ESPN Reports change of heart from PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

Scugs said:
Yea, now that I try it, there is no sound. I get the "ESPN is brought to you by the USA Air Force" or something.... But after that, nothing. :(

I'm thinking this was a hoax. If this isn't confirmed soon, the admins should take down this thread.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Crazy Lunatic said:
I'm thinking this was a hoax. If this isn't confirmed soon, the admins should take down this thread.

Quite a few above confirmed hearing the same thing . . . it may be a hoax, but if so it is a well coordinated one with several on this board.

Crazy Lunatic

Scugs said:
Well I don't think it was a hoax.. Just because ESPNews radio isnt available for streaming, doesn't make it a hoax.

Saskin said as late as last night that the union is not interested in any form of cap. I'll beleive that before I believe some ESPN news story that isn't even mentioned on their website.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Crazy Lunatic said:
Saskin said as late as last night that the union is not interested in any form of cap. I'll beleive that before I believe some ESPN news story that isn't even mentioned on their website.

The NHL said that they absolutely NEED linkage. But here we are with Daly saying that the NHL is willing to negotiate a cap without linkage.

Alot of things were said during this lockout. Some quotes have merit, some serve no other purpose than a PR move.

spartyinmd

Feb 2, 2005
Folks...Daly was on FAN 590 last night and said this. It was before the Toronto Raptors game. He said this completely that he doesn't understand why the players haven't brought a proposal without linkage because the owners are willing to negotiate one without linkage as long as it is reasonable.

NYIsles1*

Scugs said:
The NHL said that they absolutely NEED linkage. But here we are with Daly saying that the NHL is willing to negotiate a cap without linkage.

Alot of things were said during this lockout. Some quotes have merit, some serve no other purpose than a PR move.
I think Goodenow would rather go to the courts and lose two years to keep his free market. He will never agree to a cap or any kind of ceiling that restricts the free market. He would give back 100 percent of exsisting contracts to keep open bidding to drive contracts because it works for the NHLPA.

Regarding the comments it does not seem like P.R at all by Saskin.

Saskin reiterated the players' opposition to any type of salary cap, even without linkage.

"They've always presented it as one concept, not two concepts," Saskin told The Score. "We're not interested in negotiating any arbitrary cap. If [Daly] has other ideas he would like to present, he should present them to us."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/10884680.htm?1c
Hicks went on to say that the league owners are "100 percent committed to fixing hockey" with a system of cost certainty and that "the players have turned down the best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty."

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

I just seen it on the Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daly said they can deal without linkage, and when told that Saskin seemed shocked and suprised in his interview afterwards.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
Saprykin Fan said:
I just seen it on the Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daly said they can deal without linkage, and when told that Saskin seemed shocked and suprised in his interview afterwards.

I just saw that same thing on the score and it did not look optimistic at all from saskin's side. He just tried to ignore the question, and came back with an answer that tip toed around it. It looks to me like the PA is not going to move off anything. Sorry I had hope two weeks ago, but even with all the rumblings right now, I still feel we are just days away from the saga ended for the year. Hope I am wrong, but I would bet quite a bit of money saying there will be no hockey this year.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Saskin is just making himself look stupid. Its clear that comming off linkage is a HUGE compromise from the Leagues side. And Saskin goes on to say "We find ourselves without a negotiating partner throughout this process."

How amazingly stupid. They need to pull their heads out of their asses and read between the lines.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Saprykin Fan said:
From NHL.com - July NHL proposal (one of six options presented):
http://nhlcbanews.com/dalymail/daly_mailbag111504.html
A Hard Individual Team Salary Cap, which would be similar in concept to the system employed in the National Football League. Under this system, each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union and designated for player compensation. Cap administration rules, would, however, be negotiated to suit the particular and unique circumstances of the National Hockey League, and to minimize potential competitive advantages attributable to differences in financial resources among various Clubs.

Under a Hard Salary Cap System, player contracts could continue to be "guaranteed;" player agents would continue to perform their current function and role; and any concern about salary stratification between high-salaried star players and lower-salaried role players could be addressed by the League and the Union in collective bargaining.

There's no linkage mentioned in that hard cap system. I don't understand why this is "news". If it is, it is OLD news.

Old Hickory

Crazy Lunatic said:
It's confirmed by 4 posters in the thread. Leave the moderating to the moderators

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Which again goes to show Saskin isnt really paying attention during these meetings. They accuse the NHL of lying, when they go spewing out "They didnt tell us this :cry: ". It was actually brought to their attention almost a year ago.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
cleduc said:
From NHL.com - July NHL proposal (one of six options presented):
http://nhlcbanews.com/dalymail/daly_mailbag111504.html
A Hard Individual Team Salary Cap, which would be similar in concept to the system employed in the National Football League. Under this system, each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union and designated for player compensation. Cap administration rules, would, however, be negotiated to suit the particular and unique circumstances of the National Hockey League, and to minimize potential competitive advantages attributable to differences in financial resources among various Clubs.

Under a Hard Salary Cap System, player contracts could continue to be "guaranteed;" player agents would continue to perform their current function and role; and any concern about salary stratification between high-salaried star players and lower-salaried role players could be addressed by the League and the Union in collective bargaining.

There's no linkage mentioned in that hard cap system. I don't understand why this is "news". If it is, it is OLD news.

Thats linkage. Its tied to a portion of revenue and then divided by 30. NFL is linkage.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
I just saw that same thing on the score and it did not look optimistic at all from saskin's side. He just tried to ignore the question, and came back with an answer that tip toed around it. It looks to me like the PA is not going to move off anything.

Thing is, is that Saskin is so caught up in this - being trained and molded into this hardnosed guy negotiating on behalf of the union, that it doesn't really surprise me that he didn't seem publicly enthusiastic about the fact that Daly said there didn't have to be linkage. Deep down he knows it's something to work off of. I bet as soon as he finished that interview he was on the phone with the other union punks figuring out what move to make.

Whether anyone likes it or not, and even though the league slapped a bunch of triggers on it - the fact that the league is even entertaining the thought of using the Dec. 9 proposal means that they are willing to negotiate. It's the players' turn.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
shadoz19 said:
Thats linkage. Its tied to a portion of revenue and then divided by 30. NFL is linkage.

Nope. "each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union"

Revenue is not mentioned. The cap is negotiated as is the administration of it.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Get Over Yourself

BLONG7 said:
Funny how these PA individuals seem to have irked most of us...these are also the same crew that makes the PA look very bad, and probably zip it...BTW it's Chri$ Pronger and Chri$ Chelio$... :joker:

We'll try to get word to Chelios and Pronger to knock it off. Certainly don't want to upset you and Eye. The nerve of those guys.

(The self-importance quotient reaching new highs among a few delusional fans, it appears.)

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
cleduc said:
Nope. "each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union"

Revenue is not mentioned. The cap is negotiated as is the administration of it.

But in the NHL's proposal before the "compromise proposal", they mentioned a minimum payroll of 32 million and a maximum payroll of 42 million. I don't remember if that was linked to revenues, but it was supposed to be a floating cap.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Trottier said:
We'll try to get word to Chelios and Pronger to knock it off. Certainly don't want to upset you and Eye. The nerve of those guys.

(The self-importance quotient reaching new highs among a few delusional fans, it appears.)

...maybe that has something to do with the fact that the fans are being totally ignored while the NHL and NHLPA walk out of 9-hour meetings with NO progress time and time again.

Crazy Lunatic

Foppa_Rules said:
But in the NHL's proposal before the "compromise proposal", they mentioned a minimum payroll of 32 million and a maximum payroll of 42 million. I don't remember if that was linked to revenues, but it was supposed to be a floating cap.

A floating cap is a cap linked to revenues. The 32-42 number was based on last years revenues.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:

That has nothing to do with this July proposal/concept. An issue raised in this thread is that somehow, the concept of negotiating a hard cap without linkage is new to this processs and somehow a possible break through. It isn't. It is old news and was rejected by the NHLPA last July.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
cleduc said:
That has nothing to do with this July proposal/concept. An issue raised in this thread is that somehow, the concept of negotiating a hard cap without linkage is new to this processs and somehow a possible break through. It isn't. It is old news and was rejected by the NHLPA last July.

Well, it seems to me that the NHL started out with a softer view of the necessary salary cap but has gotten more and more hardened as the negotiations have been going on. So in that sense it could be called a breakthrough that they are willing (maybe) to go back to the softer view of it. Now the NHLPA may be willing to take that deal given the alternatives.

Crazy Lunatic

cleduc said:

Ted Saskin is under the impression that you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad