Espo on Tretiak

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Canada Cup 1981.

The key word is a team. Only game he didn't play USSR lost 3-7.

Yep, he was the best in 1981 and was ahead of Dryden in 1972. He was only 19 in 1972.

I like how you neglect to show the other tourny's where he was owned.
And again, he's still beating teams that were thrown together in a matter of weeks. Hockey is more about team play than any other sport. Gretzky and co. didn't have the luxery of training together for 11.5 months a year. That makes a HUGE difference.
I guarentee you if the Oilers were allowed to play the Soviets in 1981 they would have destroyed them. Very similar to how they got dominated by Philly when they toured around.

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
I guarentee you if the Oilers were allowed to play the Soviets in 1981 they would have destroyed them. Very similar to how they got dominated by Philly when they toured around.

They were allowed to do so against Red Army (CSKA) in 1986.
They lost 6:3.

It's a real fun to see biased fans :)

When Canada win it's the series of the century.
When Canada lost it's because they didn't play together before. If they played together before it's because they didn't take a game seriously.

For Kaiser. Here is a real unbiased look from Canada on the subject who was better:
http://www.geocities.com/canadavsrussia/stats.html

So, there are a lot of adequate people around.

Last edited:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Damn right we are,but we don't let that stop us.
So true. Im just saying it cause the play in Russia was a lot different that in NA and the styke if growing up too. If you met Dzurilla on the street you sure wouldnt think he is a sportsman.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Ok. Last to reply in this thread mostly to Esposito after this I'm done. To asnwer the question : "Does Tretiak belong to HHoF ?" you have to answer on another questions "What does separate great goalie from very good and good goalies ? What makes him special ?" I have answer for my self - consistent high perfomance at every level and ability to recover after big losses. When I say "constitent" I don't think about 40 or 50 games a season, I mean years and years and years of high performance at every situation at every level. Did Tretiak apply for this definition ? Yes, he was a standard of conistent high performance. Big or small rinks, NHL or European style of play, group stage or playoffs, Italy or Canada... every situation and every level he was consistent and allowed his team to win.
Did he has ability to recover ? Yes. Like Roy recovered after his Montreal days, like Brodeur recovers every time from missing playoffs or short run for the cup. He did the same after 1980. He recovered after Viena and Katovice.
You can say he was good because team in front of him was good. It's true but He was part of the team. One poster said here, Soviets wanted to be best at every tournament and this is true and now think. How good was 19 years old goalie if he was selected to represent his country at games against ideologic enemy? There is a joke in Russia : "Tretyak by his play destroyed a generation of young soviet goalies who weren't able to play in CSKA and national team because of him" or something like this. Every joke has part of true.
You can say he wasn't tested by NHL-calibre competition. I don't get it. Just remember World Championsips or Olympics aren't 82 games tournaments including minimum 16 games of playoffs. It's a short tournament with 6-10 games. You loose one - you are in trouble, you loose second (or first in playoffs) - good bye. Playoffs weren't popular that days and there weren't meaningless games.
In NHL playoffs you can comeback after bad performance in one game, or in 2 games and still win the series. At WC or Olympics you can not. One loss and you are going home. And just realize years and years of play without any chance to play a bad game. Yes, he played bad games but price of his bad games was absolutely another. Do you honestly think USSR couldn't beat college kids in 4 games series ? Who cares, they didn't have a chance and it's a part of history already.
Yes, overall level of players isn't comparable at WC and NHL but at WC you shouldn't play 82 games or 70 like that days. 1,2,6 games. Every goalie can pull a Gerber like show, every Streit can be Scott Niedermayer in few games, every Peltonen can play a lot better than Joe Sakic in few games at Olympics and they do it. Heck, Jan Bulis scored 4 in one game :sarcasm: And every NHL star can play like Bertuzzi or McCabe in few games. Every player can play his best game in his career and steal the victory for his team like the same Gerber. Tretiak did the same every tournament, he didn't do it one time or at one tournament only, he did 15 years in a row - tried to play his best game against NHL stars against sweden players against players from Czechoslovakia against players from Spartak and from Dynamo and did it but when he retired he said : "I can't play this anymore. It's not because I'm old or not good enough. It's because of my mentality - I played 15 years without a single opportunity to make a mistake. I'm tired".

Ogopogo*

Ok. Last to reply in this thread mostly to Esposito after this I'm done. To asnwer the question : "Does Tretiak belong to HHoF ?" you have to answer on another questions "What does separate great goalie from very good and good goalies ? What makes him special ?" I have answer for my self - consistent high perfomance at every level and ability to recover after big losses. When I say "constitent" I don't think about 40 or 50 games a season, I mean years and years and years of high performance at every situation at every level. Did Tretiak apply for this definition ? Yes, he was a standard of conistent high performance. Big or small rinks, NHL or European style of play, group stage or playoffs, Italy or Canada... every situation and every level he was consistent and allowed his team to win.
Did he has ability to recover ? Yes. Like Roy recover after his Montreal days, like Brodeur recovers every time from missing playoffs or short run for the cup. He did the same after 1980. He recovered after Viena and Katovice.
You can say he was good because team in front of him was good. It's true but He was part of the team. One poster said here, Soviets wanted to be best at every tournament and this is true and now think. How good was 19 years old goalie if he was selected to represent his country at games against ideologic enemy? There is a joke in Russia : "Tretyak by his play destroyed a generation of young soviet goalies who weren't able to play in CSKA and national team because of him" or something like this. Every joke has part of true.
You can say he wasn't tested by NHL-calibre competition. I don't get it. Just remember World Championsips or Olympics aren't 82 games tournaments including minimum 16 games of playoffs. It's a short tournament with 6-10 games. You loose one - you are in trouble, you loose second (or first in playoffs) - good bye. Playoffs weren't popular that days and there weren't meaningless games.
In NHL playoffs you can comeback after bad performance in one game, or in 2 games and still win the series. At WC or Olympics you can not. One loss and you are going home. And just realize years and years of play without any chance to play a bad game. Yes, he played bad games but price of his bad games was absolutely another. Do you honestly think USSR couldn't beat college kids in 4 games series ? Who cares, they didn't have a chance and it's a part of history already.
Yes, overall level of players isn't comparable at WC and NHL but at WC you shouldn't play 82 games or 70 like that days. 1,2,6 games. Every goalie can pull a Gerber like show, every Streit can be Scott Niedermayer in few games, every Peltonen can play a lot better than Joe Sakic in few games at Olympics and they do it. Heck, Jan Bulis scored 4 in one game :sarcasm: And every NHL star can play like Bertuzzi or McCabe in few games. Every player can play his best game in his career and steal the victory for his team like the same Gerber. Tretiak did the same every tournament, tried to play his best game against NHL stars against sweden players against players from Czechoslovakia against players from Spartak and from Dynamo and did it but when he retired he said : "I can't play this anymore. It's not because I'm old or not good enough. It's because of my mentality - I played 15 years without a single opportunity to make a mistake. I'm tired".

That was a very good post.

I think we will always disagree about Tretiak's exact place in the goaltender hierarchy but, I think we can all agree that Tretiak was very good.

Now lets argue about Gretzky vs Makarov. :sarcasm:

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
Now lets argue about Gretzky vs Makarov. :sarcasm:

IMO:

Gretzky was better individually;
the Green Unit (Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov, Kasatonov) was the best unit ever.

Anyway, this is offtopic :)

Ogopogo*

IMO:

Gretzky was better individually;
the Green Unit (Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov, Kasatonov) was the best unit ever.

Anyway, this is offtopic :)

It would have been nice to see a meaningful 5 on 5 game between the Green Unit with Tretiak against the Oilers top 5 - Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey and Lowe with Grant Fuhr.

My money would be on the Oil but it sure would be amazing to watch.

Edit: I guess the 1987 Canada Cup final featured almost all of those players, didn't it? That was some pretty good hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
One czech goalie once said that both swedes and czechs had better goalies than Tretjak ever was. He said that it was the team that made him look so good.
Exactly, Czechoslovak players and fans were considering Tretiak the weakest link
of the Soviet teams during the 70´s. He is definitely overrated in North America.
That said, I've never heard that Martinec quote. But it's a general consensus among
former Czechoslovak internationals that he wasn't as good as the results of his team
would suggest. And they used to play against him really often.

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
That said, I've never heard that Martinec quote.

I read it in some newspaper but not in Internet. It was two maybe three years ago (don't remember, unfortunately). He said a lot of other interesting and controversial things, for example, about Nedomansky defection, about NHL etc ...

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
It would have been nice to see a meaningful 5 on 5 game between the Green Unit with Tretiak against the Oilers top 5 - Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey and Lowe with Grant Fuhr.

My money would be on the Oil but it sure would be amazing to watch.

Edit: I guess the 1987 Canada Cup final featured almost all of those players, didn't it? That was some pretty good hockey.
and I'll throw my Robinson-Savard-Lafleur-Lemaire-Shutt hat into the ring.

Ogopogo*

NHL was a joke 1972-1979.

You should quote me in context.

I said that the Russian league was a joke because all of the best players were sent to CSKA. They had an all star team playing against whatever was left over. That, my friend, is a joke of a league.

It would be like allowing the Stanley Cup winner to have the first 3 draft picks the summer after they win the cup. Would they ever lose?

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
You should quote me in context.

I said that the Russian league was a joke because all of the best players were sent to CSKA. They had an all star team playing against whatever was left over. That, my friend, is a joke of a league.

It would be like allowing the Stanley Cup winner to have the first 3 draft picks the summer after they win the cup. Would they ever lose?

I hate Soviet Union and their league was a joke, but it was better (higher quality) league than NHL 1972-1979.

By the way not all the best players played in CSKA and they didn't win every season.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Anyone else hear Espo's mini-rant on Tretriak on xm today?

They were talking about the Hall of Fame and what criteria should be considered, and Espo railed against Tretiak for a few minutes.

Paraphrasing:

"Why is Tretiak in the Hall? What did he ever do"
Asked if he thought Tretiak was a good goalie: "No. I'd play him 80 times a year if I could."

And he said a few more things I can't remember completely. Pretty strong opinions of a guy who's viewed as one of the best ever by many people.

Yo, Espo! There's a reason why its called the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the NHL Hall of Fame.

Ogopogo*

I hate Soviet Union and their league was a joke, but it was better (higher quality) league than NHL 1972-1979.

By the way not all the best players played in CSKA and they didn't win every season.

Burr under the saddle?

Why was the NHL a joke? Not enough Fins?

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
In a recent interview Fox (Martinec) said that Holecek was a very good goalie, probably, at Dryden level; but well behind Tretiak whom Martinec considers the best goalie of his time and one of five best goalies ever.

BTW, Martinec is really underrated. IMO, he should be in the Hall as well.

The entire Czechslovakian team of the 70's is underrated. Holocek and Martinec should both be in the Hall. Probably Nedomansky, Dzurilla Holik and Suchy as well.

Ogopogo*

WHA + almost all europeans who were NHL caliber players didn't play in the NHL.

Soviet league had less teams than in the NHL.

The question is, how many of those Europeans were actually NHL caliber? 5%? 10%?

Most of the best players in the world were still in the NHL at the time. Since 1927 no league on the planet has ever had more talent.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
The question is, how many of those Europeans were actually NHL caliber? 5%? 10%?

Most of the best players in the world were still in the NHL at the time. Since 1927 no league on the planet has ever had more talent.

15-20%

1972-1979 NHL is Generally considered a joke in europe and it's the truth.

You are NHL Analyst. Study hockey not just NHL, then you see it.

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
15-20%

In the interview, I mentioned, Martinec also named the best unit+goalie of the 70-ties:

Tretiak
Pospisil-Tsygankov
Kharlamov-Maltsev-Martinec

Obviously, he doesn't rate high NHL of the 70-ties either.

Ogopogo*

15-20%

If you consider that there were 24 - 30 teams if you count both NHL and WHA, that is about where we are now. The best players, for the most part, stayed in the NHL. The WHA was like the AHL with a few (15%) NHLers thrown in.

Europeans make up about 25% of the NHL right now, If I recall correctly. In the 70s, I think European hockey was not as developed as it is today and I suspect, closer to 10 or 15% of the NHL would have been Europeans.

So, if you factor in the number of NHL teams in the 70s (12 - 17) and the impact the Europeans and WHA players had, I think the NHL was much stronger than you think. Certainly the league didn't have ALL the NHL-caliber players in the world but, it had more of the world's best players than any other league.

Lafleur, P. Esposito, Orr, Clarke, Dryden, T. Esposito, Parent, Vachon, Dionne, Trottier, Bossy, Park, Potvin, Robinson and many others played during the 70s. The rest of the world combined cannot boast such a list of superstars as the NHL had during the decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad