Injury Report: Euro 2020, June 11 - July 11, TSN & TVA Sports: Kickoff

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
England has been winning the pre-tournament media awards ever since I’ve been watching. If they couldn’t get it done with the Golden Generation (Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Scholes, Owen, Ferdinand, Terry), they certainly aren’t winning it with this group against a deeper field.

Don't see them winning this either but it's a better team than what went to the semis in Russia and tons of youth ready to break out. Not as many egos in the squad as in the Gerrard and Lampard days either. Just gonna be a tough road with a potential Portugal round of 16 matchup.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Don't see them winning this either but it's a better team than what went to the semis in Russia and tons of youth ready to break out. Not as many egos in the squad as in the Gerrard and Lampard days either. Just gonna be a tough road with a potential Portugal round of 16 matchup.

How much better though? That back 4 is an issue. You have teams like Italy that have Bonucci and Chiellini. Portugal with Dias and Pepe. France with Varane and Kimpembe. England have Mings and Stones. And because of that, they are forced to play two holding mids in Rice and Phillips. They can’t really press the ball forward well enough.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
How much better though? That back 4 is an issue. You have teams like Italy that have Bonucci and Chiellini. Portugal with Dias and Pepe. France with Varane and Kimpembe. England have Mings and Stones. And because of that, they are forced to play two holding mids in Rice and Phillips. They can’t really press the ball forward well enough.

We could really use a fit Maguire but if not guys will have to step up for sure. I would rather just play Rice as the CDM since we have too many offensive players to fit in the starting XI. Going forward though it's a better team than two years ago easily. Not like guys like Pepe or Italy's back end are in their primes either.

We'll see! Like I said, I don't expect them to win it either, but we can give anyone problems.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We could really use a fit Maguire but if not guys will have to step up for sure. I would rather just play Rice as the CDM since we have too many offensive players to fit in the starting XI. Going forward though it's a better team than two years ago easily. Not like guys like Pepe or Italy's back end are in their primes either.

We'll see! Like I said, I don't expect them to win it either, but we can give anyone problems.

I expect a coming out party for Grealish (I’m a Villa supporter ;) ). It’s time people realize he’s world class.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
I expect a coming out party for Grealish (I’m a Villa supporter ;) ). It’s time people realize he’s world class.

He should be starting every game but I still don't know what Southgate will do. He's so good though, England needs that kind of creativity in the last third!

I'm a Liverpool fan who is sad for Trent but if we have to lose someone it might as well be at RB...

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Turkey in turtle mode, this won't end well... They should play short passes instead of long balls to no one, I know it's hard with Italy's pressing, but they will struggle to do anything otherwise.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Well, 3-0... 237182-full.png

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Kind of wild that this is the first time Italy has scored 3 in a Euro match.

Not the same team as in the previous 30+ years. They aren’t built from the back, but the back is the old guard (Chiellini and Bonucci) with younger wingers. The midfield and forwards are probably the best group ever.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not the same team as in the previous 30+ years. They aren’t built from the back, but the back is the old guard (Chiellini and Bonucci) with younger wingers. The midfield and forwards are probably the best group ever.

Oh yes this is true. I watched their U20 team a couple of years ago and it was wild the type of football they were playing. Not the ancient slow Italian style from years previous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad