"Euro" a bad word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Am I the only one who thinks that James Wisniewski's punishment of 5 games is way too harsh for calling someone a "Euro?" Does it make sense that he could have hit the guy and gave him a bloody nose and got maybe a 5 minute major. But he says to him "I don't fight Euros" and he gets slapped with a suspension. The OHL is getting way to politically correct nowadays. Wake up. This is a man's game. We're not in elementary school anymore when we used to tell the teacher if someone called us a name. There have been worse things that get said on the ice on a daily basis. You can bad mouth a guy's mother, call him a queer, call him a ***** but call him a Euro and you get a suspension? That makes no sense. It's a game. Tempers flare. People say things in the heat of the battle. I say just let it go. The OHL only wants to protect their image by doing this. Why else would they care by protecting a small minority of players who shouldn't even be playing Junior hockey in Canada in the first place.
It was the same thing when last year John Vanbiesbrouck called Trevor Daley a n****r to one of his players. Yeah I'll agree that he was way out of line. But this was through second hand info that Daley heard this through his teammates. So they suspens and ban John for 5 years from the league and force him to sell his share of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds? (I believe that was the punishment). That's going way too far for saying one word. John had done a lot of good for the league and he gets thrown out by a slip of the tongue. Daley is in the Stars organization now not even playing for the Soo anymore. But he walked out on his team when he heard it and then they got wacked by the Rangers in the playoffs. That is not a true team captain, that was just childish what Daley did.
But seriously, I'll admit throwing slurs aren't the way to go, but the OHL should worry more about guys giving cheap shots then calling each other names.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
Judging from your story, I am inclined to think the suspension isn''t as much for calling a player a ''euro'' , but rather for the rather discriminatory stance he is displaying by this.

Heh, yes, discrimination. "I won't beat you up because you're a Euro". Meh, this seems to be a rather silly instance to apply the buzz word "discrimination". Silly suspension because Euro is not the same as a racial slur and not fighting somebody is not really a case of discrimination, at least not in my mind. Bieser calling Daley the n word was dealt with properly imho. You really can't have people perceived as racist, which when you use that word you are immediately considered a racist, in an organization if you expect that organization to be respected.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
AJ1982 said:
Heh, yes, discrimination. "I won't beat you up because you're a Euro". Meh, this seems to be a rather silly instance to apply the buzz word "discrimination". Silly suspension because Euro is not the same as a racial slur and not fighting somebody is not really a case of discrimination,

It may be a bit of a reach. That said, looks like OHL is trying to make clear that they will not allow players discriminating any other player based on their origin. And while Europeans are no separate race (even though with all the Don Cherry stuff you might be inclined to thik that way). neither are for instance the Franch Canadians. And I know for instance a whole lot of people would be up in arms if one player refused to fight anybody French. While it may seem less obvious and controversial than discriminating based on skin color and race (especially since that has a huge history of controversy) in fact there isn't that much difference between that and discriminating a guy based on his place of birth.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Exactly. My understanding is that he said "I'm not fighting you, you're a ****** Euro." At the beginning of the year, the league sent a message to all GM's, coaches and players that comments of this nature were not going to be tolerated (probably as a result of the JVB incident). Wiz got caught and is paying the price.

By the way, the Daley situation is explained a bit wrong - yes, Daley left the team for a very short period but returned prior to playoffs against the Rangers. He was injured in the first game of the playoffs and missed the rest of the series.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm looking forward to the first European player to be suspended for saying "I'm not passing to you, you're a ****ing Yank/Canuck."

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Am I the only one who thinks that James Wisniewski's punishment of 5 games is way too harsh for calling someone a "Euro?" Does it make sense that he could have hit the guy and gave him a bloody nose and got maybe a 5 minute major. But he says to him "I don't fight Euros" and he gets slapped with a suspension. The OHL is getting way to politically correct nowadays. Wake up. This is a man's game. We're not in elementary school anymore when we used to tell the teacher if someone called us a name. There have been worse things that get said on the ice on a daily basis. You can bad mouth a guy's mother, call him a queer, call him a ***** but call him a Euro and you get a suspension? That makes no sense. It's a game. Tempers flare. People say things in the heat of the battle. I say just let it go. The OHL only wants to protect their image by doing this. Why else would they care by protecting a small minority of players who shouldn't even be playing Junior hockey in Canada in the first place.
It was the same thing when last year John Vanbiesbrouck called Trevor Daley a n****r to one of his players. Yeah I'll agree that he was way out of line. But this was through second hand info that Daley heard this through his teammates. So they suspens and ban John for 5 years from the league and force him to sell his share of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds? (I believe that was the punishment). That's going way too far for saying one word. John had done a lot of good for the league and he gets thrown out by a slip of the tongue. Daley is in the Stars organization now not even playing for the Soo anymore. But he walked out on his team when he heard it and then they got wacked by the Rangers in the playoffs. That is not a true team captain, that was just childish what Daley did.
But seriously, I'll admit throwing slurs aren't the way to go, but the OHL should worry more about guys giving cheap shots then calling each other names.

LOL, WTH! He got suspended for calling the guy a Euro, I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe we should suspend people for calling us Canadians or North Americans.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Vincent_TheGreat said:
LOL, WTH! He got suspended for calling the guy a Euro, I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe we should suspend people for calling us Canadians or North Americans.
Actually you should be suspended from your canadian rights...

leafaholix*

Jussi said:
I'm looking forward to the first European player to be suspended for saying "I'm not passing to you, you're a ****ing Yank/Canuck."
Me too.

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
Didnt an NHL player call someone a "F***ing frog"? Anyway I think its not the word Euro, more the context in which it was used. Jew is not a bad word but if he were to say "im not fighting you, your a F***ing Jew" then that seems a tad racist? :dunno:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jussi said:
Uhh, I'd be willing to bet that that will never happen.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
BLACKBURN said:
Didnt an NHL player call someone a "F***ing frog"? Anyway I think its not the word Euro, more the context in which it was used. Jew is not a bad word but if he were to say "im not fighting you, your a F***ing Jew" then that seems a tad racist? :dunno:
Yeah, on the frog comment, I think it was Prospal calling Patrice Brisebois that.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Obviously it was said in a context meant to hurt or demean, and that made it a racial slur. That won't be tolerated by any organization that has a public image to maintain. End of story.

By the same token HF has a public image to maintain and those of you that continually circumvent our obscenity filter may be punished. When in doubt, use all characters.

d) Any post that circumvents the obscenity filter by using characters in combination with letters. Examples are sh!t, , Fvck, F@@@ etc... Putting ALL characters such as @#^@@ is okay though. The obscenity filter is not all inclusive so don't assume that if it's not in the filter, it can't be considered obscene.

Now it's time to move on to another subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad