going.

21. Cloned Begging for Bega

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The difference between the mentality in NA vs. Europe is pretty stark here.

The Super League concept (which is basically what a NHL/MLB/NBA system is) is getting roundly criticized in Europe.

Meanwhile, a relegation league concept (which is the way it is currently in European soccer) would get shot down just as hard here in North America.

Pretty interesting stuff.

AwesomeMatthews and Flukeshot like this.
  22. 200 mph Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    These ?Super League teams already realize they make way more profit from outside sources than they do from their local fans. That’s why they’re creating this super league.

23. 200 mph Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Will the super league teams no longer compete in their domestic leagues?

24. Cloned Begging for Bega

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    In theory they would but in practice UEFA is threatening they will be kicked out of the domestic leagues.

I think the other concern is that the Super League would effectively render all domestic leagues as "second class". People don't like the idea of forming an exclusive clique of teams.

Luckylarry likes this.
  25. Hynh Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think what would be more strongly criticized is the fact that Juventus/Bayern/PSG won 23 of the last 24 Italian/German/French titles. These teams make the 50s/60s/70s Habs look like losers.