Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Surprisingly, this tweet is not so factual.

Quite a few errors and the biggest omission scouting directors... like our Mikko Ruutu.

Read more about it in the HFSens draft thread....
If they didn't list scouting directors for any team, then the list is consistent and accurate.

It also shows Melnyk's cheapness in an area that is more impotant to his franchise than any other NHL team.

Maybe he can get some money from the other owners to do a better job in the role of farm team for the league...

Reactions: BatherSeason

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I am really hoping Melnyk sells and the team relocates. I don’t believe Melnyk will spend what is required to maximize the young core being built. I can follow the team just as well out of Houston or somewhere else.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Breaking down the Melnyk interview

Thoughts in Bold: Melnyk Speaks on the Fan 590

His strategy was simple: he wanted a new stadium that the taxpaying community would pay for.
Like many other owners of the era, he wanted to portray his baseball organization as poor to create imbue the notion that unless his team received a new building, they would never be able to create and sustain long-term success.
To generate sympathy and rally more fans behind his cause, Huizenga had the idea to spend frivolously between 1995 to 1997 to try and deliver a World Series so that he could have an easier time with his publicly-subsidized stadium efforts as fans were caught up in the championship honeymoon period.
In 1997, the Marlins won the World Series and a few short weeks after, they dealt Moises Alou. He was the first casualty of Huizenga’s scheme that eventually saw players like Robb Nenn, Bobby Bonilla, Al Leiter, Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, Charles Johnson, Devon White and Jeff Conine move on.
Huizenga literally tore down a championship roster in the pursuit of a new stadium.
Interestingly, the remnants of a few of these trades eventually wound up helping the Marlins win another World Series in 2003, so for Melnyk to say that a teardown of this magnitude has not been done before is a bit disingenuous

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I am really hoping Melnyk sells and the team relocates. I don’t believe Melnyk will spend what is required to maximize the young core being built. I can follow the team just as well out of Houston or somewhere else.
I'm hoping he sells, so that I can spend money on the team I love again.

Reactions: BatherSeason

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You love this team but want them to relocate AFTER Eugene sells?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Breaking down the Melnyk interview

Thoughts in Bold: Melnyk Speaks on the Fan 590

His strategy was simple: he wanted a new stadium that the taxpaying community would pay for.
Like many other owners of the era, he wanted to portray his baseball organization as poor to create imbue the notion that unless his team received a new building, they would never be able to create and sustain long-term success.
To generate sympathy and rally more fans behind his cause, Huizenga had the idea to spend frivolously between 1995 to 1997 to try and deliver a World Series so that he could have an easier time with his publicly-subsidized stadium efforts as fans were caught up in the championship honeymoon period.
In 1997, the Marlins won the World Series and a few short weeks after, they dealt Moises Alou. He was the first casualty of Huizenga’s scheme that eventually saw players like Robb Nenn, Bobby Bonilla, Al Leiter, Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, Charles Johnson, Devon White and Jeff Conine move on.
Huizenga literally tore down a championship roster in the pursuit of a new stadium.
Interestingly, the remnants of a few of these trades eventually wound up helping the Marlins win another World Series in 2003, so for Melnyk to say that a teardown of this magnitude has not been done before is a bit disingenuous

You know, as much as I love sports, and am a fan of the Sens (and hockey in general) I really can't justify putting taxpayer dollars into a facility for a professional sports team. If you're in a for-profit business, your expenses are your responsibility. Spend those tax dollars on community sports facilities, better schools, and anything else for the public good. But not as a subsidy to a billionaire (or mega millionaire, depending what financial accounts people follow).

And yes, I know that a bazillion other cities throw out the red carpet for pro sports teams. That doesn't make it right. Especially now when we see how fragile the economy (and civilization in general) can be.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You know, as much as I love sports, and am a fan of the Sens (and hockey in general) I really can't justify putting taxpayer dollars into a facility for a professional sports team. If you're in a for-profit business, your expenses are your responsibility. Spend those tax dollars on community sports facilities, better schools, and anything else for the public good. But not as a subsidy to a billionaire (or mega millionaire, depending what financial accounts people follow).

And yes, I know that a bazillion other cities throw out the red carpet for pro sports teams. That doesn't make it right. Especially now when we see how fragile the economy (and civilization in general) can be.
If the league has a problem with their business model, then they should solve it.

They could divide revenue up 40/40 and set aside 20% for a building renewal/replacement program. Let each of them make the case to each other that they need new buildings.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't think businesses should be subsidized by the government (through I recognize that it is prevalent in a lot of industries which creates an arms race). Taxpayers should not be forced to support sports teams in general. That said, in conjunction with city planning and job creation strategies, a new arena can be a positive thing for a city, provided it is done in a reasonable manner. The jobs and taxes from a sports team (or the revitalization that can occur if a stadium is built in the right spot) can be really beneficial.

I don't mind tax deferrals based on some sort of metric. Jobs, taxes, revenues, etc.. Similarly, if revenues exceed certain targets, maybe the tax deferrals end or something. Something that it makes it easier to get it built because the city is taking on some of the risk. Hell, maybe even the city could build it with an agreement from Melnyk to lease it for the Sens. I just don't want city funds paying for Melnyk to build a stadium and then own it himself. That is a bridge too far.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You love this team but want them to relocate AFTER Eugene sells?
Yup. I cant stand Euge. As for relocating, I’m sick of having a team that can’t compete financially with other top teams and a new owner won’t change that.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yup. I cant stand Euge. As for relocating, I’m sick of having a team that can’t compete financially with other top teams and a new owner won’t change that.
No, but a new owner may actually hire people to effectively run the operation. More scouts, an assistant GM not named Eugene, a POHO, etc.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
1) You are making unproven assumptions.

2) There are ways to compete without spending to the cap every year.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
No, but a new owner may actually hire people to effectively run the operation. More scouts, an assistant GM not named Eugene, a POHO, etc.

No one would buy this team for a reasonable price. Euge won’t accept a low offer. The market is shrinking. Fans are proven to be fickle. Many don’t even support the team anymore. Too wrapped up in the past and not thinking about the future. It’s simply a bad situation for everyone.

Euge stated he has his ten year plan going. Sadly we are likely stuck and he will only do what he can with the limited income this team makes.

Anyhow, one more year of building. Hopefully, after a successful draft, the fans will be back.

It is shite state of affairs, Tommy.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Too wrapped up in the past and not thinking about the future
This is false. I dont even see many discussions about the past in the past few pages. We spent a good chunk of time discussing Lebreton, something that was supposed to come in the future. That's not "wrapped up in the past". Discussing the size and ability of the current front office, that's something also that represents the future of this organization. Discussing how long the new CEO, COO will last, also future.

We all see the future and the future with Melnyk looks as bleak as the past and the present. Why would the future be better than the past or the present? Whats gonna change? Has he hired a POHO yet? Is he gonna hire a competent front office? Nope. New arena deal? Nope, Melnyk torpedoed that. When I think about the future with Eugene at the helm, I see a very limited front office and the continued inability to re-sign star players with an owner who meddles more than any other in the league. Whether we discuss the past, present or future, they all look pretty bad with Eugene paying the bills.

Fans are proven to be fickle.
Who is wrapped up in the past? I see lots of Sens fans around the city, just because they wont buy tickets to support Melnyk proves nothing. This is also a false statement. Fans in this city are still fans, I dont know any who have switched allegiances, more have just become disinterested. Fickle is the wrong word.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Too wrapped up in the past and not thinking about the future.

I think it's the complete, opposite, actually. Fans have moved on from the past, and have largely forgotten about Karlsson, Stone, Alfredsson, etc.

Most questions, and concerns, are about the future:

• Will there be a downtown arena that doesn't require people trekking to Kanata to watch a game?
• Will there be a CEO/COO/President that isn't embroiled in some sort of scandal and can establish some level of stability and rebuild/refresh the brand?
• Will we be able to sign free-agents/acquire established players to surround our prospects so they can grow, or are we going to become some combination of the mid-00's Oilers and Coyotes?

Right now, all we have is, "Be excited because we have Chabot, Tkachuk and a bunch of draft picks! Forget that we're in last place and look at the draft picks!"

Maybe things fall our way and we draft Lafreniere, and that'll distract from a lot of those other questions (which would be great). But they might not. We might end up with Perfetti and Rossi instead, which is fine, but certainly not a franchise-changing haul.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think it's the complete, opposite, actually. Fans have moved on from the past, and have largely forgotten about Karlsson, Stone, Alfredsson, etc.

Most questions, and concerns, are about the future:

• Will there be a downtown arena that doesn't require people trekking to Kanata to watch a game?
• Will there be a CEO/COO/President that isn't embroiled in some sort of scandal and can establish some level of stability?
• Will we be able to sign free-agents/acquire established players to surround our prospects so they can grow, or are we going to become some combination of the mid-00's Oilers and Coyotes?

Right now, all we have is, "Be excited because we have Chabot, Tkachuk and a bunch of draft picks! Forget that we're in last place and look at the draft picks!"

Maybe things fall our way and we draft Lafreniere, and that'll distract from a lot of those other questions (which would be great). But they might not. We might end up with Perfetti and Rossi instead, which is fine, but certainly not a franchise-changing haul.
I think some posters are too wrapped up in the fact that people were upset about the past.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No one would buy this team for a reasonable price. Euge won’t accept a low offer.
Sens fans need to help modify Eugene’s perception of “a reasonable price”.

Boycott this owner to further his embarrassment and ensure a low offer becomes reasonable.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
1) You are making unproven assumptions.

2) There are ways to compete without spending to the cap every year.
I don’t care. I want a cap team or at least one that can be. No more budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad