ESPN Insider: Ruff's availability could prompt more firings

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
His firing in Buffalo is proof that nobody is untouchable and a slow start comes with consequences. So where should the head coach be nervous with Ruff now available?

Here are five options:

Winnipeg
Under the current tenure of Claude Noel, there have been rumblings in Winnipeg that the team is still struggling with establishing an identity since the franchise moved north from Atlanta. Bringing in a powerful voice like Ruff would immediately change that. After struggling on the road last year, the Jets have been surprisingly weak at home (3-5) in what was one of the toughest buildings to play in last season. Ruff is a good Western Canadian, which would play well in Winnipeg.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It would be a better option for him to go to either Colorado, Long Island, or Columbus. Buffalo Sabres fans have been calling for Ruff's firing for the past 5 years.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
His firing in Buffalo is proof that nobody is untouchable and a slow start comes with consequences. So where should the head coach be nervous with Ruff now available?

Here are five options:

Winnipeg
Under the current tenure of Claude Noel, there have been rumblings in Winnipeg that the team is still struggling with establishing an identity since the franchise moved north from Atlanta. Bringing in a powerful voice like Ruff would immediately change that. After struggling on the road last year, the Jets have been surprisingly weak at home (3-5) in what was one of the toughest buildings to play in last season. Ruff is a good Western Canadian, which would play well in Winnipeg.

Where are these rumblings coming from?
I have not heard nor read anything about it

If that chunk came from the ESPN article it is worth nothing to me.
ESPN knows nothing about hockey, and have proved it numerous times over the years

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I can't see Ruff sitting on the sidelines for very long. Having him available will most likely have some team firing their coach soon.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I would be stunned if TNSE jumped ship from Noel this early. Not going to happen, in my opinion.

fitzy0019

Oct 12, 2011
winnipeg
true north had a total of 4 or 5 coaches in moose history, only firing one. if there was any doubt that noel wasnt here long term, he wouldnt have been hired in the first place. until the team is a legit contender and loses, he wont be going anywhere. and this jets team is still a ways from being legit.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Don't see it happening, don't want it to happen either. Ruff rubs me the wrong way. He's a Ron Wilson, Torts type of coach.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No changes this year, imo, with the Jets. But I also don't subscribe to the idea Noel is here for the next decade because TNSE is loyal or they will follow the Predators lead on how they handled their coaching staff. Trotz led an expansion team to respectability but is now feeling some heat to get them over the top and deep into the playoffs. You can only go so long without playoff success.

I think Noel will be here for another year or 2, but if there are no playoff appearances by that time, his head will roll, imo.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I think management is and should be more worried about icing a better team - i.e. a full lineup of NHL caliber players - before firing someone they've worked with for a number of years now. I don't think they expected Noel to come in and instantly know what he was doing at the NHL level and not be given a chance to grow in to the role as the team progressed. This isn't a talent-rich team that's in disarray.

IMO you don't determine the firing of a coach by who is available unless of course you were only holding off due to a lack of a decent replacement (pretty much never the case). Nor do I think Ruff is some godly coach who would have done much more than Noel did over the last 1.5 years. If those were true, a few teams would have scrambled and fired their coach by now.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I hear alot of people talk on this board about how loyal True North is, and how thy are loyal to the people they hire....to a fault.

Loyalty...that's an interesting notion, lets talk about that shall we?

The only loyalty that this ownership group should be worried about is its loyalty to its fans. They have a duty and a responsibility to ice the best team that they. They have a responsibility to garner results for the fan base.

Maybe Im off base, but I EXPECT this team to make the playoffs; if not this year, then next. I EXPECT this team to win a Stanley Cup in the net few years...and I EXPECT this ownership group to do what is necessary to make that happen.

If they have to fire Pearn... **** just do it already. If Noel is working out. If they have to make some big trades and tough decisions. Fine. Do what you gotta do.

I, personally, will be up in arms if this is an ownership group that is unwilling to do that.

I've maintained my thought process from the beginning. They have 3-5years to make this team successful, and if they want to keep lining their pockets with cash...this team has to win. Plain and simple.

This Jets team does not have the luxury of putting together a bunch of losing seasons in a row.

They need to win.

So if Noel isn't getting it done...I'm not saying one way or tother, then he needs to go. Just because they hired the guy does not mean that they won't fire the guy if its not working.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs. I know it is. But sooner or later, having pro hockey back in the Peg won't be enough to get 90% of the population excited anymore. That loyalty just hasn't been grown yet.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I hear alot of people talk on this board about how loyal True North is, and how thy are loyal to the people they hire....to a fault.

Loyalty...that's an interesting notion, lets talk about that shall we?

The only loyalty that this ownership group should be worried about is its loyalty to its fans. They have a duty and a responsibility to ice the best team that they. They have a responsibility to garner results for the fan base.

Maybe Im off base, but I EXPECT this team to make the playoffs; if not this year, then next. I EXPECT this team to win a Stanley Cup in the net few years...and I EXPECT this ownership group to do what is necessary to make that happen.

If they have to fire Pearn... **** just do it already. If Noel is working out. If they have to make some big trades and tough decisions. Fine. Do what you gotta do.

I, personally, will be up in arms if this is an ownership group that is unwilling to do that.

I've maintained my thought process from the beginning. They have 3-5years to make this team successful, and if they want to keep lining their pockets with cash...this team has to win. Plain and simple.

This Jets team does not have the luxury of putting together a bunch of losing seasons in a row.

They need to win.

So if Noel isn't getting it done...I'm not saying one way or tother, then he needs to go. Just because they hired the guy does not mean that they won't fire the guy if its not working.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs. I know it is. But sooner or later, having pro hockey back in the Peg won't be enough to get 90% of the population excited anymore. That loyalty just hasn't been grown yet.

No team should be expected to win the cup.

A cup win requires a combination of elite talent and good fortune. TNSE may build a greay team, but I don't expect them to control chance.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
No team should be expected to win the cup.

A cup win requires a combination of elite talent and good fortune. TNSE may build a greay team, but I don't expect them to control chance.

Then why have the team?

You do not win the Stanley Cup by "luck". You win the cup with a combination of a well built team, skill, good coaching and all that.

They do control that. And Im sorry, but I expect them to do just that.

I'm unwilling to accept mediocrity, in any way shape or form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad