UPDATED 5/25 -Wayne Gretzky joining TNT’s NHL coverage after leaving Oilers post

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Is he still part of the Oilers? Would it be a bit of a conflict? Not that ESPN cares based on their baseball roster.

Based on their football MO, it seems a recently retired star is a better choice than one who is good at his job but has been retired for 15 years. It's a pathetic reflection of the NHL that, as a poster said about, Gretzky is still the most recognized name in the US.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Can't wait to hear him praise some 4th line as better than him. Can we please find NHL greats as interesting as Shaq and Barkley.

Unfortunately, majority of players are terrible on camera. PK Subban seems to be the only one that is interesting on air and has a promising career after hanging up the skates.

Reactions: DuckyGirard

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Is he still part of the Oilers? Would it be a bit of a conflict? Not that ESPN cares based on their baseball roster.

Based on their football MO, it seems a recently retired star is a better choice than one who is good at his job but has been retired for 15 years. It's a pathetic reflection of the NHL that, as a poster said about, Gretzky is still the most recognized name in the US.

Conflicts of interest have never stopped ESPN from hiring an analyst. See: A-Rod, Jessica Mendoza, their entire Tennis team...

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I always find him to be boring as hell.

In fairness he's been in a no-win situation his whole life in terms of personality. The "tall poppy syndrome" in Canada required him to be even more humble and down the middle than even hockey culture does, because while people loved him, they were also ready to pounce on any slip up. Look at the response when he got married. To an American!

The man was the most sought after endorser, and he wanted to protect that, understandably. Rick Reilly talks about how they kept having to edit out stuff from the book, because while it made for great reading, he couldn't have that in there and have his image tarnished. The only time he has really taken a stand was in the 2002 Olympics.

Had he been an American he could have gotten away with being more outspoken, and whatnot. But he's not, and unfortunately, the same people who say they want to see more opinions/personality/etc., are the same people who will jump on him when he says something they don't like. So, why bother?

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Unfortunately, majority of players are terrible on camera. PK Subban seems to be the only one that is interesting on air and has a promising career after hanging up the skates.
PK is perfect for a "First Take" like shows,

I always find him to be boring as hell.

Yeah agreed - he really needs to bring it from an analtical side definitely not personality.

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I can't really see Gretzky wanting to commit himself to the regular grind that would go along with being a regular on-air personality.

That being said - you don't normally conduct hirings via news reports and social media. This smells more like ESPN wanting to get some coverage about it's new NHL contract.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I can't really see Gretzky wanting to commit himself to the regular grind that would go along with being a regular on-air personality.

That being said - you don't normally conduct hirings via news reports and social media. This smells more like ESPN wanting to get some coverage about it's new NHL contract.

This may be the best post on this subject. Hadn't even considered the last part.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
In fairness he's been in a no-win situation his whole life in terms of personality. The "tall poppy syndrome" in Canada required him to be even more humble and down the middle than even hockey culture does, because while people loved him, they were also ready to pounce on any slip up. Look at the response when he got married. To an American!

The man was the most sought after endorser, and he wanted to protect that, understandably. Rick Reilly talks about how they kept having to edit out stuff from the book, because while it made for great reading, he couldn't have that in there and have his image tarnished. The only time he has really taken a stand was in the 2002 Olympics.

Had he been an American he could have gotten away with being more outspoken, and whatnot. But he's not, and unfortunately, the same people who say they want to see more opinions/personality/etc., are the same people who will jump on him when he says something they don't like. So, why bother?
I watched this Gretzky doc a few years ago, I can't remember now how I accessed it but there was one great scene that stuck out.

He was like a teen, long blonde hair, probably was his 1st year as an Oiler, and boy he had a mouth on him. He was cussing, he was arrogant, it was so awesome to see because my whole life I've seen him be so humble and really play down everything he does.

But there was one moment, before he made the BIGTIME, where he knew he was great and he didn't mind at all letting ppl know how great he was.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I watched this Gretzky doc a few years ago, I can't remember now how I accessed it but there was one great scene that stuck out.

He was like a teen, long blonde hair, probably was his 1st year as an Oiler, and boy he had a mouth on him. He was cussing, he was arrogant, it was so awesome to see because my whole life I've seen him be so humble and really play down everything he does.

But there was one moment, before he made the BIGTIME, where he knew he was great and he didn't mind at all letting ppl know how great he was.

I'd love to see this! I'd love to see Wayne join one of these companies and do a NWO like heel turn.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Why would he want this? No indication he has any kind of talent and even if he did, anything he says is going to immediately go under the microscope because he's Wayne Gretzky.

He hasn't shown great instincts in his post playing career, from the fiasco in Phoenix to his much criticized endorsement of the Conservatives in the 2015 election.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007

I would like to see it as well. Was this one the ice? I'll give him a pass there if it was on ice. Trash talk is fine. And from a kid. I always say when I was 17 my dad was an idiot and I was the smartest person on the planet. Decades later, I've learned it was pretty much the opposite.

I have to say given how good he is, it's amazing how much he isn't like in that doc. He could easily be a lot more arrogant and ...it ain't bragging if you can do it.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I would like to see it as well. Was this one the ice? I'll give him a pass there if it was on ice. Trash talk is fine. And from a kid. I always say when I was 17 my dad was an idiot and I was the smartest person on the planet. Decades later, I've learned it was pretty much the opposite.

I have to say given how good he is, it's amazing how much he isn't like in that doc. He could easily be a lot more arrogant and ...it ain't bragging if you can do it.
It was in the locker room. He just completed some crazy accomplishment as a teen and was boasting. Apparently media were giving him hard time before he played saying he wouldn't do much or something he then went and put like 5 points in game and made everyone his bitch. Understandably he was feeling himself so he got a bit cocky.

I was on the floor laughing bc like I said I never knew he had that in him. My older bro who was seeing my reaction to this for the first time was laughing because he rmbr seeing that live when it actually happened.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
It was in the locker room. He just completed some crazy accomplishment as a teen and was boasting. Apparently media were giving him hard time before he played saying he wouldn't do much or something he then went and put like 5 points in game and made everyone his bitch. Understandably he was feeling himself so he got a bit cocky.

I was on the floor laughing bc like I said I never knew he had that in him. My older bro who was seeing my reaction to this for the first time was laughing because he rmbr seeing that live when it actually happened.

I think I know what you are talking about now. He says something like "tell those blankety-blanks the league isn't too tough for the kid yet." They talked about that in the SportsCentury piece on him.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->