Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those people are morons. Kanata is Ottawa. But obviously the rink would be better in the core.

To be fair, when the rink was built Ottawa hadn't amalgamated yet so Kanata wasn't part of Ottawa. I don't blame people from outside of Ottawa for not knowing about something that is pretty meaningless to anyone that it has no direct impact on, though we are talking about being almost 20 years behind at this point.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
You cant use the athletic to judge the arena. They judge it based on where the journalists sit. Which is in the rafters.
I have never had a bad seat in the CTC. Even last row of the 300's on the end were good seats.

Scotia Bank Arena or whatever they call it now, where the leafs play, I had tickets where you couldnt see the play once it got past the blue line. Like WTF.
anonymous-20140329182809.jpg

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You cant use the athletic to judge the arena. They judge it based on where the journalists sit. Which is in the rafters.
I have never had a bad seat in the CTC. Even last row of the 300's on the end were good seats.

Scotia Bank Arena or whatever they call it now, where the leafs play, I had tickets where you couldnt see the play once it got past the blue line. Like WTF.

Holy crap that's bad.

ACC/Scotiabank Arena is pretty nice where I have sat. I was always happy from the glass to the lower 300s,. I have been in the upper 300s and it really sucks. You end up watching the TV instead of the ice. Who pays for that shit.

I have also been in the scotia bank suites and have toured the press box. That's pretty sweet.

Canadian Tire is still my favorite for obvious reasons.... except the drive. ;)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, one nice thing about the ctc is even the worst seats are actually pretty good. That can't be said for som other arenas.

On the flip side, does offering obstructed view seats mean the arena is worse than if they just got rid of those seats? How many of the seats are obstructed? Maybe 1000? Thats probably a bit high.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
They are constantly renovating and adding new entertainment zones and knocking out suites. I like the arena, of course location is what it is, but love my seats, love Club Bell, Lexus Lounge, Fan Deck , etc...and where the bands now play

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
To be fair, when the rink was built Ottawa hadn't amalgamated yet so Kanata wasn't part of Ottawa. I don't blame people from outside of Ottawa for not knowing about something that is pretty meaningless to anyone that it has no direct impact on, though we are talking about being almost 20 years behind at this point.

Also, when I drive out with out of towners they 100% always make a joke/comment about passing cows before hitting the arena.

It’s not crazy to think it’s out of the city.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
I've been to the majority of the rinks in the NHL to watch a game. Amusingly the last two I was in before COVID were Vegas and Montreal, 1 and 2 on their list. I'd put the CTC in the bottom half of the league in terms of the facility itself - it is certainly not the best, but not the worst either. The seating / sightlines are actually very good, and the concourses are only so-so. I will agree with @coladin that it has absolutely improved over the last 10 years though - better today than it ever was, besides the fact that they've so drastically reduced staff in the arena on game day to save some money.

The location is what it is (and I live nearby) but The Athletic probably slams it because the journalists all stay downtown with the players and hate the commute. And I get people hating the commute. But if the arena hadn't been doomed by the OMB ruling in the 1990s and they had been able to develop the area around the arena in to hotels, shopping, restaurants, etc. as originally planned then at least it wouldn't be an arena sitting in a field surrounded by offices and car dealerships ... a lot of NHL arenas (or even other major sports venues for other leagues that I've been to e.g. soccer, rugby, cricket, baseball, football, etc.) are not exactly right downtown but they've had a lot built up around them to actually allow an evening out near the facility.

That being said though, what Edmonton has done with the Ice District really opened my eyes. Yes, Rogers Place is a nice arena and a great place to watch the game, but more importantly being downtown Edmonton instead of out where Northlands Coliseum used to be, has created an amazing vibe around the arena that didn't used to exist - with hotels, bars, restaurants, etc. all catering to the NHL crown on game nights, the ability to get to the arena by walking inside even on January evenings, etc.. I'd be happy to commute to downtown Ottawa for a game for the equivalent experience here.

We can only hope Melnyk sells to a real owner and they can make Lebreton happen, and then I can change my user handle back.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Like it or not, there will have to be something along the lines of what happened in Edmonton, to get the Senators into a downtown location ..... and with the current owner ...... who does not seem to be even remotely interested in considering selling the Franchise. People who hate him will have to hold their noses, and put the Team first to get on board with a formula, like they used in Edmonton, to get an Arena downtown.

There is no other way I see this happening.

Reactions: Flamingo

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I’ve been two American Airlines, Nassau Coliseum, Scotia Bank Arena and CTC and I can say with full confidence Nassau is the worst arena I’ve ever been, albeit this was prior to the renovations. I am biased towards CTC I actually quiet enjoy it, but American Airlines Arena was the nicest venue I’ve ever been too, I am surprised as to the low ranking.
Great pre and post game events and venues, great concession and site lines.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I’ve been two American Airlines, Nassau Coliseum, Scotia Bank Arena and CTC and I can say with full confidence Nassau is the worst arena I’ve ever been, albeit this was prior to the renovations. I am biased towards CTC I actually quiet enjoy it, but American Airlines Arena was the nicest venue I’ve ever been too, I am surprised as to the low ranking.
Great pre and post game events and venues, great concession and site lines.
I've been to Nassau Coliseum pre renovation too and it's so old it's great. It's like a bigger rink where I learned to skate in. Sat 8 rows from the ice and watched the Sens lose 4-1 at the end of the season.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I've been to Nassau Coliseum pre renovation too and it's so old it's great. It's like a bigger rink where I learned to skate in. Sat 8 rows from the ice and watched the Sens lose 4-1 at the end of the season.
I saw Z.Smith debut and then a few years later Pens Vs Isles.. met Bill Guerin.. he was just standing in the hallway.
But yes it was very old and very crowded.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I made a post a little while back about public funding for some newly constructed arenas. Out of the 6 or 7 completed since 2010, only 1 (Vegas) didn't receive a majority of their funding mechanisms through the public. But not in Ottawa, no sir. City council are too busy trying to figure out how the LRT project came in 200% over budget, still functioning with issues and about 28 months late. Really excel at collecting and raising property taxes though. So there's that.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I can't believe they ranked the Panthers' arena ahead of the Sens. It's very dark and dingy and also seemed to be located in the middle of nowhere when I went there. Although, I am comparing two shit sandwiches to each other lol

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I made a post a little while back about public funding for some newly constructed arenas. Out of the 6 or 7 completed since 2010, only 1 (Vegas) didn't receive a majority of their funding mechanisms through the public. But not in Ottawa, no sir. City council are too busy trying to figure out how the LRT project came in 200% over budget, still functioning with issues and about 28 months late. Really excel at collecting and raising property taxes though. So there's that.
Public money to fund an arena for Melnyk who is putting no money into the team? Yeah that’s a big no.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I quite liked the arena itself although it's been many years since I've been there. I certainly didn't see anything worth complaining about in comparison to the other arena's I've been to. Clearly location is the primary issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad