ESPN writer projects Kessel to go 7th

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
Attica said:
Los Angeles - Chris Stewart (a big forward to play with their group of solid, smaller forwards.)

No way the Kings go after this guy. Not with Dustin Brown and Brian Boyle as possible grinders. I predict the Kings trading down if this happens draft orderwise.

jonowan

Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver
Bucci

I'm in defense of Bucci. Hes the best hockey writer out there imo, and his column is always interesting and gives a spin on whats currently out there on the big sporting network. I honestly feel that OLN needs to hire this guy to do some of the commentary to make things interesting. Go look at tsn.ca, foxsports, cbssports, cnnsi, all the columns on those sites are crap and usually are stating the obvious. As for bucci not watching college hockey, I disagree. Go read his frozen four article. Besides, who else predicted Crosby to get his point total this season? :P

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Le Golie said:
Pens fans are so funny. They threaten riots if they get Toews, who is actually a perfect player for their team. Toews is really, really underrated by all those people who read the word 'safe' and think he's David Legwand. He's not. He'll score a ton, win games for your team and carry people deep into the playoffs. He's going to be a tremendous pro. I'd be doing cartwheels if my team ended up with him.
I think you're right. Some people who have never seen him play may have taken "safe pick" status to mean he will be a good 3rd liner in the future and he will at least be a John Madden type player. No. He would be such a good pick because while he is "safe", he is also very, very good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see his HF rating once he is drafted be anywhere from 8.0-9.0 A. He will almost certainly be a great player in the NHL I think.

And even if his offensive skills don't pan out (I am very sure they will though), he will still be an elite third line center, hence the term "safe."

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
To those who have a question about Toews playing center and wing...

He played both this season. He started out the year on wing before moving to center around mid-season and has been there ever since. He centered the line with Drew Stafford and Ryan Duncan.

And for those of you that haven't been paying much attention to UND hockey this season, that line was just ripping things up down the stretch and in post-season play (although Stafford missed a few games in there due to injury), particularly in the NCAA Tournament West Regional.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Kessel centered another freshman and a sophmore who didn't crack the lineup his freshman year.

Ultimately, Kessel's line became the team's second best line (primarily because of him) and was a huge part of what made the Gophers unstoppable for 3 months...until the top Potulny/Irmen lines scoring dried up in the last games of the season.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Rabid Husky said:
honestly, then start preparing to be surprised.
I got to see both of them play several times this year and most games, Kessel did not impress me all that much.
He had a hard time creating anything on his own without using anything except his speed which will not work all the time in the pros, Toews meanwhile was able to create scoring oppotunities using his stickhandling and smarts.
That to me is what will make Toews a better pro...he's already learned that he can't just rely on talent to score and to win...Kessel hasn't done that yet, he still thinks he has so much talent, he doesn't have to adapt his game to score...he'll learn quickly that in the NHL, you'd better be able to change how you play from time to time in order to be successful

And Toews outscored Kessel by 4 goals not 3 and he had only 12 less points :)
22-18=4 51-39=12

Going by hockeydb, Toews only had 38 points in 41 games. The extra goal i am sure was in the frozen four. And not updated yet. Giving Toews 39 points in 42 games. Compared to Kessel's 51 in 39 games. And in conference or common opponets Kessel still had him by 11 points in 28 games played.

I am guessing you must have caught most of the early gopher games. Kessel changed alot. When he was not using his speed he was using a special abilty to find open players and set them up in prime scoring spots. Many of which were not converted or not even seen until it was too late. If you do not think so, watch any PP and see all the tape to tape cross passes when he is not using any speed what so ever.

xalcyx

#murderskate
Mar 8, 2006
Florida
havent had a chance to view this thread, but as for the bruins comments in the article, I'm 90% certain Bucc was taking the piss. Actually, to a point, I think a good chunk of that draft was tongue in cheek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->