phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Core control: Ranking the NHL's locked-in young talent

1. Edmonton
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis
4. Toronto
5. Winnipeg

Its a stupid list because the criteria is that the player has to be 27 and under AND signed for at least 3 years. So Matthews, Marner and Nylander don't count for us.

I don't think ESPN knows how NHL contracts work when they say;

Team rankings come in all shapes and forms. We analyzed the rosters of all 31 teams to determine which franchise is best suited for the future behind a locked-in young core.

How is that determined? Given the average age of NHL players to begin the 2017-18 season was a shade over 27, we considered only players who are 27 or younger.

The rankings also factored in length of contracts -- the longer the better for young talent -- and accounted only for players who are inked for at least the next three seasons. For example, the New Jersey Devilsmight look strong at first glance, but Taylor Hall and 2017 No. 1 overall pick Nico Hischierare both signed for just two more seasons, leaving a lot up in the air.

I'm not losing sleep over it because we all know we are 1, Winnipeg is 2 and McDavid is 3.

Reactions: bionic

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Core control: Ranking the NHL's locked-in young talent

1. Edmonton
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis
4. Toronto
5. Winnipeg

Its a stupid list because the criteria is that the player has to be 27 and under AND signed for at least 3 years. So Matthews, Marner and Nylander don't count for us.

I don't think ESPN knows how NHL contracts work when they say;

I'm not losing sleep over it because we all know we are 1, Winnipeg is 2 and McDavid is 3.

Hadn't realized overpaid Draisaitl is so awesome... :sarcasm:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Does 'locked-in' matter when you're talking about young cores?

They're all RFAs anyway so they may as well be locked in.

This idea just wasn't well thought out, IMO.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I got as far as them completely ignoring years of RFA control. :laugh: at Hischier not counting because hey he only has 2 years left on his ELC. I knew to expect stupid when I went into an ESPN article about hockey, but they even exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
What a stupid, arbitrary system. Tons and tons of top young players aren't being counted because they're still on their ELC's and thus don't have a 3 year term? They do realize that restricted free agency is a thing in this league right?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The only thing I take from this article... Tavares isn't that old. The fact he falls into the 'young talent' group just makes me giddy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s always a good idea to not use ESPN for sports information.
They have a nice baseball facility in Kissimmee, but that is about the extent of their usefulness.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
It should be 24 and under, and no matter what contract. Wonder how that would look like?/TOFTGI (to old fart to google it).

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Greg Wyshynski should be the only ESPN writer writing hockey stuff. He at least understands how player control and contracts work
Pretty much...anything from that website regarding hockey and or anything regarding the raptors (once in a bluemoon) makes me feel like this:
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad