Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Can there be anything more Ottawa then an Senators reporter writing an article about the team and owner from a Toronto radio station transcript?

Nothing more Melnyck then preaching pride of Ottawa fans to a Toronto audience.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I am well aware of the situation. Bryden's whole house of credit cards came crashing down when Enron collapsed. Melnyk stepped in, boasted how he would not be out bid, and got the team for a relative song of $130M, not $93M, and the Senators debt went from $400M to $50M after Melnyk's proposal was accepted.

It was not a risky market. It was an undercapitalized business that was swimming in debt because Bryden bought the franchise with debt. It was obvious to everyone except dolts like Howard Bloom, the man who guaranteed the team was moving to Portland only to never be heard again on Ottawa radio afterward, that the team was in no danger of folding.

Hockey in Canada is a risky bet in large part because one of the primary keys to operating at a profit or loss is the dollar exchange rate and that's something you can't control.

Running any form of business and having your primary driver of profitability not within your span of control is inherently risky

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Spend your money Eugene. Until then most people won't believe your bull.

Why on earth would you need European scouts in a year that you have 9 picks in the first three rounds? Especially when all these sports publications put out their "top 100 draft rankings"? Spending money on scouts is stupid when you can just go to the newsstand and pick up any old magazine that will give you the rankings. :sarcasm:

Reactions: DrEasy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

It’s weird that we seem to be getting the Russian scouting too. It is obvious we like our Swedes. Is it worth it to spend money on the two are three that pan out from Central Europe? No too sure. There are quite a few good ones this year.

Most have more than one for Swedes, Finns and/or Russians.

Maybe Dorion is a machine. He watches 40 games a day in 12 languages.

We must have had someone in Eastern Europe.

A 10-year snapshot of the NHL draft from 2010 to 2019 - TheHockeyNews

I must say pretty poor move for Eugenius. Pun intended.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I found the part about “imagine saying in Toronto that you’re going into a rebuild and you’re going to gut the team” (paraphrase) suggesting that’s what the sens did three years ago pretty disingenuous. That’s not what happened, the sens pretended until the last possible moment to be competing and to have a legitimate intention to sign their free agents. After they liquidated their assets they came out with the rebuild messaging.

It’s pretty obvious why he likes to do his interviews there, those were such softballs interspersed with compliments and fawning that the interview couldn’t have been better for him if it had been scripted (and I’m not ruling that out).

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I found the part about “imagine saying in Toronto that you’re going into a rebuild and you’re going to gut the team” (paraphrase) suggesting that’s what the sens did three years ago pretty disingenuous. That’s not what happened, the sens pretended until the last possible moment to be competing and to have a legitimate intention to sign their free agents. After they liquidated their assets they came out with the rebuild messaging.

It’s pretty obvious why he likes to do his interviews there, those were such softballs interspersed with compliments and fawning that the interview couldn’t have been better for him if it had been scripted (and I’m not ruling that out).
The host, Roger Lajoie, is his friend and was Vice President of the belleville Sens at one point

Reactions: Bileur

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

It's laughable that people defend this two faced liar.

The financially motivated firesale was orchestrated by Melnyk. They never had any intention of signing the UFA'S.

Just more lies designed to sell tickets and fool the rubes.

Reactions: Ed Wood

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It might as well have been a paid advertisement.

Smart thinking. Saving money again.

I also think it was a quiet trial run at building some positive news in the media. He will be more involved locally when things are sorted. The plan I figure is that these ‘happy future calls’ will eventually lead to a better relationship with the remaining fans. The other rebuild.

He ain’t leaving. That’s for sure.

He won’t be back in town for a year. Radio calls will be the norm.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

I also think it was a quiet trial run at building some positive news in the media. He will be more involved locally when things are sorted. The plan I figure is that these ‘happy future calls’ will eventually lead to a better relationship with the remaining fans. The other rebuild.

Hope he does lots of "interviews".

Should help fuel #Melnykout the more he opens his mouth.

Lawsuits still pending...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Only one pending lawsuit last I heard. I doubt you have any legitimate updates on that. As I said before, most are settled without announcements.
Ya, just one tiny insignificant lawsuit.

How much was Eugene being sued for again?

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

This is the criminal part in all this. I get having a small payroll and not competing with the Leafs on free agents. But then you need to invest in something, whether it's scouts or analytics or a decent front office, to have some competitive advantage. We're being outspent and outsmarted in every facet of the game and business, and that's what makes things so gloomy to me. Our only solace is that because we suck so bad we get to pick higher than others, and that's not something to be proud of.

Reactions: Ed Wood

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Lets just hope the fans arent stupid enough to fall for it and keep that arena empty.

#Melnykgof***yourself

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad