ESPN radio reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2002
....via Steve Cooley from The Score that it's possible that a lot of movement could very well take place today by both sides. The owners may budge with the hard cap....the players may budge with how soft the cap will be. According to the guy from The Score, Trevor Linden contacting Bettmen directly is what got this ball rolling. He is the one taking this forward.

Take that for what it's worth.

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
Wild GM said:
....via Steve Cooley from The Score that it's possible that a lot of movement could very well take place today by both sides. The owners may budge with the hard cap....the players may budge with how soft the cap will be. According to the guy from The Score, Trevor Linden contacting Bettmen directly is what got this ball rolling. He is the one taking this forward.

Anyone else thinking that Linden should take over for Goodenow?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The owners may budge with the hard cap

That would be shocking, IMO.

They have the power in this situation and it would surprise me a lot to see them cave.

rwilson99

Wild GM said:

Sounds like an Eklund rumor... but I like it.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
rabi said:
Anyone else thinking that Linden should take over for Goodenow?

Linden is the president. Goodenow is employed by him. It was about time Trevor took matters into his own hands because he's at the top of the union hierarchy.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
According to the guy from The Score, Trevor Linden contacting Bettmen directly is what got this ball rolling. He is the one taking this forward.

Linden contacted Bettman AHEAD of a meeting with Hotchkiss to admit he will give in??

Not a freaking chance. That's insane.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Fact is a hard cap won't happen exactly how the owners had wanted it.

They are offering what $37? While they have the power it's something that can just lead to the NHLPA supporting a new league.

Some type of cap is inevitable but I don't think a hard cap at what the NHL is envisioning. Any type of cap is a win for them unless its a hard cap at $70 million (not going to happen anyway).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yesterday I heard Bill Watters say on Leafs Lunch,Trevor Linden and Gary Bettman spoke on the phone last Thursday and they have an understanding on what each side needs

According to Watters,Goodenow is not a happy camper

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Wild GM said:

I think his real name is Steve Kouleas. I doubt he has much insider info since he's mainly a sports telecaster. I think he's speculating more than anyone else and I would tend to agree with him right now. I think it'll take quite a lot of test!cular fortitude on both sides to cancel the whole season. Apparently, the owners are facing tons of pressure from local media outlets that broadcast their game to start playing (major source of income I presume...a new dynamic that has entered just recently given that they're upset of the cheapness of the new CBS deal). The players, as always, have had a lot to lose. Many (not most) of them would prefer to take a cap. I think we could end up seeing an agreement that includes a soft cap with some real revenue sharing...a CBA that would allow the players to make lots of money but allow some drag on salaries (cost certainty) and would easily allow the small market teams to be competetive (much moreso than a 40 mill hard cap).

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Fact is a hard cap won't happen exactly how the owners had wanted it.

They are offering what $37? While they have the power it's something that can just lead to the NHLPA supporting a new league.

Some type of cap is inevitable but I don't think a hard cap at what the NHL is envisioning. Any type of cap is a win for them unless its a hard cap at $70 million (not going to happen anyway).

I think the owners will end up agreeing to terms that they had predetermined as being acceptable on their part. Ask for twice as much as you hope for and settle for something in between. Look for a soft cap at about 35 million with a very stiff luxury tax that includes losing draft picks and a hard cap at 45 million with a 24% rollback and concessions on all others non cap issues.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The NHL has NEVER, EVER been fixated on a Hard Cap. The NHL has been fixated on ensuring that TOTAL player costs comprise a known % of leage revenue. The Current NBA system ALMOST accomplishes this (the luxury tax probably kicks in too high, but that is the ONLY thing that is keeping salaries too high). So, as long as the "soft" cap will keep player salaries below a set % of league revenue, the NHL will have NO PROBLEM taking that type of deal.

If the players are willing to talk about this sort of setup, then this labour dispute is nearing its end. It has been quite clear that once the discussion changed from linkage/no lonkage, to how much money will the players get that a deal would be imminent.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Yesterday I heard Bill Watters say on Leafs Lunch,Trevor Linden and Gary Bettman spoke on the phone last Thursday and they have an understanding on what each side needs

According to Watters,Goodenow is not a happy camper
Good, what goes around comes around for Goodenow... he can take arrogant BS on the road, and take Gary Bettman with him for company.

Go Flames Go*

Trevor Linden is Bob Goodenows boss. If Linden likes a deal he has the power to accept with the vote of the excutive commities thus forcing good ole Bobby to sign the CBA.

Goodenow is not good for hockey, he dosen't understand ****.

mooseOAK*

I think that Goodenow set the players on the current course and now that the season could be cancelled and the owners aren't giving in the players are losing faith. The NHLPA never had a plan B after "no cap" and now they are trying to come up with one.

Go Flames Go*

Player suppourters disgust me.

I heard on the radio this morning from Petr Mahr, that the new concept the NHL is bringing to the table today is indeed going t be the soft cap and hard cap with stuff salary taxes.

Lanny MacDonald*

Go Flames Go said:
Player suppourters disgust me.

I heard on the radio this morning from Petr Mahr, that the new concept the NHL is bringing to the table today is indeed going t be the soft cap and hard cap with stuff salary taxes.

That's okay. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of player supporters that you disgust. Hell, I think are plenty of owner supporters that you disgust as well. Keep that fact to yourself and try to focus on the subject matter at hand.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't understand how the owners can now turn around and propose a system where team payrolls aren't the same.

This deal would still allow the rich teams to spend more if they want to...and I guarantee you they will.

Isn't this why the league said "no luxury tax" in the first place?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The league said no luxury tax because a luxury tax, on its own, doesn't create "linkage". Remember, all money from the luxury tax goes into different owners pockets, who can then spend that money on players. So if the NYR spend 80 mil on payroll, and 40 mil on luxury tax, that 40 mil in tax is STILL going to go to the players, driving salaries up. Unless a luxury tax REMOVES money from the system (and I have no idea how you would set it up to make it work like this), it will not suceed in controlling salaries.

Go Flames Go*

Bill Daly said they don't belive in a luxury tax but will still look at ways to jointly craft something as he says.

Lanny MacDonald*

Egil said:
Unless a luxury tax REMOVES money from the system (and I have no idea how you would set it up to make it work like this), it will not suceed in controlling salaries.

I outlined how they make that mechanism work in my mock CBA document. If tax revenues are not returned to the salary pool, and spent on things like game and market development initiatives, then the salary escalation halts and the false market is not continually fed. But if the tax revenue goes right back into the salary pool a false market is created and salary escalation continues. There is no drag when the money is shifted from one team to another to be spent on salaries.

Go Flames Go*

20 cents on the dollar is not going to work. The NHL could argue that the reason they want to create a large rate for salary tax is to create a larger pool of money that would benefit teams in the red. Im pretty sure teams like Detroit, Colorado, Toronto, Philly would all glady go over a soft cap and pay large amounts of salary taxes.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
The Iconoclast said:
That's okay. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of player supporters that you disgust. Hell, I think are plenty of owner supporters that you disgust as well. Keep that fact to yourself and try to focus on the subject matter at hand.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->