ESPN ranks sports franchises 2011: #2 NHL Tampa

Steve Passless*

I do not like the NBA at all if STL had an NBA team even if they should be ranked number 1 in every category i would subconsciously rate them lower than the Blues bc of how much i love hockey.

That's an excellent point. Nice post!

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
That list is so stupid.

Well what would you expect a 'survey of sports fans' to reveal? Intelligence? Surveys tell us what the thoughts are of people who stop what their doing to respond to a 15 minute phone call survey, or stop what they are doing to respond to some dumb email or internet survey. And really, who cares what they think, except for fun?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
This list is extremely subjective and so should not really aggravate anyone if their team isn't high enough. I will agree that some rankings may not make sense, though. I would assume teams like the Habs and Toronto would be higher. Especially the Habs at this point. The Leafs got a terrible stadium score, and the Habs should probably even be higher than 22 for Stadium Experience.

But as I said the list is very subjective and there is no point in nitpicking. ESPN never really seemed to make sense when it came to hockey anyways.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
This list can be mocked for several reasons. But at least they were spot-on at the bottom of the ownership category.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
What a messed up list.

They have the Bulls directly under the Hawks for stadium experience. Go to a Hawks game and then a Bulls game the next night. The difference in experience is stagering. Bulls crowds are corporate and boring, they get more excited over promotions during stoppages then they do for the game. Hawks crowds are loud and passionate.

Steve Passless*

Blackhawks games have just as much corporate presence as anywhere else. The United Center isn't really a cheap date.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Tampa has a ton of wicked players on it but in that city hockey is totally lost on everyone, therefore they can't charge more... put that team in a hockey market and you would be paying top dollar. Same as phoenix, playoff team in the NHL with NO FANS. Again can't charge too much so the people that like hockey are loving it.

Absolutely incorrect.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Blackhawks games have just as much corporate presence as anywhere else. The United Center isn't really a cheap date.

Go to a Hawks game and what do you see in the 100 level - jerseys everywhere

Go to a Bulls game and what do you see in the 100 level - people in button downs and khakis who look like they came straight from work everywhere.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
how do the overall rankings even make sense? how is tampa #2 overall? it's just silly...look how many of those categories the penguins were top 5 in, and somehow they're ranked 8 spots below tampa overall?

facepalm-city

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
this list was funny. I don't see Nashville winning 70 trophies in anything in the next 70 years to be honest.

These numbers are hazey at best.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
this list was funny. I don't see Nashville winning 70 trophies in anything in the next 70 years to be honest.

These numbers are hazey at best.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Toronto fans give the most and receive the least. Toronto should be on the bottom. For the rest who knows.

Blue Regime

Nov 15, 2008
Groton, CT
Go to a Hawks game and what do you see in the 100 level - jerseys everywhere

Go to a Bulls game and what do you see in the 100 level - people in button downs and khakis who look like they came straight from work everywhere.

True for almost every NHL city to be honest. Even at Islander games, who have terrible attendance, jerseys can be found on almost every fan. I went to a Nets-Bulls game last season and the place was like a morgue. I actually counted more Bulls jerseys than Nets jerseys, and I didn't see more than 10 Chicago jerseys. In general, hockey fans are more passionate than basketball fans, probably because hockey isn't as mainstream as basketball so to spend that kinda money to go to a game, you must be a big fan of the sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad