Euro 2020 Qualifying Draw

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by HajdukSplit, Dec 1, 2018.

1. HajdukSplit

HajdukSplit Registered User

Tomorrow (December 2) is the Euro 2020 qualifying draw in Dublin at 12:00 CET which will determine the 20 spots for Euro 2020 hosted continent wide. There will be 10 groups with either 5 or 6 teams each and the top two in each group qualify automatically while the 4 remaining spots will be determine via playoffs, which will be based off the Nations League rather than the traditional qualifying.

The four group winners of League A will be put into groups of 5 to make room on the schedule for the Final Four competition next summer.

Unlike previous editions, there are many more restrictions in the draw, partly due to the fact there are 12 "host countries" for the next Euros so a maximum of two can be drawn into a group. The other restrictions are political: Ukraine-Russia, Serbia-Kosovo, Bosnia-Kosovo, Spain-Gibraltar cannot be drawn in the same group.

The qualifiers will start in March and run to November, the playoffs will actually take place a few months before Euro 2020 in March

Matchday 1: 21–23 March 2019
    Matchday 2: 24–26 March 2019
    (UEFA Nations League semi-finals: 5 & 6 June 2019)
    Matchday 3: 7–8 June 2019
    (UEFA Nations League final/third-place match: 9 June 2019)
    Matchday 4: 10–11 June 2019
    Matchday 5: 5–7 September 2019
    Matchday 6: 8–10 September 2019
    Matchday 7: 10–12 October 2019
    Matchday 8: 13–15 October 2019
    Matchday 9: 14–16 November 2019
    Matchday 10: 17–19 November 2019

2. HajdukSplit

And here are the pots; the most notable is Germany falling to Pot 2, Serbia is the landmine from Pot 3. Gibraltar of all teams find themselves in Pot 5, so a 'lucky' team could get two minnows in their group

Pot 1: Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, England (final four); Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Poland
    Pot 2: Germany, Iceland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
    Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Bulgaria, Israel
    Pot 4: Hungary, Romania, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Cyprus, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Georgia
    Pot 5: Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus, Luxembourg, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Gibraltar, Faroe Islands
    Pot 6: Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta, San Marino

3. maclean

maclean Registered User

Draw about to start. I fully expect us to end up with Turkey. We seem to always get them

4. maclean

maclean Registered User

Finally actually getting to the draw part.. :eyeroll:

5. maclean

maclean Registered User

Right into Group A with England for us, guess it makes for an attractive opponent anyhow

6. maclean

maclean Registered User

Croatia get Wales, pretty sweet draw I'd say

7. maclean

maclean Registered User

Group G has Poland and Austria so far, shaping up to be pretty up for grabs for a lower team

8. maclean

maclean Registered User

But then Slovakia out of pot 3....

Sportpsych90 likes this.
  9. maclean

maclean Registered User

:laugh: now Hungary out of the next pot! Too bad they didn't get Austria out of Pot 2!

10. HajdukSplit

The Dutch get Germany again but the rest of the group isn't too bad

Portugal for once have a somewhat challenging group but likely a fight for 2nd between Ukraine and Serbia and the one who misses out is guaranteed playoffs

11. maclean

maclean Registered User

Group A rounds out with England, ČR, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Kosovo. Lots of Balkan travel, won't be easy by any means

12. HajdukSplit

So Kosovo can't play Serbia but they can play Montenegro :popcorn:

Sportpsych90 and robertmac43 like this.
  13. Savi

Savi Registered User

Russia, Scotland, Cyprus, Kazachstan, San Marino

Another ****ty unattractive draw :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon likes this.
  14. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    Scotland love some ludicrous away days. Kazakhstan ffs.

15. maclean

maclean Registered User

Should be an interesting couple of games :) But Montenegro has recognised Kosovo as a country, which is the "main" issue as far as UEFA is concerned

16. Bon Esprit

Bon Esprit Registered User

There's not one tough group for the favs. First and second advance. Maybe Finland, but it's all very uninteresting.

17. HajdukSplit

Full draw

[​IMG]

Just my quick analysis for anybody that cares :D

A: Quite simple for England, will probably do their usual and win all but one game (they tend to struggle away in ex-YU nations). However fight for 2nd spot will be open, the Czechs have seemed to improve under their new manager, Bulgaria looked decent in the NL while we will see is Kosovo's Nations League form spills into qualifiers, certainly a step up in competition

B: Tight group amongst the top three teams who are all Nations League group winners so the team who finishes 3rd will be a playoff team regardless. Serbia have a promising generation coming through but a lousy manager who is already alienating some players (notably Jovic). Ukraine is one of those teams you never know what to expect, usually they fail however when it comes to qualifying.

C: Looked promising in the beginning but the rest of the draw means a breeze for the Dutch (if they continue their NL form) and even Germany. Only Belarus in this group is guaranteed a playoff but I don't see NIR, BLR or EST causing any problems for the top two.

D: Very open group and I expect one which will be tight. Denmark meet Ireland for the 100th time in the last year it seems and the Danes have had the edge there. The Swiss seem to be on the ascendency while for me Georgia was one of the tougher teams in the lower pot

E: As a Croatia fan, can't complain but fear they could get complacent. Croatia-Wales-Slovakia will compete for the top two spots. If Croatia win their home games (which they should) then it will be fine

F: Spain should qualify easily, Sweden favorites over Norway for 2nd, Romania will be tough to beat away from home but I doubt they take too many points on their travels

G: One of the more open groups, Poland for me is the weakest Pot 1 team so all teams who drew them will be happy. I would tip Austria and Poland because Israel and Slovenia aren't consistent enough though Slovenia brought back Matjaz Kek as their manager and they cant be as bad as they were in NL

H: France will qualify but not a totally easy draw with some tough away trips. Iceland and Albania seem to be on the decline since 2016 though and Turkey you never know with them, you can see them beating France away but then losing to Moldova...that's how their qualifiers usually are, along with 1-2 managerial changes :D

I: Honestly the most boring group for me, Belgium will win it easily like they did their WC18 qualifying group. Russia-Scotland will fight for 2nd likely with Scotland having the playoff secured due to their NL performances. I trust Russia more simply because Scotland have made it common to drop points in places like Cyprus/Kazakhstan in past qualifiers

J: I think this could be a competitive group, low scoring though. Italy will qualify but I can see them drop some points with their lack of goal scoring, Finland are in great form really since late 2017 and they finished above Greece in the NL. BiH look good under Prosinecki but they will be challenged here

pdogfizzle and maclean like this.
  18. Hesher

Hesher Sagan for President

Wales from pot 2 is good, Hungary and Azerbaijan from pots 4 and 5 not so much.

19. maclean

maclean Registered User

If Hapal can get and keep morale and team issues under control, even Croatia from pot 1 could be playable.

20. Hesher

Hesher Sagan for President

Yeah, we'll see what happens. All things considered this is not a bad draw, the key was to avoid the German group. Good luck to you, second place is there for the taking.

21. maclean

maclean Registered User

Thanks, same to you. At least travel won't a big issue for you :)

22. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    They might actually qualify this time around!

23. Sportpsych90

Sportpsych90 Registered User

I am quite happy with both Czech and Slovak draws. Czechs obviously have an easier route with really only England to worry about. But for Slovakia to be in pot 3, I don’t thibk we could have drawn more playable opponents. Will be fun to watch, hopefully both advance!

24. maclean

maclean Registered User

I hope so too. Good to have a backup to cheer for when one of us inevitably fails to show up :)

25. HajdukSplit