News Article: ESPN's State of the Rebuild: Buffalo Sabres

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Pronman isn't even saying the prospect pool is awful. He's saying that it's somewhere between middle of the pact to a little below that. Really, what else is a pool with a handful of decent depth guys and no blue chippers supposed to be? Where does this prospect group excel?

The state of the prospect pool isn't a disaster - this isn't an aging mediocre team desperately in need of improvement while its clock is still ticking - but it's nothing to write home about either.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Pronman isn't even saying the prospect pool is awful. He's saying that it's somewhere between middle of the pact to a little below that. Really, what else is a pool with a handful of decent depth guys and no blue chippers supposed to be? Where does this prospect group excel?

The state of the prospect pool isn't a disaster - this isn't an aging mediocre team desperately in need of improvement while its clock is still ticking - but it's nothing to write home about either.

semantics, if your pool cant check the boxes to get you into the top half of the league then its poop, which is different from saying its a problem, its poop because we just graduated 2 of the top 20 prospects league-wide from it

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
semantics, if your pool cant check the boxes to get you into the top half of the league then its poop, which is different from saying its a problem, its poop because we just graduated 2 of the top 20 prospects league-wide from it

It's that and the number of picks and prospects that Murray has dealt away over the past 18 months to help speed things along.

That's why the next two drafts are really important. Now is time to refill the pipeline and get the future kids on ELCs to fill holes that will come up when contracts expire and the Sabres lose a couple guys in the expansion draft.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
The system needs a jump, we lost some good young pieces in two major trades which helped turn the corner in our upper 6 forwards. It happens. I think we're looking at this season as the start of the recoup. I don't really see a huge LHD move, it seems Fowler costs too much and we don't need a RHD.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
WEAKNESSES

While the current Sabres roster has a very impressive core of young players, the team's farm system has undergone a complete 180 from where it was a year ago. The graduation of Eichel and Reinhart, as well as the movement of several top prospects took one of the league's deepest and most impressive farm systems and made it mediocre -- if not below average.

That's not a problem if you're winning, but the Sabres aren't yet, so it's at least somewhat concerning that there aren't a lot of high-end prospects left in the system.

I just flatly disagree with this.

for the sake of argument Bogosian=Myers.

they traded Kasdorf + Kane (24 at start of 15/16) for Stafford, Armia,#25, and Lemieux
they traded ROR (24 at start of 15/16)+ 3rd for Grigs, Zads, Compher+ #31
they trade Lehner (24 at the start of 15/16)+ Legwand for #21

2012 draft and under they still have:

2012: Girgensons, McCabe, Ullmark
2013: ristolainen, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Carrier, Petersen, Possler, Florentino, Malone
2014: reinhart, Cornel, Karabacek, Johanssen, Martin, Willman, Brown, Olofsson
2015:Eichel, Guhle, Borgen , Stephens, Estephan, Chukarov
2016 draft: 1st, 2nd, 4 3rd, 4th, 2 5th, 6th, 2 7th

39 players

free agent prospect signings : DuPuy, Nelson

3 acquired + Foligno, Pysyk, Larsson, Deslauriers, and Ctenacci drafter 2009-2011.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I just flatly disagree with this.

for the sake of argument Bogosian=Myers.

they traded Kasdorf + Kane (24 at start of 15/16) for Stafford, Armia,#25, and Lemieux
they traded ROR (24 at start of 15/16)+ 3rd for Grigs, Zads, Compher+ #31
they trade Lehner (24 at the start of 15/16)+ Legwand for #21

2012 draft and under they still have:

2012: Girgensons, McCabe, Ullmark
2013: ristolainen, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Carrier, Petersen, Possler, Florentino, Malone
2014: reinhart, Cornel, Karabacek, Johanssen, Martin, Willman, Brown, Olofsson
2015:Eichel, Guhle, Borgen , Stephens, Estephan, Chukarov
2016 draft: 1st, 2nd, 4 3rd, 4th, 2 5th, 6th, 2 7th

39 players

free agent prospect signings : DuPuy, Nelson

3 acquired + Foligno, Pysyk, Larsson, Deslauriers, and Ctenacci drafter 2009-2011.

What does all this have anything to do with the fact that our prospect pool is, in fact, depleted of high-end talent?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, it's just an arbitrary distinction that makes Buffalo look worse than it is from a talent/assets under a certain age perspective, because it excludes 8OA and Eichel/Reinhart/Risto. Especially when Chych/Joulevi/whoever would be ranked #1/2 if this analysis was done after the draft, even if we didn't make any of those trades last year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm pretty sure the majority on the forums didn't like the Lehner trade. I wanted Travis Konecny and made it clear all year leading up to the draft. He put up 112 pts in 60 games this year. I think he becomes a top 6 guy on the Flyers.

Even if that pick wasn't traded we weren't necessarily getting Konecny. Murray talked about wanting to use to get a goalie. So we may have drafted one instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad