ESPN Ranks NHL Defenses... Detroit is 30th

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sharks top rankings of all 31 NHL teams' defense groups

"Detroit:

Here's the good news about the Red Wings' defense: There's plenty of room for prospects to audition (likely Dennis Cholowski and/or Libor Sulak). Here's the bad news about the Red Wings' defense: See above. This is probably the last go for 37-year-old Niklas Kronwall, a Stanley Cup stalwart entering the final year of his contract. Mike Green, the only defenseman with notable offensive production, is missing the beginning of the season because of a scary virus attacking his liver."

(Nothing really new here, but nice that an awful facet should finally have some promising young faces to develop.)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not surprising. I thought they would be last but forgot Ottawa traded Karlsson. Man that team is bad, worse defense than Detroit. Chabot might take a step forward this year (like a big step) and make them pass Detroit but their defense is brutal

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Get rid of Ericssson, Kronwall and Green. Add Karlssonn, the kids and another Top 4 vet. Good stew cooking next season or two.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wonder what we'd be rated if we dropped Green, Kronwall, Jensen and inserted some combo of Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, and Sulak.

Maybe a couple of spots higher at best.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Get rid of Ericssson, Kronwall and Green. Add Karlssonn, the kids and another Top 4 vet. Good stew cooking next season or two.

Even with Karlsson and the kids, I wouldn't rate the defense as top 15. None of the kids are rated highly in their ability to play against high end talent and shut them down. A defense of Karlsson and kids would be scoring a ton, but also get scored on a ton.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I feel like Calgary has been at the top of these lists for years now. Their defense is horrible.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Been hearing that for a long time. The future was Smith and Kindl. Until it wasn't.

Eventually they'll get better, the same way a thousand monkeys write Shakespeare, but without drafting D early, there's no guarantees.

Uhhh...

Smith and Kindl were own inviduals from different era, and these current players have nothing to do with them.

The faith of Smith & Kindl does not predict the future of our current kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Uhhh...

Smith and Kindl were own inviduals from different era, and these current players have nothing to do with them.

The faith of Smith & Kindl does not predict the future of our current kids.
The point is that being encouraged by the progress of the youth is still a long ways from knowing that the next influx will legitimately fix a long-festering problem.

I really do hope that Hronek, Cholowski, and even Sulak all become good players. But that's far from certain just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The point is that being encouraged by the progress of the youth is still a long ways from knowing that the next influx will legitimately fix a long-festering problem.

I really do hope that Hronek, Cholowski, and even Sulak all become good players. But that's far from certain just yet.
Your nuanced understanding of Bench's point has no place here!! :laugh:

Totally agree. Having watched the Wings for years and years, I've seen several waves of prospects who were going to come in and save the day. And the reality is that's just not what happens with most young prospects.

That's not to say I'm not optimistic about Zadina and Cholowski and the others. But as you've said, it's far from certain.

But somehow tempered optimism is apparently negativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad