ESPN *Did* Report Deal Was Done... Now Softened

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Well, for the sake of argument, "deal in principle" could have changed technically due to smaller, trigger elements of the deal it may hinge upon.

"deal is imminent" suggests that a deal is all but certain, and how is that any different than what we thought earlier?

still, I'll wait for later today.

rwilson99

Jaded-Fan said:
I started out on the hockey forum. I only drifted over to politics when you all nominated a communist to be your standard bearer . . . ;)

and silly me.. I started reading the politcial boards thinking it was a conservative friendly place.

The things you do during an election year with no hockey.

ResidentAlien*

new source reported by Dan Rusell on cknw.com radio, trinaing camp will start the 28th

IkeaMonkey*

ResidentAlien said:
new source reported by Dan Rusell on cknw.com radio, trinaing camp will start the 28th

Someone please confirm this. Link? Anyone else hear this??

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ResidentAlien said:

I'm listening while I'm working on something, I only heard mention of the season starting March 5th. But it sounded like these guys were speculating.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Posted this in the other thread but here is some info from the LA TIMES:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=2&cset=true

Linden and Gartner met secretly with Bettman on Thursday, a union source said, where they discussed ways to reach a deal.

That led to a proposal for a salary cap of $45 million to $46 million, plus a luxury tax of 40 cents on every dollar of salary above $40 million, to encourage teams to curb spending.

The terms can be "tweaked" but not significantly altered, the source said, adding: "They have a framework that they are prepared to go with."

Bob Goodenow, the union's executive director, was not expected to take part in the talks. Well-placed sources said Goodenow told the union's executive committee that he could not recommend such a deal, or any deal like it, and that if the committee wanted to make that deal, it would have to do so on it own.

The players' executive committee — Daniel Alfredsson, Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Guerin, Arturs Irbe and Trent Klatt — decided to do just that.

"Something needed to be done," said Steve Rucchin, the Mighty Ducks' union representative, who was not involved in the committee's decision. "I guess there wasn't total closure even after the season was canceled. Things were happening. I'm not surprised at all."

Sources said training camps could be open by Feb. 28, with a 28-game season to begin about a week later.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My reading is that there is a bit of truth in what all of you say.

I believe that the players and owners have come to a framework on a deal - but only in the broadest sense. The number for the cap, when the tax will take effect. But that's it. Who counts towards the cap? How do minor league players fit it - do they count towards the cap? Is it only NHL players on the active roster? If they don't count, what happens if a $400,000 player gets injured and they want to bring up a minor league player with a 2 way that pays $500,000 to take his place? Do they have to send yet another player down to get below the cap? Does it count throughout the season or on a specific date? Trades at the deadline, does the entire salary count or the portion that the new team pays? Lots of questions. Lots of details to get worked out in a weekend.

That doesn't even get into working conditions, pensions. The other stuff that they claim hasn't even been discussed.

That being said, the quote from the unnamed player is accurate. Now that they have solved the big number issues, no one is going to kill this thing over a UFA age of 30 vs. 31. This thing is going to be solved. I don't know if it will happen in a hour or a week; but they will get this solved.

Oh, and by the way, getting a deal is 90 - 10. Playing this season is 60 - 40.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I believe that the players and owners have come to a framework on a deal - but only in the broadest sense. The number for the cap, when the tax will take effect. But that's it. Who counts towards the cap? How do minor league players fit it - do they count towards the cap? Is it only NHL players on the active roster? If they don't count, what happens if a $400,000 player gets injured and they want to bring up a minor league player with a 2 way that pays $500,000 to take his place? Do they have to send yet another player down to get below the cap? Does it count throughout the season or on a specific date? Trades at the deadline, does the entire salary count or the portion that the new team pays? Lots of questions. Lots of details to get worked out in a weekend.

I don't think you understand what a deal in principle is. They have agreed to a basic framework for a deal, and they'll spend the next two weeks writing it. Little things like that will probably take place in the middle of training camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad