ESPN to televise over 340 Serie A matches

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Will it just be on ESPN+?

They're going to have a match of the week or two on ESPN/ESPN2 channels. But the rest are on ESPN+ which is the premium part of the app. It's $4.95 a month. There's a decent amount of stuff on there though, especially if you're a college sports fan.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They're going to have a match of the week or two on ESPN/ESPN2 channels. But the rest are on ESPN+ which is the premium part of the app. It's $4.95 a month. There's a decent amount of stuff on there though, especially if you're a college sports fan.
You can still get plenty of those games for free, going to be curious how ESPN+ works out. For the bigger college sports, you can get plenty of regular tv. For the obscure sports, you already need a bigger package to see them.

The subscription for sports is a fine model, but if every network does their own, then it defeats the purpose of why consumers went that route in the first place because it would be way too expensive to have them all, and none of them are going to be comprehensive enough to cover everything.

Reactions: Blender

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The subscription for sports is a fine model, but if every network does their own, then it defeats the purpose of why consumers went that route in the first place because it would be way too expensive to have them all, and none of them are going to be comprehensive enough to cover everything.

I have a family member who works in the entertainment industry for one of these networks, in a role where they know about all this stuff. Yes, all of them are going to do that. Without exception. They are going to try to ensure they get the money from cord cutters one way or another.

Any delays in service creation are due to app interfaces, data studies, price point, and other things that aren't quite figured out yet.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I have a family member who works in the entertainment industry for one of these networks, in a role where they know about all this stuff. Yes, all of them are going to do that. Without exception. They are going to try to ensure they get the money from cord cutters one way or another.

Any delays in service creation are due to app interfaces, data studies, price point, and other things that aren't quite figured out yet.
...and they will suffer the same fate the record companies did when they tried to fight technological advancement and demand instead of adapting.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Oh for sure. You are even seeing many different types of Netflix now, with Amazon, Hulu, and Disney coming out with their's. Streaming tv services has exploded, and places like Youtube and AT&T are getting involved. At a certain point, the market will become over-saturated. Consumers will only take in so many of those services, to the point that it's cheaper than cable/satellite. I'm just curious to see how it plays out.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You can still get plenty of those games for free, going to be curious how ESPN+ works out. For the bigger college sports, you can get plenty of regular tv. For the obscure sports, you already need a bigger package to see them.

Yeah I'm not sure how it'll work. But it's worth it if you're a Serie A fan for sure. I'm already getting ESPN+ for college bball season b/c my dad watches obscure D1 games like the MAAC (his alum is in it) so this is an added bonus.

I'm on Verizon and they dropped BEIN as part of a fees dispute. But BEIN kind of sucked anyway. They have too many league rights in the US (L1, La Liga, Serie A). It was pretty much just PSG, Barca and Real matches for the most part. Which is fine, but they were never flexible. I don't need to watch Real beat up Las Palmas live while Juve-Napoli is on a 6 hour tape delay.

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There will be market consolidation, and only time will tell which services can survive. But it was always the possible negative effect of 'a la carte' offers in the age of cord-cutting that this will only save money for those with very select interests (who no longer need very broad packages to satisfy their needs), but may actually cost more for people with very comprehensive interests (who now need a multitude of packages).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
...and they will suffer the same fate the record companies did when they tried to fight technological advancement and demand instead of adapting.

Probably. I think it's a disgrace, but they have no plans to just bend over as more people cut the cord. Companies like Warner Bros./Time Warner and Universal/Comcast should never have been allowed to own all these cable networks in the first place.

We already see with NBC that they are pairing certain things together as streaming packages. They will inevitably put everything they've ever distributed on those packages, including movies, and dare people not to pay them to watch it. Plus they'll maintain their cable side.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Can we just change this thread to Soccer TV coverage in general? @Live in the Now

Not to be a pain, but inevitably questions come up about where to watch what, how to see certain games, etc during the season.

I will need somewhere to rant when NBC puts United on the Gold package only at 730am on a saturday, and I'm drunk by 10.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This pisses me off. I was generally able to get by with my combo of Sportsworld Canada and BEIN to cover 5 main leagues.

Perhaps BEIN will pick up Russia or the Netherlands to fill the gap. Maybe a little more of Turkey. A dash of Premier League India to spice it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad