Injury Report: Euro 2020, June 11 - July 11, TSN & TVA Sports: Kickoff

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
FYI lads and lasses, we're a bunch of Soccer fans that hang out on this forum on the CF Montréal aka Impact thread, so feel free to join us as well if you wanna talk anything Soccer/Football. We're a nice sub-community, I'd like to think.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
The midfield and forwards are probably the best group ever.

That's a pretty bold statement. And almost undoubtedly incorrect. Not to take anything away from this midfield, but Italy has produced some world class teams in the past.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Oh yes this is true. I watched their U20 team a couple of years ago and it was wild the type of football they were playing. Not the ancient slow Italian style from years previous.

It's amazing to watch Insigne subbed for Chiesa. Bernardeschi(one of my fav players who has absolutely lost his way at Juventus, but performs very well for Mancini) for Berrardi. Belotti for Immobile. This team has a chance if the D can stand up against formidable opponents.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
That's a pretty bold statement. And almost undoubtedly incorrect. Not to take anything away from this midfield, but Italy has produced some world class teams in the past.

Some great players, but never in this quantity. It's all arguable and unless they win it's unproven. But yes I will stand by my statement that as a group, this has to be the most talented group Italy has ever fielded.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Can you explain why on the second hand ball, where his hand is off his body is not a penalty?

It’s a new rule as of 6 months (coincidentally I believe it’s an old rule from way back) which says that his arm was in a natural position due to his body position and it wasn’t intentional, so no penalty awarded.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i used to get into these games in the past but haven't had the time in the last several years. Might have to check out a few games since I work from home, if work isn't crazy next week. I'm part Scottish so I have to root for them, too bad Ireland didn't make it since I'm also a large part Irish. I'm not a big football/soccer fan but it just seems these 2 countries never do shit.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It’s a new rule as of 6 months (coincidentally I believe it’s an old rule from way back) which says that his arm was in a natural position due to his body position and it wasn’t intentional, so no penalty awarded.

What le_sean said.

This doesn't really make any sense. Sure he was trying to put his hand in the way of the ball, but he stopped a cross with his hand... Now they add to the ref making decisions based on intent to move a hand in a natural motion? That's just crazy and going to cause all kinds of conspiracies of why Spain got a penalty but England didn't... The sport has to be more black and white, not technicolor.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This doesn't really make any sense. Sure he was trying to put his hand in the way of the ball, but he stopped a cross with his hand... Now they add to the ref making decisions based on intent to move a hand in a natural motion? That's just crazy and going to cause all kinds of conspiracies of why Spain got a penalty but England didn't... The sport has to be more black and white, not technicolor.

They don’t want players diving to stop crosses or shots with their hands behind their backs. I’m okay with the rule because you can’t be expected to go at that pace to defend without moving your arms.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
They don’t want players diving to stop crosses or shots with their hands behind their backs. I’m okay with the rule because you can’t be expected to go at that pace to defend without moving your arms.

But are we going to have scoring chances nullified by an accidental hand ball? Does this become a form of defense? Instead they should make it an indirect free kick, as to at least give a high percentage chance back to attacking team after the inadvertent hand disrupts the play. Sure you will have to tweak the rule (find a way to make the officials role more black and white) but at the end of the day a defending team hand ball in the box should never be considered defending. I feel strongly that it's going to be a nightmare to enforce for the officials. They will be criticized heavily if it plays an important part of a game where one of the teams feels they got cheated based on interpretation of someone else's intent.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
There will be a couple of surprises since the 4 best 3rd place teams also move on.

I think Scotland could surprise and move to the group stage. They play hard and will be very hungry to beat England.

I think people underestimate Hungary because of the group - Germany hasn’t been good recently and France has found ways to completely duff tournaments in the past. I wouldn’t bet on it happening, but it really wouldn’t surprise me if they somehow snuck through especially since the other three will play real hard against each other.

I think Austria and Ukraine could be the top 2 in their group. This Dutch team isn’t that good and missing out on your best player stings (VVD).

People sleeping on Denmark despite their FIFA ranking.

Also not enough people are picking Italy as favourites. That’s a damn good team.

Can't agree more lol.

Italy has a solid team too, I put my bet in for Belgium to take it this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad