Ethics of vaccine distribution

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
Imagine not understanding all that Bill Gates has done for the world from a humanitarian perspective...he has spent over $50 billion dollars in supporting humanitarian causes, he has provided anti-malaria to half a continent and had a massive success and helping children with polio vaccines. He has donated half his wealth to charity and when he passes he will donate even more.

Those who don't do their research are leading the charge of absolute idiocy here. Sorry, the man isn't the problem...maybe you are.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Imagine not understanding all that Bill Gates has done for the world from a humanitarian perspective...he has spent over $50 billion dollars in supporting humanitarian causes, he has provided anti-malaria to half a continent and had a massive success and helping children with polio vaccines. He has donated half his wealth to charity and when he passes he will donate even more.

Those who don't do their research are leading the charge of absolute idiocy here. Sorry, the man isn't the problem...maybe you are.
didn't he get nailed for anti-trust laws back in 1998 for trying to monopolize Microsoft?

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
didn't he get nailed for anti-trust laws back in 1998 for trying to monopolize Microsoft?

Unsure what that has to do with what I said? I didn't mention business with Microsoft, mind you the decision was appealed, overturned and then a settlement was reached and conclusions/arguments can be made either way of the good or bad of that event. Microsoft was the first of it's kind and just so hard to compare to the world of Vaccines. I'm not arguing the ethics of doing business but Bill Gates the humanitarian deserves to be respected more than he is being given credit.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What does some questionable business practices with Microsoft have to do with this track record of charitable donations? So because of an anti-trust case in 1998, that invalidates the billions he has donated and raises for health initiatives over the last few decades?

Reactions: Summer Rose

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Unsure what that has to do with what I said? I didn't mention business with Microsoft, mind you the decision was appealed, overturned and then a settlement was reached and conclusions/arguments can be made either way of the good or bad of that event. Microsoft was the first of it's kind and just so hard to compare to the world of Vaccines. I'm not arguing the ethics of doing business but Bill Gates the humanitarian deserves to be respected more than he is being given credit.
my point is he isn't exactly a saint people wanna portray him as

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What does some questionable business practices with Microsoft have to do with this track record of charitable donations? So because of an anti-trust case in 1998, that invalidates the billions he has donated and raises for health initiatives over the last few decades?
he just happened to start is foundation in 2000 immediately after settling his anti-trust lawsuit...how convenient.

Again, he's not exactly a saint

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
he just happened to start is foundation in 2000 immediately after settling his anti-trust lawsuit...how convenient.

Convenient how? Again, no one claimed he was a saint.

You're "just asking questions" here, which is an intellectually dishonest way to frame wild accusations as questions rather than statements.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Convenient how? Again, no one claimed he was a saint.

You're "just asking questions" here, which is an intellectually dishonest way to frame wild accusations as questions rather than statements.
my opinion is Bill Gates isn't as great as a humanitarian as everyone wants to think...and these questions are fair questions to ask
I'm sorry my opinion doesn't jive with yours

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011

I don't think your point is fair, no one is saying he is a Saint, but many are saying he is the devil. If all we have to condemn the man is a 1998 suit that was settled and appealed in the favor of his company, i would say he is pretty good, wouldn't you? or has the court of public opinion spoken and we are going to ignore the fact based, proven contributions he has made to the world and the health of it? Not to mention he funds education for people to have access to high quality education (see Khan academy).

I have no skin in the game but I would be confident to argue he has done more for humans than any other billionaire (or person) in modern day, with very minimal competition - that is not saying there isn't competition but he is certainly up there even if you don't agree with him at the #1 spot.

Reactions: Macbanan

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
my opinion is Bill Gates isn't as great as a humanitarian as everyone wants to think...and these questions are fair questions to ask
I'm sorry my opinion doesn't jive with yours
It has nothing to do with your "opinion" being different, and everything to do with your intellectual dishonesty. If you don't think Bill Gates has a good track record of humanitarianism despite his massive donations, activism, actual successes in malaria and polio reduction, etc., provide some actual reasoning for it. All you're doing right now is disguising accusations as questions without supporting them in any way in an effort to shift the burden of proof onto everyone else to defend Bill Gates against your conspiracy garbage.

Reactions: Summer Rose

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It has nothing to do with your "opinion" being different, and everything to do with your intellectual dishonesty. If you don't think Bill Gates has a good track record of humanitarianism despite his massive donations, activism, actual successes in malaria and polio reduction, etc., provide some actual reasoning for it.
I did...first post
United States v. Microsoft Corp. - Wikipedia.

All you're doing right now is disguising accusations as questions without supporting them in any way in an effort to shift the burden of proof onto everyone else to defend Bill Gates against your conspiracy garbage.
based on what?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just repeating a failed anti-trust case against Microsoft has no bearing on the quality of his humanitarian aid. Provide some actual reasoning for why you think he has intentions here that are anything other but what he says, and what exactly is "convenient" about starting his charity in 2000.
those are relevant question to ask...don't care if I'm labelled a "conspiracy theorist"

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
those are relevant question to ask...don't care if I'm labelled a "conspiracy theorist"

You seem to be ignoring all the other facts that overwhelmingly tip the scales to the alternate side of your opinion. Are you just not giving him credit for that? Genuinely asking because if that is the case I think we can move on.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
We probably need a vaccine thread since there's news today about Merck finally getting into the game with two vaccine candidates in development.

But in terms of vaccine distribution, this is something to keep in mind:

Three people in the Moderna trial have had severe adverse reactions to the vaccine, including a person who was ill enough to got urgent care:
He had a severe reaction to Moderna Covid-19 vaccine. He's still a believer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->