ESPN is teh suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation

Jan 2, 2005
They wont be showing the final just becaues the us is not playing in it, shows their interest in hockey. At least tsn shows all the games, be it a day after, but atleast they do. ESPN is bs. And if it werent for the lockout, NHL Centre Ice wouldve shown all the games from tsn's broadcast, like last year, but no. Im so pissed.

I dont understand why espn just cant show it, surely they dont get higher ratings from their espn25 features, it looks like thats what's regularily on when no hockey is played. If they have it already planned to show it for a u.s win why cant they just show the final anyway? Such a piss off.

Last edited:

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
with all this discussion about sports stations and their sexuality I wonder if I have stepped into the Pollitical board...

speaking of which do you think TSN and ESPN are Gay by Choice? or where they founded that way?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They currently have classic boxing scheduled

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
this just shows how STUPID some American channels like ESPN are. I totally understand that to them its all about RATINGS and MONEY, it is a business no doubt. but I think a channel like ESPN needs to also think about its Future with the game of hockey. I mean, do they really think that viewers of ESPN will have much respect left for ESPN after this? Do they really think that when there is a hockey game on ESPN and the same game is also on MSG or CENTER ICE, that fans will go with ESPN? Hockey fans are a very LOYAL bunch...and when you dont show them loyalty, they wont show you loyalty. I personally feel ESPN is making a huge mistake for itself and its future...and the WJC sponsors should have made sure that this finals game is shown!

and by the way, anyone really thinking that BOXING CLASSICS will get more viewers than the WJC FINALS! i mean, do u people know how many Russians leave in the USA and watch hockey and this tourney??????? just those fans will be enough to win this ratings contest...so this is SILLY

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
Dang. I know of American's desire to watch their own team, and only their own team, so I was actually rooting for them to beat the Russkies yesterday. Even if the yanks won, I expected espn to focus only on their own players, so they would cut to commercial every time one of our guys touched the puck.

Now, it's Canada vs Russia, Crosby vs. Ovechkin and I will not find the final on that xenophobic network. I suppose they will find time for poker instead.

Can't wait until I move back to Canada next month. A country that recognizes that the sport is bigger than a single nation and would have broadcast the game even if it were a Japan/Costa Rica final.

Dang.

Ric Flair

Feb 27, 2002
Stylin and Profilin
www.surfrider.org
2forsbergaura1 said:
ESPN needs to also think about its Future with the game of hockey.

and by the way, anyone really thinking that BOXING CLASSICS will get more viewers than the WJC FINALS!

Nobody watched NHL hockey, why the hell would they watch the WJC. Even women's bowling gets higher ratings than hockey so there is no reason for them to show it.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Lets not forget ESPN and TSN are the same company. Or at least sister channels.

Oh great...first its sodomy, now its incest.

But seriously, as much as I hate to say it, the WJC drew absolutely no attention in the U.S. except for the diehards like us. Not once did I see any highlights on Sportscenter or hear anything about it on sports talk radio. Just look at the ratings, they've been horrible. The average American would rather watch women's college bowling or highlights of the Special Olympics than watch a hockey game, let alone a hockey game with a bunch of kids they never heard of, let alone a hockey game that doesn't include the U.S.. I say just be grateful ESPN was nice enough to show even the U.S. games, especially in a climate where hockey is slowly losing the little popularity it had in the first place due to the lockout. And as for Russians being interested in the tournament, yes I'm sure many are, but they really wouldnt make that much of a difference considering how small a percentage of the overall population they are.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
George Harrison said:
Nobody watched NHL hockey, why the hell would they watch the WJC. Even women's bowling gets higher ratings than hockey so there is no reason for them to show it.

Agreed on that point, but they were going to televise a US-Canada final, and the ratings for that were going to be just brutal.

The only Americans that would have watched that game are total diehard hockey fans. Those same fans however are also dying to watch a Canada-Russia final.

IMO the difference in ratings for a US-Canada final and a Canada-Russia final would have been miniscule.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
George Harrison said:
Exactly. That's what it boils down to. I'm grateful they showed any WJC games at all. I don't think they've done that before, have they?

If poker and women's bowling get higher ratings, I can't fault ESPN for not wanting to show those in lieu of hockey.

LeafsNation

Jan 2, 2005
I cant wait to get the hell out of the us and go back to toronto, even if Ill be leaving sun for snow, thats not enough to keep me here.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Rick Middleton said:
So both TSN and ESPN are gay? Hmn, a match made in heaven, perhaps. Time for those two to elope.

Damn, I gotta cancel my date with ESPN tonite then....I knew it was just for the sex..

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
It's about more than ratings, which would likely be abyssmal. It's about production costs. Commentators, production staff, cameramen, travel, hotels, per diems, equipment, etc. all cost a lot of money. ESPN decided, for purely financial reasons I suspect, that the cost of putting on the game would outweigh what they could for ad time in the space.
They very likely will get less ad revenue from boxing reruns, but what are the production costs of someone at their headquarters playing a tape? A heck of a lot less than a live hockey broadcast, I'd imagine.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
CarlRacki said:
It's about more than ratings, which would likely be abyssmal. It's about production costs. Commentators, production staff, cameramen, travel, hotels, per diems, equipment, etc. all cost a lot of money. ESPN decided, for purely financial reasons I suspect, that the cost of putting on the game would outweigh what they could for ad time in the space.
They very likely will get less ad revenue from boxing reruns, but what are the production costs of someone at their headquarters playing a tape? A heck of a lot less than a live hockey broadcast, I'd imagine.

This makes good sense; however, don't they own TSN? They're at least affiliated. It couldn't take much for them to use their footage.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
Agreed on that point, but they were going to televise a US-Canada final, and the ratings for that were going to be just brutal.

The only Americans that would have watched that game are total diehard hockey fans. Those same fans however are also dying to watch a Canada-Russia final.

IMO the difference in ratings for a US-Canada final and a Canada-Russia final would have been miniscule.
exactly. only the diehards would have watched the US/Canada game anyway. they might as well couldve thrown us a bone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad