Prospect Info: Ethan Cardwell C 4th round 121st pick

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Pretty cool pick. Don't know much about him as a hockey player, but he has his own podcast (showbound podcast) and interviews a lot of OHL guys. Seems like a great guy.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I didn't do my annual re-entry article this year for the OHL, but I thought that I would give you some more info on Cardwell.

Thought he had a pretty good shot to get drafted last year after finishing the season strongly with Barrie following a trade from Saginaw. But that was not the case. Ultimately, from what I have gathered, NHL scouts wanted to see him get a little quicker, little stronger, and a little more determined. There were some concerns over his projectability without elite physical tools.

But he went to Sweden to play in the third division (Hockey Ettan) and performed really well. Watched some of his action over there. All the things that he needed to work on, he clearly has. Much better idea of the type of pro that he can become now, given some improvements to his pace of play, confidence with the puck, and engagement level at both ends. His strength is definitely his IQ. Really smart player who finds the soft spots in coverage and is equal parts goal scorer and playmaker. Showed great chemistry with Tyson Foerster last time the OHL played with Barrie, working to create space for Foerster to use that big shot. I think he can be a real versatile player. If the OHL had played this year, I think Cardwell would have been a Top 15 scorer. And next year, I would expect that to be the same.

Think Kevin Labanc here. That kind of high energy, intelligent, and supportive offensive player.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I didn't do my annual re-entry article this year for the OHL, but I thought that I would give you some more info on Cardwell.

Thought he had a pretty good shot to get drafted last year after finishing the season strongly with Barrie following a trade from Saginaw. But that was not the case. Ultimately, from what I have gathered, NHL scouts wanted to see him get a little quicker, little stronger, and a little more determined. There were some concerns over his projectability without elite physical tools.

But he went to Sweden to play in the third division (Hockey Ettan) and performed really well. Watched some of his action over there. All the things that he needed to work on, he clearly has. Much better idea of the type of pro that he can become now, given some improvements to his pace of play, confidence with the puck, and engagement level at both ends. His strength is definitely his IQ. Really smart player who finds the soft spots in coverage and is equal parts goal scorer and playmaker. Showed great chemistry with Tyson Foerster last time the OHL played with Barrie, working to create space for Foerster to use that big shot. I think he can be a real versatile player. If the OHL had played this year, I think Cardwell would have been a Top 15 scorer. And next year, I would expect that to be the same.

Think Kevin Labanc here. That kind of high energy, intelligent, and supportive offensive player.
I think that’s exactly who he compared himself too in his sharks interview. If he has that talent you take it every single day.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
From one of Scott Wheeler's sources on the Athletic on most underrated players heading into the draft: "Ethan Cardwell: 'No clue why he wasn’t drafted last year. He could have had 100 points this year. Very skilled and smart.'”

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

intelligent? I’m not sure id classify Labanc in the high hockey IQ category (for pros). Not saying he’s not smart though. He’s got a lot of tools and knows how to use them effectively at times, but he makes enough bone head plays that it’s tough to give him that status. My thoughts at least. I feel like high iq players elevate their line, Bancer doesn’t exactly do that enough for me. He’s a great side piece though when his head is in the game and he’s not in the box for a stupid penalty.

Either way, excited for Cardwell!

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
intelligent? I’m not sure id classify Labanc in the high hockey IQ category (for pros). Not saying he’s not smart though. He’s got a lot of tools and knows how to use them effectively at times, but he makes enough bone head plays that it’s tough to give him that status. My thoughts at least. I feel like high iq players elevate their line, Bancer doesn’t exactly do that enough for me. He’s a great side piece though when his head is in the game and he’s not in the box for a stupid penalty.

His rate of successful zone exits is abysmal. I think that calls into question his hockey IQ. So often he gets the puck from the D, takes more time than he has to make a decision, and his clearing attempt gets stuffed.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Was just about to reply with similar... intelligent and high energy aren't in the first 5 things I think of when I try to describe Labanc's game.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

sub_zero94

Jan 26, 2007
Haven't listened just yet, but I'm positive I will soon as I'm a fiend for podcasts, but it looks like Cardwell already had Brandon Coe on one of his podcasts a while back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad