News Article: Eugene Melnyk lawsuits:too many to count...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think it is silly, but it is serving its purpose. Melnyk's lawyers know what they are doing and I'm sure their strategy is all set. This is not meant to be seen as a defence for him, just stating that the legal profession is what it is with regards to this type of stuff. Some lawyers love these types of clients, others may not...but so long as the cheques clear (for them lol) they can pretty much do anything "silly" and have it work for them

There are plenty of very bad lawyers. Melnyk probably can't afford good ones and he's probably told the ones he has retained to stall as much as possible hence why they are arguing stupid stuff and getting called out for it.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk's lawyers told him "stalling this is dumb it is only going to cost you more money" but we all know how much of an abject moron Melnyk is.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Maybe Gene would then give him back the company vehicle that he's had access to forever but took away this year?

Cats should be driving:

upload_2019-11-14_11-16-33.jpeg

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
is this a real thing?

Played hockey with the guy, he had mentioned it but I suppose it could have been a joke, I didn't take it as one though. I have encountered many current and former Senators employees who routinely are happy to relay stories of the owners frugality, there's too much smoke there so to speak for me personally to not believe it.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Played hockey with the guy, he had mentioned it but I suppose it could have been a joke, I didn't take it as one though. I have encountered many current and former Senators employees who routinely are happy to relay stories of the owners frugality, there's too much smoke there so to speak for me personally to not believe it.

This is Harold Ballard territory

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
There are plenty of very bad lawyers. Melnyk probably can't afford good ones and he's probably told the ones he has retained to stall as much as possible hence why they are arguing stupid stuff and getting called out for it.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk's lawyers told him "stalling this is dumb it is only going to cost you more money" but we all know how much of an abject moron Melnyk is.

Melnyk's Toronto counsel is copied on the documents as a courtesy and is at a large reputable firm. Not every lawyer at those firms is great, but they are all essentially better than competent.

I am sure the US lawyers aren't working without getting their retainer topped up first. The practice is very different down there in many ways.

Eugene wouldn't be the first client to ignore his advice. His lawyers in the US may see this as a one-off engagement and will happily levy large bills as they have no thoughts of a long term client relationship.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ultimately the Lawyers will do as their client wishes regardless of their advice, so it's hard to really know if it's a legal stall tactic recommended by his legal team or just him being petty as per usual.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This is Harold Ballard territory

I will toss a few others that I have directly confirmed, the office supply thing is true in that they have virtually no funding for office supplies and at times need to bring supplies into work. Additionally at least as of a few weeks ago the office cleaning staff was let go and that responsibility was downloaded onto the current employees.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I will toss a few others that I have directly confirmed, the office supply thing is true in that they have virtually no funding for office supplies and at times need to bring supplies into work. Additionally at least as of a few weeks ago the office cleaning staff was let go and that responsibility was downloaded onto the current employees.

If true that is getting pretty close to a massive constructive dismissal.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Everything is perfectly normal folks, nothing to see here, the Ottawa Senators are a completely viable business and Eugene Melnyk and Pierre Dorion are doing everything in their power to rebuild this organization properly. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->