ESPN eschewing NHL news? [Philly.com blog]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://articles.philly.com/2011-06-02/sports/29613441_1_nhl-revenue-sportscenter-hockey-cities

Atlanta sold and relocates to Winnipeg -- doesn't even make the ESPN SportsCenter Ticker, much less a story.

If you look at the four major leagues, look at them in terms of annual revenue generated, you get this kind of a rough breakdown:

NFL, $9 billion.

MLB, $7 billion.

NBA, $4 billion.

NHL, $3 billion.

That the NHL knows that is clear. That the NHL has decided to live with it is also clear. When its recent television deal was announced, the whole package went to NBC/Comcast/Versus. Rather than carve out something to get back into the ESPN family, the league stuck with a deal that has, without question, better served its existing customers than ESPN ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was passing through Minneapolis on Tuesday at about 2 pm, Sportscenter was on ESPN and the announcement was FOR SURE on the ticker about to be talked about. So I am not sure what this is reffering to to be honest. Although the bartender would not let us stay until the annoucement actually appeared on Sportscenter so it was possible that it switched away before they talked about the relocation, idk.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
While they didn't show the announcement, it was absolutely on their ticker.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Not true, I hate ESPN as much as the next hockey fan (kidding!), but the day it went down they had it promininently displayed on their ticker, and it was number three or thereabouts on their lead stories. Plus PTI gave the story some billing, too, probably number 5 on their list.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
They did mention it. However, about the only thing they've been talking about is the move and the Burrows bite.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Frankly, this isn't even the kind of thing ESPN gives heavy coverage to, anyway. It's not like they treated the Sonics or Hornets moves this past decade with any more coverage than this, SportsCenter is generally not in the business of covering, well, business. Shows like PTI and ATH have more leeway to discuss whatever, but the general truth is that ESPN has little use for news that doesn't affect what's happening on the field.

For example, the Vikings seem to have finally resolved their decade long stadium fight likely ensuring the team's survival in Minnesota. This was probably the biggest actual NFL story in the past month, and yet it's gotten precious little coverage on the ticker and on SportsCenter. Why? Because it's the Entertainment Sports Programming Network and not the Business Sports Programming Network.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
There was a story all day tues and wed on ESPN's "top stories" bar on ESPN.Com.

I checked this both on a Canadian internet connection (home) and a USA connection (work).

I don't really know how proxy's work but I do believe ESPN recognizes where your from and crafts the website to your location. Could be wrong on that..

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I was watching the announcement live on my computer with ESPN on my TV and I didn't see ESPN mention it at all let alone put it on their ticker. I was specifically looking for it, too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was there. Sometimes you have to wait forever for these things though. Depends when you looked, because I didn't see it on there until either right before the announcement, but it was for sure there afterward.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
More than 20% of NHL revenue comes from Canada. It's about a third, is it not?

I removed that blurb before it becomes gospel. He even mentions in that line that he's basically guessing, probably the number of teams Canada represents. Really bad, from a writing perspective.

this is total back-of-the-envelope guesstimation

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Not true, I hate ESPN as much as the next hockey fan (kidding!), but the day it went down they had it promininently displayed on their ticker, and it was number three or thereabouts on their lead stories. Plus PTI gave the story some billing, too, probably number 5 on their list.

Seems several members did see the story aired, so let's shut this down as a writer having a bad hair day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad