Europe movies remake for NA publicum

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The Upside:
The Upside is a 2017 American comedy-drama film directed by Neil Burger and written by Jon Hartmere. It is a remake of the French 2011 film The Intouchables which was itself inspired by the life of Philippe Pozzo di Borgo. The film follows a paralyzed billionaire (Bryan Cranston) who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a recently paroled convict (Kevin Hart). Nicole Kidman, Julianna Margulies and Aja Naomi King also star. Filming began in Philadelphia in January 2017.

The Upside:

The Intouchables:

Cold Pursuit:
Director Hans Petter Moland's upcoming drug, crime action thriller, starring Liam Neeson in an English-language remake of Moland's Norwegian feature In Order of Disappearance, opening February 8, 2019.

Original Link (There is a limit to 3 Media peaces in one post?)

So, the question is, why? Why do they make it? Why remake from a Europe Film, that is only a few years old?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
there is a long list I could post. For me NA audiences for the most part do not get or do not understand some European movies, whether it be language or the fact that many movies are very bitter sweet in how the end.

I have a working understanding of spanish and italian and both languages can not be translated properly into English

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
"remake for NA publicum"--we could shorten that to re-publicum. In which case I can honestly say without giving offense that I don't like republicums.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
To be fair, the last one is a remake by the same director. Unfortunately, it is so bad, that it may even be held as a prime example of why Hollywood remakes are usually a recipe for disaster.
:laugh:

That said, it probably depends on the director, cast, the subject matter, and perhaps the studio. The director of Gloria remade said work into English, and that one turned out way better. It helps that he is actually a good director, and he got Julianne Moore in the lead role, who, to the best of my recollection, has not had a bad performance.

Puzzle is another one, and to be honest, an argument can be made that the North American version may even be better.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pitch Perfect - British version about an Arsenal fan >>>>>>>> Pitch Perfect - American version about a Red Sox fan

Pitch Perfect is the movie about college accapella singers.

The autobiographical book by Nick Hornby and the two movies you’re talking about is Fever Pitch.

And the book is great - even if you hate Arsenal. ;)

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Uh, yeah, I even think they made a remake of Norwegian film Insomnia (1997) (with Stellan Skarsgård), in the early 2000s, directed by Christopher "Batman" Nolan and with such renowned actors as Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank, but apparently it still sucked (the remake, that is). Haven't seen it myself though (the remake), so I can't give a personal opinion. I've seen the original though and the atmosphere in it is pretty North Scandinavian, so I can understand if foreigners find it weird/boring.

In a sense there are such shifts within European film too between the northern, western, central, eastern and southern parts of the continent. Sometimes when I watch a Spanish or Italian comedy I feel like I'm in a totally different universe. Fargo feels closer to me personally than Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, culturally speaking, but perhaps it's also just a personal preference to certain degree.

North American type films that feels weird to me are Adam Sandler/Kevin James and Kevin Smith type of films.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->