ESPN The Magazine: 30 players polled on realignment, PEDs, expansion, etc.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The whole point of the recently alignment was to reduce traveling costs. Do you think Detroit or Columbus wants to be forced back into the western conference?

NHL wants the northwest. Portland and Seattle make better sense for the league than one of them and Quebec. Growing the sport is better for league long term.

The league has been quite clear that the realignment can be revisited after 3 seasons.

If the league expands they'll select the cities that they'll feel is in the league's best interest - regarldess of location. Realignment will follow afterwards as historically done.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The sample size is way too small. It pretty much yields a +/- 17% confidence interval at 95% confidence level.

In other words the results are only useful for the population they questioned and is not appropriate to extrapolate for the entire league

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The league has been quite clear that the realignment can be revisited after 3 seasons.

If the league expands they'll select the cities that they'll feel is in the league's best interest - regarldess of location. Realignment will follow afterwards as historically done.

Can be doesn't mean won't be why make it a larger mess then necessary.

No offense to quebec folks i just don't see how best interest of the league to go with Seattle/quebec city over Seattle/Portland. Of course if there is still interesting for a NHL in portland by the time league expands is a separate issue.

Long term quebec best option is coyotes and i don't see RSE keeping the team after 5 years if they opt out. $$$ in building a new arena elsewhere is far more costly then agreeing to a lease agreement

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Seattle is definitely on the top of the list question remains if they rather have a balanced league 16 western based teams and 16 eastern based team over 15 western based team+ Detroit or Columbus and 16 based team including Quebec.

Quebec has a huge disadvantage. Quebec needs the western based teams in order to have get an expansion team. They might prefer Portland over Quebec which leaves coyotes only possibility for quebec in 5 years. It gets more complicated for them if Milwaukee gets the new arena

Agreed what NHL plans are expansion wise is anyone's guess. it could already be decided that its Seattle and Portland and they are just waiting till Seattle's arena gets the final approval and is able to built t with NHL first.
hmmm.

when you have an arena, let us know.

Captain Mittens*

I love that Milwaukee is at 7%.

A Milwaukee and Seattle expansion would solve the 14/16 "problem"

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I love that Milwaukee is at 7%.

A Milwaukee and Seattle expansion would solve the 14/16 "problem"

7% of 30 means that 2 players picked Milwaukee.

According to math posted above by someone who knows more about statistics than I do, the small sample size of the poll gives it a margin of error of 17% - more than twice that 7%

Okay, I'm done harping on this embarrassment of a "poll" ...in this thread at least. :)

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
No offense to quebec folks i just don't see how best interest of the league to go with Seattle/quebec city over Seattle/Portland.

There is a long list of reasons why Quebec would be a better NHL market than Portland, and we've been over them ad nauseum.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
7% of 30 means that 2 players picked Milwaukee.

According to math posted above by someone who knows more about statistics than I do, the small sample size of the poll gives it a margin of error of 17% - more than twice that 7%

Okay, I'm done harping on this embarrassment of a "poll" ...in this thread at least. :)

So that would mean another survey could have yielded negative 3 players selecting Milwaukee. :propeller

TJT

Oct 1, 2007
A lot of people in this thread seem to think that Quebec City is not in Canada...

Quebec City has the most support, 27% + 17% = 44%, followed by Seattle at 37%.

The entire list of cities totals 102%, but since we are dealing with only 30 players, the 7%'s appear to be rounded up from 2/30 = 6.67%

37% (36.66%) = 11/30
27% (26.66%) = 8/30
17% (16.66%) = 5/30
7% (6.66%) = 2/30
7% (6.66%) = 2/30
7% (6.66%) = 2/30

Grand total of 30/30

More precisely, Quebec City got 13/30 (43.33%), while Seattle got 11/30 (36.66%).

QED

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Do you really think they would put teams in Portland and Seattle on the same expansion?

No way....

Up to NHL to decide what's best for their league. Portland and Seattle offers more growth to league than quebec would imo. Quebec is instant success no doubt but long term Portland and seattle would be better.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A lot of people in this thread seem to think that Quebec City is not in Canada...

The entire list of cities totals 102%, but since we are dealing with only 30 players, the 7%'s appear to be rounded up from 2/30 = 6.67%

37% (36.66%) = 11/30
27% (26.66%) = 8/30
17% (16.66%) = 5/30
7% (6.66%) = 2/30
7% (6.66%) = 2/30
7% (6.66%) = 2/30

Grand total of 30/30

More precisely, Quebec City got 13/30 (43.33%), while Seattle got 11/30 (36.66%).

QED

What the players think and what the NHL thinks its two different things.

Betamax*

What the players think and what the NHL thinks its two different things.

I think the individual players would concede to the advice of the NHLPA and their agents who would likely advise them on which potential expansion sites would yield the highest utility for their own pocketbooks.

If that's the case, IMO, a second team in Toronto or the GTA would be a the top of the list.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

QED

It doesn't work that way, Quebec City got 8 votes. 5 players said that they'd prefer a Canadian city over an American city, but they didn't list QC over Toronto. You're assuming that if you forced them to pick a city they'd take Quebec over Toronto, and there's nothing in the poll results that indicate that.

I'd venture to guess that if you polled the same 30 players and gave them only 2 options, QC or Seattle, the results would be split right down the middle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the individual players would concede to the advice of the NHLPA and their agents who would likely advise them on which potential expansion sites would yield the highest utility for their own pocketbooks.

If that's the case, IMO, a second team in Toronto or the GTA would be a the top of the list.

And 2nd in that are would provide nothing but instant success for league no actually long term growth.

Betamax*

And 2nd in that are would provide nothing but instant success for league no actually long term growth.

Could you elaborate on that point? I think there would be a very big appetite for a second team in Toronto or GTA. Primary the "anything" but Leafs crowd. You know, those that aren't the mainstream that when a certain style is in vogue, they choose the opposite path. It would be sort of like a Yankees/Mets dynamic. Where the Leafs are the Yankees and the Mets would be that second team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Could you elaborate on that point? I think there would be a very big appetite for a second team in Toronto or GTA. Primary the "anything" but Leafs crowd. You know, those that aren't the mainstream that when a certain style is in vogue, they choose the opposite path. It would be sort of like a Yankees/Mets dynamic. Where the Leafs are the Yankees and the Mets would be that second team.

people in the GTA area already watch NHL hockey so long term the league don't really have much to gain other than instant success. NHL has more to gain with both Portland and Seattle. NW as been mention is the last major untapped region in the US if not NA. They'll get an instant cascasdia rivalry going (see MLS). Get more people to watch NHL on TV that aren't watching it today. NHL also gains those smaller markets Alaska, the rest of oregon/washington, Idaho and part of montana national tv wise.

TJT

Oct 1, 2007
It doesn't work that way, Quebec City got 8 votes. 5 players said that they'd prefer a Canadian city over an American city, but they didn't list QC over Toronto. You're assuming that if you forced them to pick a city they'd take Quebec over Toronto, and there's nothing in the poll results that indicate that.

I'd venture to guess that if you polled the same 30 players and gave them only 2 options, QC or Seattle, the results would be split right down the middle.

But the people conducting this poll did not force the players to select one, they allowed them to cop out and say 'Anywhere in Canada'.

I'm not assuming they would pick QC over TO, I'm saying the 'any Canadian city' portion is additive to any one of the other Canadian city's score, so by extension TO would be 7/30.

I understand where the players who picked the "any option" are coming from, I am/was personally rooting for any new Canadian teams whether they be Winnipeg, QC, TO:2, Hamilton, although I have no tangible connection to these places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->