Ethics of vaccine distribution

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is hockey related so I figured I'd start another thread. If vaccines become available on a limited basis. Athletes who are some of the highest-profile people that will be at risk of getting Covid if the leagues start up again and will by the nature of team sports be highly at risk of transmitting it to others. And if they do transmit it the leagues might have to close down again. It makes me wonder if athletes will be some of the preferred people to get these vaccines. And if that's the case how ethical would it be to take away vaccines from the elderly and people with poor immune systems?

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Same thing has already happened with tests when this began. Common nobodies had to wait a week to get tested while pro athletes got tested on a whim. Money talks. The world has always been that way and always will be. Sad but true.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
We'll know who preempted testing and cut to the front of the line to get vaccine before it was ready by how they look.

960x0.jpg

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The late phase testing of vaccines is typically done with 50-75k people and it's done looking for any side effects or issues across a large number of people. At that point, they will have tested on several thousand people, so there's some safety, but there still could be risks.

That type of testing could start as soon as this fall or winter if everything goes as planned. It's not a guarantee that the vaccine won't have any side effects or adverse reactions. But what happens if an entire sports team gets the vaccine and there are side effects?

Vaccinating those who are at the highest risk to spread the virus would make sense - those who have the most contact with many different people in say hospitals, schools, stores, or the travel industry. Sports teams do travel to many cities. They have contact with the general public. While healthy, young players are at very low risk of severe symptoms, vaccinating those who travel as part of their job would help eliminate the spread. Should that come before doctors, nurses, paramedics or nursing home workers? Probably not.

Vaccinating those who have compromised immune systems may be tricky. They may not be able to be vaccinated due to side effects. A friend of mine has MS flare-ups every time she gets a flu shot that are bad enough she can barely get out of bed for weeks. So, vaccinating the people around them can be the higher priority.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There's already surveys showing at 20+% of people will refuse to be vaccinated due to fear of vaccines:
23 percent say they won’t get a COVID-19 vaccine - The Boston Globe
Millions of Americans will refuse to get a coronavirus vaccine when it becomes available, polls say

That will only get worse.

Most of the vaccines in development are very new technology and RNA/DNA vaccines have never been used in human vaccinations before. Anti-vaxxers are laughed at, but people refusing to give their kids GMO corn is widely accepted. These are genetically engineered vaccines. Social media is already going crazy with fear tactics about these vaccines.

I really hope some new candidates are moving through development which are more traditional vaccinations because there is going to be some legitimate fear of a vaccine what's brand new, has the "genetically modified" label and is going to have people terrified of side effects.

The Oxford vaccine is giving the control group another vaccine as a placebo and still there are concerns that those who did or didn't get the test vaccine will know they did or didn't because of those who get the vaccines seem to have side effects of sore arm, fever and headache. So, this isn't a vaccine that you get and you're fine. Just like people claim to get the flu after the flu shot, that vaccine is going to cause a lot of people to have mild symptoms. And exactly how mild needs to be determined by wide scale testing. Social media amplifies those types of claims.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There's already surveys showing at 20+% of people will refuse to be vaccinated due to fear of vaccines:
23 percent say they won’t get a COVID-19 vaccine - The Boston Globe
Millions of Americans will refuse to get a coronavirus vaccine when it becomes available, polls say

That will only get worse.

Most of the vaccines in development are very new technology and RNA/DNA vaccines have never been used in human vaccinations before. Anti-vaxxers are laughed at, but people refusing to give their kids GMO corn is widely accepted. These are genetically engineered vaccines. Social media is already going crazy with fear tactics about these vaccines.

I really hope some new candidates are moving through development which are more traditional vaccinations because there is going to be some legitimate fear of a vaccine what's brand new, has the "genetically modified" label and is going to have people terrified of side effects.

The Oxford vaccine is giving the control group another vaccine as a placebo and still there are concerns that those who did or didn't get the test vaccine will know they did or didn't because of those who get the vaccines seem to have side effects of sore arm, fever and headache. So, this isn't a vaccine that you get and you're fine. Just like people claim to get the flu after the flu shot, that vaccine is going to cause a lot of people to have mild symptoms. And exactly how mild needs to be determined by wide scale testing. Social media amplifies those types of claims.
That number will rise because a rushed vaccine will not be viewed as being nearly as safe as one that gets through normal approval channels and testing.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You will have a glut of people that will refuse the vaccine because of conspiracies

Guarantee it

Era of echochambers and self research (good thing generally)

Reactions: Confucius

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
I guarantee trump will get it first.
Well obviously. And guess who will get in at basically the same time? Biden. And Pence, and Pelosi, etc.

The rich will be first in line. That's how it's always been and will always be.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I mean, the more morons that refuse the vaccine, the quicker I can get it. Let'em fry.

Yes I'm aware that herd immunity is important

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You will have a glut of people that will refuse the vaccine because of conspiracies

Guarantee it

Era of echochambers and self research (good thing generally)

It wouldn't just be because of conspiracy. I'm nowhere near being an anti-vaxxer, but isn't this hypothetical vaccine being distributed years ahead of normal/safe testing schedules? That's a legitimate concern that doesn't qualify as whacko social media conspiracy theory.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Well obviously. And guess who will get in at basically the same time? Biden. And Pence, and Pelosi, etc.

The rich will be first in line. That's how it's always been and will always be.

I mean, it's pretty important for those people you mentioned to get it first - you don't want the whole government dying off.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It wouldn't just be because of conspiracy. I'm nowhere near being an anti-vaxxer, but isn't this hypothetical vaccine being distributed years ahead of normal/safe testing schedules? That's a legitimate concern that doesn't qualify as whacko social media conspiracy theory.

Same here. I love vaccines. Gimme all the vaccines in the world. I get a flu shot every year. Love vaccines. I ignore every other opinion of anyone who is anti-vax, as a rule.

But I have some pause about a vaccine that is rushed in full-view of the world, given that it's not entirely being rushed out concerns for safety (There are a lot of people eager to end "lockdowns".)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Remember social status/poverty is relative. If you are poor in a Western country, by global standards you are still "rich" and will likely have privileged access to whatever cure/vaccine comes around.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I'm okay with everyone getting the vaccine before me.
I'm by no means an opponent of vaccines, but thinking of that there have been issues with vaccines thrown together as fast as possible, I gladly see it properly tested before I get it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
People with the highest risk should get it first. People with barely any access to healthcare. Some African countries, for instance. That would make the most sense.

Reactions: Albatros

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Will they discover a vaccine is a better question.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
For better or worse ...Money talks

Yes, and that's how most people could be forced to get the vaccine. Your credit card can be cancelled if you're not vaccinated (you're too much of a credit risk to banks), you can't buy tickets to concerts, sports events, public transport. rent a car, book a hotel if not vaccinated. Your children can't go to school if not vaccinated. You cannot enter a hospital if not vaccinated. Your passport is cancelled/can't get a new one if not vaccinated. Your employer must by law prevent you from entering the workplace if not vaccinated etc.

Reactions: Shadowthrone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->