Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Houston has 21 Fortune 500 HQs, the 5th largest population in the US, the 4th highest per capita GDP and the 8th largest DMA. Houston has an NHL ready arena which is desperate for a 2nd tenant. Ottawa is a government town with low corporate support, a small DMA and an arena 30 KM from downtown with no mass transit options.

It’s not a fair fight.

Having money does not equal having an interest in hockey, or a will to invest in it.

Give it up. If Houston had wanted a team, they could've easily gotten once over the last three expansion cycles, and didn't.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Having money does not equal having an interest in hockey, or a will to invest in it.

Give it up. If Houston had wanted a team, they could've easily gotten once over the last three expansion cycles, and didn't.
By the way Dallas has the 3rd highest attendance in the NHL ahead of Toronto.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Take a look at footage of the games. Tons of empty seats. Attendance figures aren't as accurate as you think.
The rink looks pretty full during highlights. I think you might be making this up. Did you research this tonight or do you just inherently remember the stands from all the Stars game you watched this year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The rink looks pretty full during highlights. I think you might be making this up. Did you research this tonight or do you just inherently remember the stands from all the Stars game you watched this year.

lol, then go watch some footage.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Everyone knows the leafs suck. A new team in the GTA would be a godsend. People dying to see a winning team for 60 years.
Where is this winning team??? All we have here is a team that finishes at the bottom of the league, drafts high and trades its stars. People waiting for a winning team for 60 years are going to wait another 60 with Melnyk meddling in hockey ops.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
lol, then go watch some footage.
So I found some video from this season and it looks like a full house in Dallas in both games. I don’t know what you are looking at. I think you are just making things up to backup your uninformed statement.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Where is this winning team??? All we have here is a team that finishes at the bottom of the league, drafts high and trades its stars. People waiting for a winning team for 60 years are going to wait another 60 with Melnyk meddling in hockey ops.
Reminds me of listening to FAN590 a couple of summers ago when the hosts were discussing the inevitable cup wins on the horizon for the Leafs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So I found some video from this season and it looks like a full house in Dallas in both games. I don’t know what you are looking at. I think you are just making things up to backup your uninformed statement.

First game I checked, granted Arizona isn't much of a draw.

Capture.PNG

Next game I found was the hawks, so original 6 team having a bad year,

Capture.PNG

And finally a good team having a good year in the avs,

Capture.PNG

Literally the first 3 home games I found youtube clips for, all showing empty seats. Idk if that's the norm, but it's certainly not hard to find video showing empty seats in Dallas...

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I lived there, my guess is you were watching either a Cowboys or Mavericks game not the stars. Not a difficult ticket to get your hands on and very cheap. Heck, you could see players going out to bars, etc and nobody even knew who they were.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
First game I checked, granted Arizona isn't much of a draw.

View attachment 347067

Next game I found was the hawks, so original 6 team having a bad year,

View attachment 347070

And finally a good team having a good year in the avs,

View attachment 347071

Literally the first 3 home games I found youtube clips for, all showing empty seats. Idk if that's the norm, but it's certainly not hard to find video showing empty seats in Dallas...
The norm is the seats fill up throughout the 1st period, never before face off. In general the lower bowl, which is all you can see in highlights, is generally very full, more so than Montreal for instance.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I lived there, my guess is you were watching either a Cowboys or Mavericks game not the stars. Not a difficult ticket to get your hands on and very cheap. Heck, you could see players going out to bars, etc and nobody even knew who they were.
Just looking at 2019/20.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The norm is the seats fill up throughout the 1st period, never before face off. In general the lower bowl, which is all you can see in highlights, is generally very full, more so than Montreal for instance.

If they're not full in the middle of the third period during a tie game, chances are good they were never full.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If they're not full in the middle of the third period during a tie game, chances are good they were never full.
Just go to YouTube and You can get all the games highlights. You can see the games are highly attended. For an even comparison, look at Montreal as well and you will see that they are very similar looks.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Just go to YouTube and You can get all the games highlights. You can see the games are highly attended. For an even comparison, look at Montreal as well and you will see that they are very similar looks.

There's been Youtube highlights posted in this thread.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You are right that the tickets are relatively cheap and the gate revenue is relatively low. However overall revenues for Dallas are the same as Vancouver and Vegas and very close to Philly and the Caps. Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and of course Ottawa all have much lower total revenues than Dallas. This has gone completely sideways so to get back on track, I would be good if the Sens relocated to Houston so they could stop being a pathetic low budget team with no corporate support and an arena on the outskirts of the suburbs with no mass transit options.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There's been Youtube highlights posted in this thread.
Can you tell me what else was going on at the same time as the Avs game shown as an example ( which had a listed attendance over 18K)

The Cowboys were hosting the Rams in the final reg season game with a playoff spot on the line.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Can you tell me what else was going on at the same time as the Avs game shown as an example ( which had a listed attendance over 18K)

The Cowboys were hosting the Rams in the final reg season game with a playoff spot on the line.

That's one of the problems of being, at the best, the fourth most popular sports team in the city.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's one of the problems of being, at the best, the fourth most popular sports team in the city.
How does this apply to Houston being a great potential market for the NHL.

Please also tell me which NHL team is more popular than an NFL, NBA or MLB in a US market.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
You are right that the tickets are relatively cheap and the gate revenue is relatively low. However overall revenues for Dallas are the same as Vancouver and Vegas and very close to Philly and the Caps. Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and of course Ottawa all have much lower total revenues than Dallas. This has gone completely sideways so to get back on track, I would be good if the Sens relocated to Houston so they could stop being a pathetic low budget team with no corporate support and an arena on the outskirts of the suburbs with no mass transit options.
The stars have done a fabulous job marketing hockey in the city. All the rinks are sponsored by the team to get younger players involved early. At the same time you are very wrong in ticket sales, they paper the arena and many people don't even go with free tickets. It's a 4th string sport in Dallas and a distant 4th. The affluent tend to be massive Football, Basketball and Baseball fans so it struggles for a hardcore fanbase. College, AHL, etc hockey does not even register down there thus negating the hype machine. Meanwhile people live and die for football, basketball and baseball from the high school level up. Friday Night Lights is real for 3 sports, one of them not at all

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
How does this apply to Houston being a great potential market for the NHL.

Please also tell me which NHL team is more popular than an NFL, NBA or MLB in a US market.

Off the top of my head I'd guess the Flyers, Red Wings, Wild, Avalanche,Rangers over the Nets, and maybe the Blackhawks over the White Sox, Capitals over the Wizards, the Lightning over the Rays, and the Kings over the Clippers.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Off the top of my head I'd guess the Flyers, Red Wings, Wild, Avalanche,Rangers over the Nets, and maybe the Blackhawks over the White Sox, Capitals over the Wizards, the Lightning over the Rays, and the Kings over the Clippers.
No to all except maybe Lightning over Rays but I still think Rays win out. The others are all distant. NHL is a niche league everywhere in the US.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
No to all except maybe Lightning over Rays but I still think Rays win out. The others are all distant. NHL is a niche league everywhere in the US.

It's beyond absurd to believe that the Red Wings are distant in popularity to the Pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->