ESPN purchases MLS broadcast rights in 8-year deal

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think MLS will pick up as much storm in the US as some optimistic people tend to believe. The majority of soccer fans in the States prefer to watch the best players week in and week out, and with the arrival of Gol TV, Setanta, etc, they'll get greater access to those games. I just can't see millions of people going out, and saying "GO GALAXY!" or "C'MON Revolution." The league is such a gimmick that the hardcore soccer fans often cringe at (listen to World Soccer Daily, which is based in the States, and listen to all the MLS bashing that goes on).

Essentially, yes. I'm not a big soccer fan but I like a good game. I watched as much of the World Cup as I could because it was the best soccer in the world. After watching that I'm not going to settle for some soccer equivelant of the Schweizerischer Eishockeyverband.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I've said it before I'll say it again. I would like to see how hockey would be doing if it got the promotion that soccer, or poker or the WNBA gets.

NassauIsles82*

I've said it before I'll say it again. I would like to see how hockey would be doing if it got the promotion that soccer, or poker or the WNBA gets.

I introduced alot of my friends to hockey(ones that didn't watch it) this year. All of them loved the playoffs, and couldn't believe what they were missing out on. I put on the Colorado/Dallas game 3 for them at first, and that's all it took. They then watched the rest of the playoffs all on their own :)

I'm almost 100 percent positive the NHL would be more popular than the NBA in the states, and it would give the MLB a run for it's money if it got better promotion.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I introduced alot of my friends to hockey(ones that didn't watch it) this year. All of them loved the playoffs, and couldn't believe what they were missing out on. I put on the Colorado/Dallas game 3 for them at first, and that's all it took. They then watched the rest of the playoffs all on their own :)

I'm almost 100 percent positive the NHL would be more popular than the NBA in the states, and it would give the MLB a run for it's money if it got better promotion.

Only so far you can take a game played on Ice my friend. On a side note, the MLS all stars beat chelsea.... that's funny.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I don't think MLS will pick up as much storm in the US as some optimistic people tend to believe. The majority of soccer fans in the States prefer to watch the best players week in and week out, and with the arrival of Gol TV, Setanta, etc, they'll get greater access to those games. I just can't see millions of people going out, and saying "GO GALAXY!" or "C'MON Revolution." The league is such a gimmick that the hardcore soccer fans often cringe at (listen to World Soccer Daily, which is based in the States, and listen to all the MLS bashing that goes on).

MLS wasn't meant to compete with the larger and more established leagues around the world. Not when it was founded 10+ years ago, not now. And thankfully the guys in charge knew that. They have made the league what it needed to be; a developmental league. It will continue to be that for at least another decade I would think.

Most of the bigger leagues have been around forever; anywhere from 60 years to more than a century. No one in their right mind would think you could simply start up a league and compete with that after only a decade. Fans and media are always very impatient, and will jump on anything that is perceived as weakness and beat the hell out it. Few or any of them know and/or care about how it happens, they just see the small picture and go off on that.

The big picture is that builing up a league that started when it did in the mid 90s will take a lot of baby steps. There's no getting around that. There's no getting around that these steps will take many, many years (decades even). But MLS started out this process correctly, and they continue to do that.

Those who compare it with any established league are so far off the mark it's not even funny. MLS is a baby, the others are adults. There is no comparison to make yet. In a couple of decades maybe, but certainly not now.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
MLS is garbage. I dont know a single person who follows it. They thought by putting two teams in Florida, that it would attract the Latin fanbase, but what they didnt take into account was that Florida's latin population mostly consist of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans, which all prefer baseball to soccer. Because of the low attendance they got here, both of the Florida teams folded.I watch the EPL some, but thats about it. By the way, what is that weird buzzing sound you hear at just about MLS games?

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I'm good with gettin 60 games on OLN and 10 (30 if you have Center Ice) On NBC.

Compared to getting 40 on ESPN2 and 4 (12 if you have CI) on ABC.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
You know what, I rarely ever watched the national broadcast on ESPN till playoff season.

I watched about 30-40 of the OLN games in full.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Fine by me anyways. The MLS is trash. Maybe by the grace of God, OLN/VS can end up with some European soccer.

If they can wrestle it away from Fox Sports.

I think they're hoping Beckham comes over to play.

He'll be here probably for the 2008 season. He has one more season on his contract with Barca and perhaps may return to the Premiership for one more season (I wouldn't be surprised if it's a transfer deal during the next few months with him signing a contract for an additional seaso), as it was rumored that several EPL clubs were trying to get him during the recent transfer window (Including Newcastle Utd., who need a striker since Shearer has retired and Owen is out for most if not all of the upcoming campaign).

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I heard Beckham might be going to Spurs (the team I support) because thats who he rooted for as a kid. As for MLS, if they were playing in my backyard, i would close the blinds. the same goes for major league baseball and the NBA

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

First the NHL needs to get some commercials that actually show hockey. No more Dennis Leary narrated commercials with Japanese warrior quotes.

I thought what the NHL should do is take about 20 different "great" moments from the season and make them into commercials (Crosby's SO goal vs. Montreal, Ovechkin's crazy goal, Gauthier's hit on Straka, oodles of playoff stuff). Just have some short into, then play the clip w/ the announcer and everything. Hopefully people watching go, "wow, that was cool. NHL, eh?".

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
First the NHL needs to get some commercials that actually show hockey. No more Dennis Leary narrated commercials with Japanese warrior quotes.

I thought what the NHL should do is take about 20 different "great" moments from the season and make them into commercials (Crosby's SO goal vs. Montreal, Ovechkin's crazy goal, Gauthier's hit on Straka, oodles of playoff stuff). Just have some short into, then play the clip w/ the announcer and everything. Hopefully people watching go, "wow, that was cool. NHL, eh?".

You mean like the NBA commercials.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
If they can wrestle it away from Fox Sports.

He'll be here probably for the 2008 season. He has one more season on his contract with Barca and perhaps may return to the Premiership for one more season (I wouldn't be surprised if it's a transfer deal during the next few months with him signing a contract for an additional seaso), as it was rumored that several EPL clubs were trying to get him during the recent transfer window (Including Newcastle Utd., who need a striker since Shearer has retired and Owen is out for most if not all of the upcoming campaign).

ugh... please get your basic facts straight.

beckham doesn't play for barca, and beckham's a midfielder - not a striker.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
I heard Beckham might be going to Spurs (the team I support) because thats who he rooted for as a kid. As for MLS, if they were playing in my backyard, i would close the blinds. the same goes for major league baseball and the NBA

beckham may have grown up in london, but he didn't cheer for tottenham. he was a manyoo fan from day 1. :)

... till about day... whenever in 2003 when he was finally transfered to real.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
beckham may have grown up in london, but he didn't cheer for tottenham. he was a manyoo fan from day 1. :)

... till about day... whenever in 2003 when he was finally transfered to real.
That's correct. The reason Beckham has links with Spurs is because his grandfather was a serious Spurs fan, and would take him to White Hart Lane often when he was a kid. But him and his dad were always Man Utd fans.

chiavsfan

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- ESPN has bought the rights to broadcast Major League Soccer games and other related events under an eight-year deal.

ESPN2 will broadcast 26 regular-season games on Thursday nights as well as three playoff games a year. The deal also allows televised coverage of the first round of the MLS SuperDraft.

Also, ABC will broadcast the league's season opener, the All-Star game and the MLS Cup.

The deal marks the first time that a network has agreed to pay for the rights to MLS games.

"ESPN has rights to our games, highlights, chats with our players, etc.," MLS commissioner Don Barber said. "This new relationship will have a positive impact on our sport."

Again ESPN throws the NHL a slap in the face. They will pay for the B-grade soccer that is the MLS and won't pay for NHL games. :madfire:

YEAH!!! More ESPN programming I can nap to during the day. The slowest most boring sport on earth, followed by the World Series of Darts, Poker, and the NBA...best naps EVER!

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm sure you have, but it's not my fault your media is ill-informed.

This was supposed to happen in the 80's after the NASL had that surge with Pele and Beckenbauer et al. What happens the number of kids playing soccer doesn't translate to interest in the pro game and the league collapsed.

What happens more often than not is soccer kids get more interested in other sports.

Believe the last thing the world wants is a US that gives a **** about soccer.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
This was supposed to happen in the 80's after the NASL had that surge with Pele and Beckenbauer et al. What happens the number of kids playing soccer doesn't translate to interest in the pro game and the league collapsed.

What happens more often than not is soccer kids get more interested in other sports.

Believe the last thing the world wants is a US that gives a **** about soccer.

The difference between now and the early 80s is night and day. Despite your anecdotal observations and media-fed editorials there is a massive difference between then and now.

Back then they decided the best way to build the house was start with the roof. Since before 1994, the development arm of US soccer has changed dramatically and actually worked on the foundation.

There was a linking up with the German federation to help develop the youth system. What has happened is the dramatic improvement in coaching at the grass roots level, a big increase in facilities (including funding), and the creation of higher level feeder leagues throughout the pyramid of play that push players towards the top (ie college ranks, A-League, Olympic Development Programs, various development leagues). Additionally, the training of the top youth players has followed the same plan that the top nations use. Take a look at the results of the international youth teams and you 'll see the dramatic improvement.

The number of American players in Europe continues to increase, and relative success internationally shows the improvement in the US game. This success didn't exist in the 80s but it does now. The US has been to every World Cup since 1990. England hasn't, and when they have been there, the US has had arguably more success.

I freely admit that the numbers playing the game at the youth level are somewhat irrelevant. Soccer is a great participatory sport because it's cheap and easy. But the popularity in watching the game has increased and will continue to improve with the ability to watch the international game (domestic leagues) with greater ease. This translates to more players who want to reach as high a level of play as possible, and with the sustainability of the MLS they now have somewhere to aim if they can't quite make it in the EPL, Italy, etc, etc.

Did you read the link provided by TT about the overall tv deal? They're also poised to sign a deal with Fox the extends beyond just MLS games. Sure, ESPN is spending less than they would if they were covering hockey, but don't fool yourselves. They didn't just pick the sport out of a hat and decided to go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad