ESPN: Hockey Starting To Climb Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Although it didn't include NHL teams in its latest overall ranking of pro sports franchises(not enough data), ESPN did say that the league has started to climb out of the hole dug by the lockout, thanks in part to hockey fans' resilient passion for the sport. Time will tell, but, hey, when a fan in the East like myself stays up to watch most of a Thrashers-Sharks game(Jumbo Joe's home debut notwithstanding), and enjoys it, well..

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2249654

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I always thought the arguement that the NHL going on a lockout would hurt the fan support was stupid. The fact they don't have many and the ones they had are hardcore was somehwat of a non factor.

Predonater

Dec 3, 2005
Nashville
www.pbase.com
^ I agree. I think it was just doomsday talk by all the naysayers in the world of sports. I hope they enjoy the crow they are eating. Seems TV ratings are up for the most part and attendance is improving in many places, i.e. Nashville.

Jazz

The main thing is that with youth hockey exploding in different parts of the states (California and the south), I predict that we are within half a generation of hockey ratings making a big jump in the US, and hockey being more ingrained in American culture than it ever was before.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Zack Attack said:
The lockout actually has helped the league.
99.9% of people knew that, but they didn't think the league would come back this quickly.

Hell, most people here knew the lockout was a good thing, but I (along with others) was so ****ing bored with no hockey that I grew so upset..

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
jtuzzi said:
99.9% of people knew that, but they didn't think the league would come back this quickly.

Hell, most people here knew the lockout was a good thing, but I (along with others) was so ****ing bored with no hockey that I grew so upset..
With all of the college, USHL, UHL, and AHL hockey that I follow not having the NHL around for a year greatly reduced my internet time. Point being - there was plenty of good hockey to go aroound.

Tokyo Bucks

Jul 27, 2005
tokyo
Jazz said:
The main thing is that with youth hockey exploding in different parts of the states (California and the south), I predict that we are within half a generation of hockey ratings making a big jump in the US, and hockey being more ingrained in American culture than it ever was before.
Or maybe hockey will be like soccer, the largest participatory sport in the US, with a barely surviving pro league.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Tokyo Bucks said:
Or maybe hockey will be like soccer, the largest participatory sport in the US, with a barely surviving pro league.

i think the difference is that anybody can kick a soccer ball around, there is a much greater committment to being a hockey parent, and therefore, the passion should be engrained.

mooseOAK*

Jazz said:
That was the reason for putting hockey in non-traditional markets in the first place. For every hockey fan born in Canada, another one dies so the new fans have to come from somewhere.

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
Tokyo Bucks said:

Hockey is very different from soccer in that the equipment is expensive...

I don't think every family as the means to make their children play hockey...

puckhead103*

Jazz said:
are u dreaming?.......hockey will never be popular in the US....except on a niche type level....

the main sports will STILL be football, basketball....i don't know about baseball since the latinos are making more a push....and soccer is becoming to sport of choice in the US...

plus hockey is too expensive to play anyway.....

puckhead103*

jester099 said:
Hockey is very different from soccer in that the equipment is expensive...

I don't think every family as the means to make their children play hockey...
darn...u beat me to it....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Jazz said:
The main thing is that with youth hockey exploding in different parts of the states (California and the south)

What makes you say this? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

I remember back in the mid 90's when Roller Hockey was supposidly the "fastest growing sport in America" but that didn't seem to help the NHL very much.

Jazz

I.M. Fletcher said:
i think the difference is that anybody can kick a soccer ball around, there is a much greater committment to being a hockey parent, and therefore, the passion should be engrained.
That plus hockey is still somewhat mainstream (albeit on the fringe). Soccer is working from the ground up (ie, a lower position than hockey).

weezman

johnjm22 said:
What makes you say this? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

I remember back in the mid 90's when Roller Hockey was supposidly the "fastest growing sport in America" but that didn't seem to help the NHL very much.

Check the state-by-state USA Hockey memberships by year. The numbers have gone up.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
In basketball & football you have to have the size to be succesfull (with some exceptions of course).

In hockey you can be succesful no matter how tall & big you are (thouhg being bigger helps).

Old Hickory

Jazz said:
I am glad somebody sees it

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

puckhead103*

Pepper said:
In basketball & football you have to have the size to be succesfull (with some exceptions of course).

In hockey you can be succesful no matter how tall & big you are (thouhg being bigger helps).
um...size is becoming to much more important in hockey today more than ever before.......

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Dan Galvin said:
Yes hockey is a little more expensive,but I can't see it being more expensive or that much more than football. It just needs to be set up properly.

I would guess it is significantly more expensive. In addition to equipment you have to rent ice, etc.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
puckhead103 said:
are u dreaming?.......hockey will never be popular in the US....except on a niche type level....

the main sports will STILL be football, basketball....i don't know about baseball since the latinos are making more a push....and soccer is becoming to sport of choice in the US...

plus hockey is too expensive to play anyway.....

The main sport is football and Baseball! Basketball is not all THAT popular. The attendance is similar to the NHL and their ratings went down big time last year for the final. Must have been because the Lakers were not in it.

The NHL is definitely picking up SOME steam.. where as before there was hardly anything.

Anyone who says Basketball is ahead of America's national past time doesn't know what they are talking about so just ignore them.

This year's world series drew an all time low of 12 million people. Yeah, the NBA only wished it had that many viewers.

BTW: Jazz you are right because even in houston there is a lot of youth hockey here. Don't listen to the ignorant people because the US has a bright future in hockey then its ever had before. Just look at the world junior team, which is the favourites of this years tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad