European Leagues/KHL Free Agents

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pius Suter (Attended Sens Dev Camp in 2017) has an NHL out clause in his contract this summer.
He led the NLA in points this year with 53(30 goals, 23 assists) in 50 games.

Swiss Nationalleague to sign transfer agreement with the NHL...so Suter wouldn't need that clause and NHL teams will be able to negotiate a contract with any player.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Grigorenko signed by Columbus for 1.2M.
Interestingly, one Russian insider I follow mentioned that 2 other teams were interested. One being from Eastern conference that has "excellent chances of getting 1st overall pick" :huh:
He chose Columbus because the other 2 teams put it on the back burner because of COVID.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Was wird aus dem NHL-Traum von SCB-Star Scherwey? - Blick
Looks like Tristan Scherwey still intends to take a shot at the NHL. He has an exit clause this summer and took part in the Sens training camp last camp but was cut early because of his contract restrictions. Back then there was a report that DJ Smith liked him and wanted to keep him around. In this article Scherwey states he hasn't heard from the Senators since and that his agent couldn't tell him anything specific. I don't know what restrictions are on NHL teams but they might be limited about what they can talk with when speaking with agents of players under contract from specific leagues. So it is unclear whether the Sens aren't interested in taking another look at Scherwey or whether they intend to speak with his agent at a later date.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Was wird aus dem NHL-Traum von SCB-Star Scherwey? - Blick
Looks like Tristan Scherwey still intends to take a shot at the NHL. He has an exit clause this summer and took part in the Sens training camp last camp but was cut early because of his contract restrictions. Back then there was a report that DJ Smith liked him and wanted to keep him around. In this article Scherwey states he hasn't heard from the Senators since and that his agent couldn't tell him anything specific. I don't know what restrictions are on NHL teams but they might be limited about what they can talk with when speaking with agents of players under contract from specific leagues. So it is unclear whether the Sens aren't interested in taking another look at Scherwey or whether they intend to speak with his agent at a later date.

I posted it already:laugh:

Also, as I mentioned, players like Suter or Scherwey won't need their out clause because the Nationalleague agreed with Bill Daly on a transfer agreement. It will be in place for the 20/21 season already even though the transfer agreement with the other European leagues is going to get revised after the upcoming season.

The only unclear thing is if NHL teams still would have to compensate Swiss teams if they sign players with NHL out clauses in their contracts, such as Suter or Scherwey. That will have to be determined.

Source:

Das NHL-Transferabkommen und der Ärger über den «Fall Gaëtan Haas»

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I posted it already:laugh:

Also, as I mentioned, players like Suter or Scherwey won't need their out clause because the Nationalleague agreed with Bill Daly on a transfer agreement. It will be in place for the 20/21 season already even though the transfer agreement with the other European leagues is going to get revised after the upcoming season.

The only unclear thing is if NHL teams still would have to compensate Swiss teams if they sign players with NHL out clauses in their contracts, such as Suter or Scherwey. That will have to be determined.

Source:

Das NHL-Transferabkommen und der Ärger über den «Fall Gaëtan Haas»

Official announcement.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
La NHL dans le viseur de Tristan Scherwey

Had to translate this article a bit but it sounds like Tristan Scherwey really wanted to stay in Ottawa last year after training camp but of course had to return to Switzerland due to no NHL-out clause in his contract for the season. It was also reported not long ago that Ottawa had not contacted his agent since last September but this article reads as if recently his agent has gotten the interest of multiple NA teams and that Ottawa is one of them. I’m sure Ottawa would be his top choice. An issue though is that his NHL-out clause is for the 20-21 season and that window might expire before the 19-20 season playoffs even finish. He does add though he think he will find an arrangement with his club to make something work if he does get offered an NHL contract.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
La NHL dans le viseur de Tristan Scherwey

Had to translate this article a bit but it sounds like Tristan Scherwey really wanted to stay in Ottawa last year after training camp but of course had to return to Switzerland due to no NHL-out clause in his contract for the season. It was also reported not long ago that Ottawa had not contacted his agent since last September but this article reads as if recently his agent has gotten the interest of multiple NA teams and that Ottawa is one of them. I’m sure Ottawa would be his top choice. An issue though is that his NHL-out clause is for the 20-21 season and that window might expire before the 19-20 season playoffs even finish. He does add though he think he will find an arrangement with his club to make something work if he does get offered an NHL contract.
I like what I saw from him in training camp last season so it would be nice to see him get another shot. I think he could be a good depth option and he likely will be inexpensive. He also fits into the style of the team and would add a bit more nastiness to the lineup.

Reactions: Crosside

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I can't see Kuzmenko coming here if any other more competitive team makes an offer as well.

Ottawa's pitch is that they can provide him with more ice time and opportunity than what a competitive team can, therefore more production and higher salary on his 2nd contract.

Additionally, he has a teammate that he played with for 2 years here in Zub that can help with the transition and make things more comfortable for him as its such a drastic change, thats another selling point.

Just because a team is more competitive doesn't mean that they will have better success in developing the players into an NHLer, at one point every KHLer was going to Toronto, now they all left except for Mikheyev who himself has asked to be traded numerous times from Toronto as he felt he wasn't getting the opportunity to produce.

Also I find it weird that Dorion mentioned him directly by name as that indicated to me that they think they might be the favorites to land him. Usually its leaked or rumored by the insiders on who the players is considering.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ottawa's pitch is that they can provide him with more ice time and opportunity than what a competitive team can, therefore more production and higher salary on his 2nd contract.

Additionally, he has teammate that he played with for 2 years here in Zub that can help with the transition and make things more comfortable for him as its such a drastic change, thats another selling point.

Just because a team is more competitive doesn't mean that they will have better success in developing that players into an NHLer, at one point every KHLer was going to Toronto, now they all left except for Mikheyev who himself has asked to be traded numerous times from Toronto as he felt he wasn't getting the opportunity to produce.

Also I find it weird that Dorion mentioned him directly by name as that indicated to me that they think they might be the favorites to land him. Usually its leaked or rumored by the insiders on who the players is considering.

Well aware of all of this. Still don't think he chooses the Sens if a team with actual playoff hopes makes him an offer, and I'm guessing that will be the case. Even KHL players have to be aware about how bushleague our franchise is.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Well aware of all of this. Still don't think he chooses the Sens if a team with actual playoff hopes makes him an offer, and I'm guessing that will be the case. Even KHL players have to be aware about how bushleague our franchise is.

That didnt stop Zub from signing with us. I imagine the pitch is "come play for us for a year" then if you like it the max we will hold you to is two years giving you a nice cushion of cash and then the ability to sign with any team you want.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
These guys are like lottery tickets. Sometimes you hit big like we did with Zub, sometimes it doesn’t work out and you move on. Seems like we have good relationship with Dan Milstein who represents many russians, which is pretty cool. Complete 180 from a decade ago

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I really hope Dorion signs Kuzmenko. Take advantage of the fact that he's mates with Zub, we aren't the most attractable FA destination, and need players that aren't fresh out of junior. Yeah he might bust, but these risks are low risk, low cost and better options then acquiring a washed up vet to play in a top 6 role. Be the best salesrep possible, make sure he has resources to settle into Ottawa, and get his arse here!

And go beg Chlapik to come back, we could literally use him and he'd prolly be better then Gambrell lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->