Europe should put a division in NHL

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow

To be honest, it would be a great idea to have a division in Europe in NHL. Let me prove you...

-There are already coming as much talent from Europe than from NA in NHL (This year 16 Europeans in the first round draft and last year 14 Europeans)

-Fanbase is great in Europe (In Helsinki where Winnipeg Jets and Florida Panthers faced you had to pay about 220 dollars to get a great seat). Those 2 games were the biggest new in Finland for 2 days in all the media. The hype is huge. Same in Sweden, Russia, Czech and Slovakia. And very good also in Switzerland and Germany. Much better markets than in many current markets in NHL where people doesn't really care that much.

-Spreading the sport. I think there is so much potential in ice hockey and I would love to see this game to be worldwide some day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's not unfeasible idea in the future at all.

The Seattle team is buying in at 650M for a new team, that price will only go up over time. A division has 8 teams, that's 5 billion dollars + that you are looking for from European owners. These markets may turn out for a couple games every few years, but how in the world can you guarantee they would show up 41+ times a year? I'm not sure which cities you are thinking of, but most of the areas we think of as hockey hotbeds dont have huge populations. Helsinki has smaller population than Winnipeg. How many times zones will this division span? Is it largely in Scandinavia? Going into eastern Russia? The majority of the leagues games, and a large portion of your teams games, are played at a time when 0 casual fans would be awake and watching. This isn't even getting to travel. Some locals might want to play at home, but how much can you count on that for filling out teams? Theres only like 30 Russians in the league, and some will want to stay with their current teams (or be locked into contracts). If you thought lindros was upset about going to Quebec just wait for some kid like Matthews from Arizona to get drafted to Siberia. This is just one stream of consciousness rant, there are way to many flaws to blame with this idea.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
TSN underestimates the interest for the domestic leagues and overestimates the one for NHL. KHL already tried and it doesn't work in the big markets. People want their already established rivalries. Take Sweden for instance, Gothenburg vs Stockholm is a huge rivalry in sports, neither of them would care what so ever if a team from Riga or Zurich were in town.

The sports culture in Sweden goes beyond quality of the product. The soccer league is crap in the world rankings but is superpopular amongst fans. Point is; They don't care if two NHL calibre teams play if there is no history, rivalry, or any kind of connection to the team they would face.

Edit: And on a personal note I truly despise the idea. NHL is slowly losing its soul and this would just emphasise it's all about money.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They’d need at least 6 teams to do that, and no way are they expanding to 38 overnight.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

To be honest, it would be a great idea to have a division in Europe in NHL. Let me prove you...

-There are already coming as much talent from Europe than from NA in NHL (This year 16 Europeans in the first round draft and last year 14 Europeans)

-Fanbase is great in Europe (In Helsinki where Winnipeg Jets and Florida Panthers faced you had to pay about 220 dollars to get a great seat). Those 2 games were the biggest new in Finland for 2 days in all the media. The hype is huge. Same in Sweden, Russia, Czech and Slovakia. And very good also in Switzerland and Germany. Much better markets than in many current markets in NHL where people doesn't really care that much.

-Spreading the sport. I think there is so much potential in ice hockey and I would love to see this game to be worldwide some day.

It.won't.work.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
What is it with the desire to globalize sports outside of national teams? Should La Liga and the Premier League merge too? If that sounds silly to you it's because it just is. Some leagues in Europe consist of several countries, and that's fine because it's a necessity for them to survive. Please keep the NHL in North America and I'm saying this as a Euro who doesn't want to see teams like Berlin Winter hawks or Gitane Paris in the NHL. There is zero interest to open the door for inferior leagues to devalue the NHL

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont think there is a big enough fan base that would show up every game for it to be worth it. Another thing is the time change. Imagine California teams going over and adjusting almost 10 hours. Or European teams adjusting 6+ hours every time they go over to the US to play.

Reactions: Morrison

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What is it with the desire to globalize sports outside of national teams? Should La Liga and the Premier League merge too? If that sounds silly to you it's because it just is. Some leagues in Europe consist of several countries, and that's fine because it's a necessity for them to survive. Please keep the NHL in North America and I'm saying this as a Euro who doesn't want to see teams like Berlin Winter hawks or Gitane Paris in the NHL. There is zero interest to open the door for inferior leagues to devalue the NHL

Well these teams already have Champions League and there are tons of talks beeing done behind the scenes about making a new league with only 16 teams or something and get out of the Champions League. Play in the home leagues and instead of CL make a new superleague so they dont have to share $ with the small teams in the CL.
Im not saying i agree with it but teams are looking at everything to earn more $.

'Super League' plans for 16 top European clubs leaked | The World Game

Reactions: Big Cactus

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Well these teams already have Champions League and there are tons of talks beeing done behind the scenes about making a new league with only 16 teams or something and get out of the Champions League. Play in the home leagues and instead of CL make a new superleague so they dont have to share $ with the small teams in the CL.
Im not saying i agree with it but teams are looking at everything to earn more $.

'Super League' plans for 16 top European clubs leaked | The World Game

The Super League talks have been as old as the Champions League itself. And as a separate competition it's fine. Fans will riot if their teams leave their respective domestic leagues especially teams like Liverpool.

Reactions: Casanova

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I think its inevitable and something to get done in 10 years. What they should do is to mark a country and city for a couple of years. For example having 2-3 games in Stockholm (at lower price, otherwise its doomed) and 1 in Malmö, Gothenburg and in Karlstad/Jonkoping/Leksand for the next 5 years, creating a show that people would love. Then you put one team here. Seeing how big the interest have been lately in the NHL, i actually think it would work.

The problem would have been with the big european cities like London, Paris, Rome etc where the interest in the NHL is very low. I dont really see how they would get the sponsorships, attendance and general interest before the experiment is over.

Also think its a bit like with Vegas, its pretty damn important that you are first. NFL have been talking about London, and it will be done soon and I actually believe it will be a huge success.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Never going to happen. The flight time is insane and the gamehours will never fit anywhere near the prime hours.

Also hockey is a minor sport outside Finland, Sweden and Russia. Nobody in Finland has money to pay 100 bucks for a game or 10 grand for the season ticket.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Dont think fans will pay 220 dollars every game...
This event is promoted as f.... When you have a normal season there is no way people will care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->