Established NHL Stars at the World Championships

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I recall it used to be a thing that when NHL stars' teams failed to make the playoffs, or sometimes even when they were eliminated in round one, those stars would join the international World Championships in Europe.

Examples/stats:
1981: After the Habs fell to Minnesota, Guy Lafleur joined team Canada in Sweden. Guy scored only 1 point (a goal) in 7 games... which might partly explain why Canada failed to get a medal!

1982 -- After the Oilers were upset by L.A., Gretzky (after the 92-goal season) joined the Canadian team, which won Bronze, in Finland. Wayne put up 6 goals and 8 assists, for 14 points, in 10 games.

1982 / 1989 / 1991 / 1994 -- Jari Kurri played for Finland (in Finland, Sweden, Finland again, and Italy, respectively). Finland took the Silver in 1994. Kurri seems to have produced rather well at these tournaments, scoring 19 goals and 38 points in 32 games total.

1985 -- With the Pens still a doormat, Mario Lemieux joined Team Canada in Prague. They took Silver, with Mario scoring 4 goals and 6 assists, for 10 points, in 9 games.

1982 / 1986 / 1989 -- Dale Hawerchuk joined these three years, playing with Gretzky in Finland in '82, and then in Moscow (USSR) in '86, and Sweden in '89. Canada took Bronze and Silver the latter two years. In 28 total games, Hawerchuk scored 22 points (1989 was his best tournament, statistically).

1990 -- This somehow surprises me: Paul Coffey joined Team Canada in 1990 in Switzerland (after the Pens missed the playoffs), scoring 7 points in 10 games, though Canada failed to get a medal.

1994 -- Luc Robitaille journeyed to Northern Italy (after the Kings crapped out that season), winning the Gold with Canada, and scoring 4 goals and 4 assists in 8 games.

These are just some random examples -- lots of NHLers played at the World Championships, I guess.

Anyone remember these tournaments? I don't think I ever saw one on TV. Memories? Thoughts?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I stopped caring about the world championships when the Soviets disbanded.

I recall Yzerman and company having their butts kicked. '89? '90? I think so.

EDIT: both times.

Reactions: ehhedler

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Do we focus only to North American players? Because for Europe stars it is automatic decision.

Sidney Crosby in 2015. Gold. Tripple Crown Member. His only second World Championship.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Canada's 82 team was stacked - at least relative to our typical teams in the 21-team era.

Centers were Gretzky, Bobby Smith (coming off his 114-point season), Hawerchuk (coming off his rookie 103-point season), Bobby Clarke, and Sittler.

Notable wingers included Propp, Ciccarelli (off his career high 55 goal, 106 point season), Barber, Gartner, Vaive (off his career high 54-goal season), Ryan Walter (coming off his career high 38 goal, 87 point season), Mark Napier (coming off his career high 40 goal season) and Gainey

The d-men weren't as impressive as the forwards (Reinhart, Hartsburg, Maxwell, Van Boxmeer, Lowe, Green, Giles), but weren't bad.

Millen and Meloche in net.

I think it was the best team we had in the 80s. Certainly offensively.

I think it much easier to ice a good team at the Worlds now, with 15/31 of the pool missing the playoffs, and 23/31 of the pool being available before the first game.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Gilmour was on that team one year and looked like a small fish in a big pond against the Soviet Union.

Canada also had (outside of Gilmour and Yzerman) Kirk McLean in nets, Coffey, MacInnis, Macoun on D, and among the forwards Theo Fleury, Bellows, Tocchet, Recchi and John Cullen. Greg Adams of Vancouver fame scored 8 goals in 10 games.

The Soviets had Irbe, Fetisov, Konstantinov, Malakhov, Makarov, Fedorov, Bure, Bykov, Khomutov, Nemchinov, etc..

Khomutov led the Soviets that tourney with 11 goals and 16 points, but a bit surprising perhaps defenseman Mikhail Tatarinov finished 2nd on the team in scoring with 11 points in 10 games. Fedorov and Bure, still young, apparently weren't utilized in first line scoring roles yet.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I remember that in 1991 the Finnish fans had stereotypic chants targeting Sweden's and tournament's top scorer Mats Sundin in the spirit of Finland - Sweden rivalry. Those chants would not go well at his day and age, though.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Examples/stats:
1981: After the Habs fell to Minnesota, Guy Lafleur joined team Canada in Sweden. Guy scored only 1 point (a goal) in 7 games... which might partly explain why Canada failed to get a medal!
In his first game off the plane against the Dutch he got hit by the immortal Rick van Gog. Sounds like a concussion.
Van Gogh is a Canadian expatriate who had played Junior B hockey near Toronto and is known as 'Elbows' in the Dutch League. He hit Lafleur with what Canada manager John Ferguson called 'the best check I have seen in fifteen years.'
But a TV replay showed he brought up his elbow as he stepped into him.
Lafleur was treated for a cut on the bridge of his nose -- his eighth injury this season.
Lafleur, who had stepped off the plane just two and a half hours before the game started to bolster the team, did not reappear for the second period.
On his first shift in a World Ice Hockey...

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
In his first game off the plane against the Dutch he got hit by the immortal Rick van Gog. Sounds like a concussion.

On his first shift in a World Ice Hockey...

The irony here is that Lafleur didn't want to wear a helmet, but didn't have a choice, as helmets were mandatory, this according to IIHF rules. He was basically unconscious before he hit the ice, head first.
The helmet surely saved him from a severe concussion.

safe_image.php

Rick van Gog hit on Guy Lafleur

STOCKHOLM (Canadian Press) Team Canada had no trouble subduing the Netherlands 8-1 in world hockey championship action Monday, but team officials spent a few anxious moments wondering whether right winger Guy Lafleur's first shift might have been his last. The game was only 41 seconds old when Dutch defenceman Rick Van Gog caught the Montreal Canadiens forward with his head down at centre ice. Lafleur lay on the ice for several minutes after going down in a heap and striking his head on the ice.

Replays of the collision showed Van Gog, who was born in Toronto and played junior hockey, in Aurora and Sault Ste. Marie, had his elbow up but appeared to catch Lafleur with his upper arm flush in the face. Team physician Derek MacKasey said Lafleur, who arrived here just three hours prior to the game after a marathon series of flights which began Saturday night in Edmonton, took two stitches to the nose. X-rays revealed no fractures.

"I've never been hit that hard," Lafleur said, adding he believed he lost consciousness for a few seconds. "I don't remember much, maybe the first 20 seconds (of the game) but nothing after that. "I was feeling weak and they took me to the hospital for x-rays just to be sure. The back of my head was hurting." Lafleur is expected to be back in the lineup Wednesday for a game against the Soviet Union.

Asked if he was - having second thoughts about accepting an invitation to play in the world tournament after the Canadiens were eliminated Saturday by Edmonton Oilers, was definite with his answer. "No!" He said.
"I came here with a lot of confidence and a positive attitude. "I came here to help the team win. I'm pleased that I was asked to come, even with what happened in the first game."

Even though Lafleur played the rest of the tournament, he never fully recovered and was only a shadow of himself. Canada actually had a pretty decent team, but never got going.

Goaltending was weak, defense was so-so, but they had good offensive firepower.
The 1982 Canadian team mentioned earlier was stronger for sure.
I also liked the 1983, 1985, 1989 and 1990 teams.

Canada in 1981

Game 1 (Finland 4-3)

Goalie

John Garrett

Defensive pairings

Barry Long - Rob Ramage
Rick Green - Willie Huber
Norm Barnes - Dave Babych

Line combinations

Morris Lukowich - Steve Tambellini - Lanny McDonald
Pat Boutette - Mike Rogers – Lucien Deblois
Dennis Maruk - Ryan Walter - Mike Gartner
John Ogrodnick - Dale McCourt - Mike Foligno

Game 2 (The Netherlands 8-1)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Larry Robinson - Rob Ramage

Line combinations

Lucien Deblois - Pat Boutette - Guy Lafleur

Game 3 (Soviet Union 2-8)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Norm Barnes – Barry Long

Line combinations

John Ogrodnick - Dale McCourt – Guy Lafleur
Lucien Deblois - Pat Boutette – Mike Rogers

Game 4 (Czechoslovakia 4-7)

Goalie

John Garrett & Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Rick Green – Dave Babych
Norm Barnes – Barry Long

Line combinations

Lucien Deblois - Mike Rogers – Guy Lafleur
John Ogrodnick – Morris Lukowich - Mike Foligno
Pat Boutette - Steve Tambellini - Lanny McDonald

Game 5 (Sweden 1-3)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Dave Babych – Barry Long
Norm Barnes - Rob Ramage
Rick Green – Willie Huber

Line combinations

John Ogrodnick – Dale McCourt - Mike Foligno
Lucien Deblois – Lanny McDonald – Guy Lafleur
Ryan Walter - Dennis Maruk - Mike Gartner

Game 7 (Czechoslovakia 2-4)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Dave Babych – Barry Long

Line combinations

John Ogrodnick – Guy Lafleur - Mike Foligno
Lucien Deblois – Mike Rogers – Morris Lukowich

Game 8 (Sweden 3-4)

Goalie

Phil Myre & John Garrett

Defensive pairings

Dave Babych – Barry Long
Norm Barnes – Willie Huber

Line combinations

Lucien Deblois – Mike Rogers – Guy Lafleur
John Ogrodnick – Ryan Walter - Mike Foligno
Morris Lukowich - Dennis Maruk - Mike Gartner

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Canada's 1982 WHC team is the most memorable for me. Firstly, the championship was held in Finland. There was some hype about the "Golden Boy" and "Million Dollar Man" Gretzky, and sometimes a little harsh criticism from Finnish journalists towards his performances.
On paper, it was arguably their best ever world championship team , at least for a long time. On ice, they started out badly (even a 3-3 tie vs the hockey might Italy! But Jim Corsi played a terrific game), but in the end, would have deserved a Silver medal (e.g. wins over Czechoslovakia and Sweden, good games vs USSR), but there was that scandalous tie between the Soviets and CSSR, so they had to settle for Bronze.

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
The irony here is that Lafleur didn't want to wear a helmet, but didn't have a choice, as helmets were mandatory, this according to IIHF rules. He was basically unconscious before he hit the ice, head first.
The helmet surely saved him from a severe concussion.

safe_image.php

Rick van Gog hit on Guy Lafleur

STOCKHOLM (Canadian Press) Team Canada had no trouble subduing the Netherlands 8-1 in world hockey championship action Monday, but team officials spent a few anxious moments wondering whether right winger Guy Lafleur's first shift might have been his last. The game was only 41 seconds old when Dutch defenceman Rick Van Gog caught the Montreal Canadiens forward with his head down at centre ice. Lafleur lay on the ice for several minutes after going down in a heap and striking his head on the ice.

Replays of the collision showed Van Gog, who was born in Toronto and played junior hockey, in Aurora and Sault Ste. Marie, had his elbow up but appeared to catch Lafleur with his upper arm flush in the face. Team physician Derek MacKasey said Lafleur, who arrived here just three hours prior to the game after a marathon series of flights which began Saturday night in Edmonton, took two stitches to the nose. X-rays revealed no fractures.

"I've never been hit that hard," Lafleur said, adding he believed he lost consciousness for a few seconds. "I don't remember much, maybe the first 20 seconds (of the game) but nothing after that. "I was feeling weak and they took me to the hospital for x-rays just to be sure. The back of my head was hurting." Lafleur is expected to be back in the lineup Wednesday for a game against the Soviet Union.

Asked if he was - having second thoughts about accepting an invitation to play in the world tournament after the Canadiens were eliminated Saturday by Edmonton Oilers, was definite with his answer. "No!" He said.
"I came here with a lot of confidence and a positive attitude. "I came here to help the team win. I'm pleased that I was asked to come, even with what happened in the first game."

Even though Lafleur played the rest of the tournament, he never fully recovered and was only a shadow of himself. Canada actually had a pretty decent team, but never got going.

Goaltending was weak, defense was so-so, but they had good offensive firepower.
The 1982 Canadian team mentioned earlier was stronger for sure.
I also liked the 1983, 1985, 1989 and 1990 teams.

Canada in 1981

Game 1 (Finland 4-3)

Goalie

John Garrett

Defensive pairings

Barry Long - Rob Ramage

Line combinations

Pat Boutette - Mike Rogers – Lucien Deblois

Game 2 (The Netherlands 8-1)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Line combinations

Lucien Deblois - Pat Boutette - Guy Lafleur

Game 3 (Soviet Union 2-8)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Norm Barnes – Barry Long

Line combinations

John Ogrodnick - Dale McCourt – Guy Lafleur
Lucien Deblois - Pat Boutette – Mike Rogers

Game 4 (Czechoslovakia 4-7)

Goalie

John Garrett & Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Rick Green – Dave Babych
Norm Barnes – Barry Long

Line combinations

Lucien Deblois - Mike Rogers – Guy Lafleur
John Ogrodnick – Morris Lukowich - Mike Foligno

Game 5 (Sweden 1-3)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Dave Babych – Barry Long
Norm Barnes - Rob Ramage

Line combinations

John Ogrodnick – Dale McCourt - Mike Foligno
Lucien Deblois – Lanny McDonald – Guy Lafleur

Game 7 (Czechoslovakia 2-4)

Goalie

Phil Myre

Defensive pairings

Dave Babych – Barry Long

Line combinations

John Ogrodnick – Guy Lafleur - Mike Foligno
Lucien Deblois – Mike Rogers – Morris Lukowich

Game 8 (Sweden 3-4)

Goalie

Phil Myre & John Garrett

Defensive pairings

Dave Babych – Barry Long
Norm Barnes – Willie Huber

Line combinations

Lucien Deblois – Mike Rogers – Guy Lafleur
John Ogrodnick – Ryan Walter - Mike Foligno
Morris Lukowich - Dennis Maruk - Mike Gartner
Larry Robinson missed a couple of games due to injury that year. He was clowning around, put a couple of Q-tips in his years, said "look at me I'm a Martian" and punctured his eardrum.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Canada's 1982 WHC team is the most memorable for me. Firstly, the championship was held in Finland. There was some hype about the "Golden Boy" and "Million Dollar Man" Gretzky, and sometimes a little harsh criticism from Finnish journalists towards his performances.
On paper, it was arguably their best ever world championship team , at least for a long time. On ice, they started out badly (even a 3-3 tie vs the hockey might Italy! But Jim Corsi played a terrific game), but in the end, would have deserved a Silver medal (e.g. wins over Czechoslovakia and Sweden, good games vs USSR), but there was that scandalous tie between the Soviets and CSSR, so they had to settle for Bronze.
In the game against Finland, they led 6-0 before the game was 10 minutes old.

Finland – Canada 2-9 (0-6, 1-0, 1-3)

0-1 (02:09) Dino Ciccarelli 1 (Barber)
0-2 (03:19) Dale Hawerchuk 1
0-3 (05:18) William Barber 1 (Ciccarelli/Green)
0-4 (06:18) Dale Hawerchuk 2 (Walter)
0-5 (08:59) Darryl Sittler 1 (Gretzky)
0-6 (09:46) John Van Boxmeer 1
1-6 (37:44) Tapio Levo 1 (Forss) PP1
1-7 (41:09) Brian Propp 1 (Vaive/Smith)
2-7 (44:01) Arto Javanainen 1 (Makkonen/Levo)
2-8 (47:22) Darryl Sittler 2 (Reinhart/Walter)
2-9 (47:40) Robert Smith 1

Penalty minutes: 4 (2x2) – 4 (2x2)
Shots on goal (saved): 24-22 (8-8, 10-7, 6-7)
Referees: Olsson (SWE) – Wiking (SWE) & Schell (HUN)
Attendance: 8,247 (Helsinki)

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
96 Edit: World Cup of Hockey. Hull was the leading scorer and Richter was the MVP.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
96. Hull was the leading scorer and Richter was the MVP.

I looked it up and apparently Yanic Perreault of all people led the 96 World Championships in scoring.

I also noticed Boo Ahl played in goal for Sweden this tournament. I have no recollection of him ever being so good he represented Sweden at the WC, but apparently he did.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I looked it up and apparently Yanic Perreault of all people led the 96 World Championships in scoring. I also noticed Boo Ahl played in goal for Sweden this tournament. I have no recollection of him ever being so good he represented Sweden at the WC, but apparently he did.
Scoring leader(s) Brett Hull (11 pts)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Top scorers[edit]

RkPlayerGPGAPtsPIM
1 Brett Hull774114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1996 World Cup of Hockey - Wikipedia

My bad.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I looked it up and apparently Yanic Perreault of all people led the 96 World Championships in scoring.

I also noticed Boo Ahl played in goal for Sweden this tournament. I have no recollection of him ever being so good he represented Sweden at the WC, but apparently he did.
He won the swedish championship in 1995 on that last seed HV71 team, after which Thomas Östlund of all people got the nod at the WHC. Remember there were no NHL'ers there this lockout year though.
I guess in 96 Östlunds star had to have fallen which gave Ahl his chance under the spotlights.

We should not laugh too hard though, both of these guys was pretty fair at this exact time in history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->