ESPN writer projects Kessel to go 7th

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
I can definitely see Kessel falling to 5th, it's a fairly weak draft, and anyone could go off the board. I mean Meuller, to me, looks like an absolute steal to grab at the 6th spot, and I'd put Frolik and Backstrom ahead of him, so it's really up in the air

Staal could very easily be the best forward of the bunch, but he's high risk/high reward. Touted as the best of the Staal brothers, he could outdo his brother eric, or he could be another brett lindros, who the hell knows.

I know, that if I'm at the 3rd pick, I think long and hard about taking Staal over Kessel. You know what you're getting with Kessel, Staal is still in early development.

I see it looking like:

St.Louis - Erik Johnson (to good to pass up, the clear #1 this draft, St.Louis would be stupid to pass on him

Pittsburgh - Jonathan Toews (Winger for a future Crosby - Malkin - Toews line.)

Chicago Blackhawks - Jordan Staal (Chicago will give him time to develop, they've got a nice group of prospects coming up, and he should be one of the better forwards)

Washington Capitals - Phil Kessel (Washington will choose Kessel and will convert either him or Semin to the wing, Ovechkin - Semin - Kessel sounds pretty good.

Boston Bruins - Michel Frolik (Boston is deep at center, and could really use a talented scoring winger, Frolik is that winger, he should be a fixure beside Boyes or Bergeron for a while)

Columbus - Nicklas Backstrom (Columbus isn't so deep at center, and they need s speedy playmaker to feed zherdev and Nash)

NY Islanders - Bobby Sanguinetti (The Islanders will be happy to get the 2nd best d-man in the draft with the 7th pick. I islanders aren't deep in defensive prospects, and Sanguinetti is a good choice at 7th)

Pheonix - Derek Brassard (BPA pick, Coyotes get an excellent centerman)

Minnesota - Jonathon Bernier (Might be a somewhat off the board pick, but minnesota looks good up front, and has picking a d-man wouldn't be the smartest at 9th. I say Minnesota picks Bernier, good tender, best available.)

Florida - Nigel Williams (Florida isn't so deep on defense, other than jay-bo. A decent pick, if florida picks by position.

Los Angeles - Chris Stewart (a big forward to play with their group of solid, smaller forwards.)

Atlanta - I see Atlanta trading down to grab Ty Wishart later on in the draft, they MUST concentrate on getting d-men.

Toronto - James Sheppard (Toronto grabs a very solid center prospect with speed, grit and playmaking ability. Toronto needs prospect in every area, but is expecially shallow on forwards)

Vancouver - Peter Mueller (With so many Forward to choose from, it's a hard choice between Little, Okposo, Mueller, Emmerton, Tlusty. All would be solid picks. I say vancouver goes after a speedy, goal scoring forward. It's really a toss up between Meuller and Okposo for the BPA, and I'm not even sure myself. I would have to go with Mueller, but Little is an excellent prospect as well.)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
A) Mel Kiper, Jr. did not write any part of this article. The picture of him is a (weak) joke in reference to the fact that he is big on the NFL draft.
B) ESPN did not write this article. ESPN is in fact incapable of writing article, as it does not have the ability of cognitive thought. It also lacks opposable thumbs.

Fact is, John Buccigross wrote this piece. Further, that is not a mock draft at the bottom. When he says things like, "I would select Jordan Staal with the No. 1 pick" and "I like Peter Mueller and think he fits in with the Capitals' developing style of play," such a fact should be obvious. He's merely stating his opinion of what teams should do, based on his opinions of players. I actually applaud Buccigross for going beyond simply echoing the rankings of other organizations and scouts, and actually making some bold statements. Say what you will about how ESPN treats hockey, but John Buccigross knows his stuff.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Attica said:

Can Toews play wing? He's usually listed at center and he looks more suited for the center position which to me is why he makes no sense for Pittsburgh.

I know BPA is the rule of thumb, but when you have 1-2 punch in Crosby-Malkin, I really don't see the need for another top flight center.

If anything that's why Kessel makes perfect sense for the Pens. Kessel on either Crosby or Malkin's wing would be an amazing tandem. Gifted playmakers with a speedy goalscorer, that could be a great tandem for the next decade.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Quiet Robert said:
Can Toews play wing? He's usually listed at center and he looks more suited for the center position which to me is why he makes no sense for Pittsburgh.

I know BPA is the rule of thumb, but when you have 1-2 punch in Crosby-Malkin, I really don't see the need for another top flight center.

If anything that's why Kessel makes perfect sense for the Pens. Kessel on either Crosby or Malkin's wing would be an amazing tandem. Gifted playmakers with a speedy goalscorer, that could be a great tandem for the next decade.

I think any decent centre can make the transition to wing. Wingers, however, can't always become centres.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Kickassguy said:
And he's right, given what some players just before or at the deadline went for this year.

A trade deadline move is different from a off-season trade move. You can pick up more at the trade deadline if you are selling because the other team on the other end of the line is willing to give a upperend prospect or draft pick. Look Mike O'Connell turned down Edmonton's 1st round pick for Raycroft. Do you really think some team will give up a first round pick during this offseason for Raycroft? Maybe a 2nd to 4th round pick that's it along w/ a journeymen type of player.

As for the article goes I usually like John's stuff but this one was terrible. No way Staal 1st pick nor Kessel a 7th pick. If the Bruins Draft a d-man again I am ready to jump off the face of this earth or hoping Penguins move to Hartford so I will no longer have to cheer for the Bruins. Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque only come once Bruins stop drafing dman in the first round! By the way the Bruins are holding a reality tv show to be a Bruin and will offer someone a tryout a training camp. It tell you where this team is heading.
Sry for Bruins rant but I just had to get it out of me.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Quiet Robert said:

Maybe Malkin but Kessel wouldn't fit with Crosby at all. Crosby likes to lead the attack in the offensive zone and so does Kessel. Kessel is also a shooting machine and shoots alot off of the rush so plays with a great center might be taken away.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
#66 said:
Maybe Malkin but Kessel wouldn't fit with Crosby at all. Crosby likes to lead the attack in the offensive zone and so does Kessel. Kessel is also a shooting machine and shoots alot off of the rush so plays with a great center might be taken away.

I think that would be a pretty poor reason to pass up on Kessel. More than anything, Crosby likes to win. I've followed him since junior and he can adapt to different types of linemates. If Kessel puts the puck in the net and helps them win games I don't think Crosby will care how many shots he takes.

To me Kessel has just be over analyzed. The guy is a fantastic prospect and any team would lucky to have him. The comparisons to Crosby last year were obviously ridiculous, but I think at worst Kessel ends up being a 30G-70pts type of guy.

I really like Toews, I like that type of player, but he'll never match Kessel's offensive output. Again, I usually go BPA but at no.2 OA with not much separation, I think you need to take your needs into account and Kessel would be a great young winger for the Pens to have.

MetalMilitia

Jan 8, 2005
Attica said:
I can definitely see Kessel falling to 5th, it's a fairly weak draft, and anyone could go off the board. I mean Meuller, to me, looks like an absolute steal to grab at the 6th spot, and I'd put Frolik and Backstrom ahead of him, so it's really up in the air

Staal could very easily be the best forward of the bunch, but he's high risk/high reward. Touted as the best of the Staal brothers, he could outdo his brother eric, or he could be another brett lindros, who the hell knows.

I know, that if I'm at the 3rd pick, I think long and hard about taking Staal over Kessel. You know what you're getting with Kessel, Staal is still in early development.

I see it looking like:

St.Louis - Erik Johnson (to good to pass up, the clear #1 this draft, St.Louis would be stupid to pass on him

Chicago Blackhawks - Jordan Staal (Chicago will give him time to develop, they've got a nice group of prospects coming up, and he should be one of the better forwards)

Washington Capitals - Phil Kessel (Washington will choose Kessel and will convert either him or Semin to the wing, Ovechkin - Semin - Kessel sounds pretty good.

Boston Bruins - Michel Frolik (Boston is deep at center, and could really use a talented scoring winger, Frolik is that winger, he should be a fixure beside Boyes or Bergeron for a while)

Columbus - Nicklas Backstrom (Columbus isn't so deep at center, and they need s speedy playmaker to feed zherdev and Nash)

NY Islanders - Bobby Sanguinetti (The Islanders will be happy to get the 2nd best d-man in the draft with the 7th pick. I islanders aren't deep in defensive prospects, and Sanguinetti is a good choice at 7th)

Pheonix - Derek Brassard (BPA pick, Coyotes get an excellent centerman)

Minnesota - Jonathon Bernier (Might be a somewhat off the board pick, but minnesota looks good up front, and has picking a d-man wouldn't be the smartest at 9th. I say Minnesota picks Bernier, good tender, best available.)

Florida - Nigel Williams (Florida isn't so deep on defense, other than jay-bo. A decent pick, if florida picks by position.

Los Angeles - Chris Stewart (a big forward to play with their group of solid, smaller forwards.)

Atlanta - I see Atlanta trading down to grab Ty Wishart later on in the draft, they MUST concentrate on getting d-men.

Toronto - James Sheppard (Toronto grabs a very solid center prospect with speed, grit and playmaking ability. Toronto needs prospect in every area, but is expecially shallow on forwards)

Vancouver - Peter Mueller (With so many Forward to choose from, it's a hard choice between Little, Okposo, Mueller, Emmerton, Tlusty. All would be solid picks. I say vancouver goes after a speedy, goal scoring forward. It's really a toss up between Meuller and Okposo for the BPA, and I'm not even sure myself. I would have to go with Mueller, but Little is an excellent prospect as well.)
I thought you were just going to give your projection of the top 5, but you just kept going! You deserve a standing O :clap: Good post

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
If Dwayne Roloson is worth a 1st rnd pick.........Tkachuk is worth 17 first round picks IMO :biglaugh:

yeah because you know, Dwayne Roloson has been the sole reason why the Detroit vs, Edmonton series is somewhat close.....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Quiet Robert said:
I think that would be a pretty poor reason to pass up on Kessel. More than anything, Crosby likes to win. I've followed him since junior and he can adapt to different types of linemates. If Kessel puts the puck in the net and helps them win games I don't think Crosby will care how many shots he takes.

To me Kessel has just be over analyzed. The guy is a fantastic prospect and any team would lucky to have him. The comparisons to Crosby last year were obviously ridiculous, but I think at worst Kessel ends up being a 30G-70pts type of guy.

I really like Toews, I like that type of player, but he'll never match Kessel's offensive output. Again, I usually go BPA but at no.2 OA with not much separation, I think you need to take your needs into account and Kessel would be a great young winger for the Pens to have.

:clap:
I certainly hope that the Pens use that logic and take him.

CH Wizard

he's deluding himself if he thinks, he's gonna go 7th. He has too much skills, I know the blues will pick Kessel and the pens Johnson...

Mark my damn words.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Great One said:
he's deluding himself if he thinks, he's gonna go 7th. He has too much skills, I know the blues will pick Kessel and the pens Johnson...

Mark my damn words.
I'll put a bet on this. I'll bet the Blues do not take Kessel - whether they'll take Johnson is open to debate.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Quiet Robert said:

I can't agree with that at all and I don't think that his game will translate well to the wing. He looks his best when carrying the puck through the neutral zone and building up a bunch of speed. If I'm taking a point-per-game player, I would want a well rounded one. Plus Toews actually scored more goals than Kessel did this year. What type of player do you think that Kessel would compare to?

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Tjardus Greidanus said:
If the Pens pick Toews I will murder Greg Malone with violence and Pixie Stix.
Toews is better offensively than Kessel, there is no way that Kessel would have scored the same amount of points last year as Toews did this year. Toews is a year younger than Kessel, Toews being an '88 and Kessel being an '87. and like the poster above stated, Toews scored more goals than Kessel did. Alot of people are underestimating Toews' offensive ability. I would be VERY !!!! suprised if Kessel produced better offense than Toews.

KH1

Attica said:

I applaud your effort but I can't see the Isles taking Sanguinetti. He is pretty much the exact same thing as Bruno Gervais, Chris Campoli and Denis Grebeshkov. All of whom are similar to Radek Martinek. If the Isles draft a defenseman in the first round it will be a huge reach for a very physical guy like Wishart.

As for Buccigross, I think that people have decided that he is a good writer just because he is the only person at ESPN.com who writes about hockey. Don't make that mistake; he rarely does any research at all and seems more interested in proving that he knows about hip new bands than hockey.

You wouldn't hear me complaining about Kessel to the Isles at #7 though :)

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
golleafsgo_17 said:
Toews is better offensively than Kessel, there is no way that Kessel would have scored the same amount of points last year as Toews did this year. Toews is a year younger than Kessel, Toews being an '88 and Kessel being an '87. and like the poster above stated, Toews scored more goals than Kessel did. Alot of people are underestimating Toews' offensive ability. I would be VERY !!!! suprised if Kessel produced better offense than Toews.
I wouldn't be surprised, but I think it's very possible that Toews outPOINTS Kessel in the NHL. I can see Kessel also as a Martin Havlat type(not saying that is bad at all, in fact that would be great I think, just giving my opinion).

lemieux32*

Interestingly the same kind of comments were made back in December when Buccigross said Wisconsin would win the NCAA title. We'll see if he makes the naysayers look bad again.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
lemieux32 said:
Interestingly the same kind of comments were made back in December when Buccigross said Wisconsin would win the NCAA title. We'll see if he makes the naysayers look bad again.
If people questioned Wisconsin winning it all in December, I don't know what they were smoking. Wisconsin was dynamite in December. Elliot was on fire, and they were sweeping teams left and right. I would like to know who doubted that then????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad