ESPN.com: Did reluctance for Luongo trade cost Burke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Not doing something that can't even be done yet doesn't seem like a reason to fire someone.

Now the 2011 draft, that's a pretty good reason to fire Burke if you were to ask some people.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Burke was fired because he had full autonomy and the new owners didn't like that. If it was anything job related they wouldn't have hired his assistant GM.

I think you've nailed it. When Burke came in to replace JFJ/Fletcher he had every right to demand no interference. However I think the MLSE board perhaps thinks it might be time for a guy who's less of a flashpoint now.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Don't you shoot yourself in the foot then by firing Burke? It gives greater leverage to Gillis who now thinks the Leafs will pay anything for Luongo since they went out and fired a guy who wouldn't trade for him.

The sheer stupidity of today is just astronomical.

I can't believe how many fans and media personal are buying into the garbage of how Burke not pulling off a Luongo trade got his ass fired. The price is too high to mortgage our future on a win-now approach. Look where it got us last time we tried something like that (ie. Rask for Raycroft, Kessel for 2 1st and a 2nd (I still support Kessel but not for the cost we paid)).

If the conspiracy theories are anywhere near to correct I am giving up on this franchise until an owner with a brain shows up.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The opposite of what he says.He was about to give up too much to save his job and he was dealing with business men who now knew Luongo had a negative value.The question is how many picks will Gillis have to pay to unload Luongo now that there is no market.After the Kessel trade the board had seen enough and was also tired of his Im the center of the universe apporach.I wonder if Burke will still attend stupid parades and draw attention to himself and his own causes,now that no one cares.

I said from the get go the Kessel trade sucked,take heed Mr Nonnis,it cost him his job.Let me spell it out for you,if you overpay for Luongo,you will be toast.Mr Gillis has the problem,not you.

Kurvers for Nidermayer,Courtnall for Kordic,Rask for Raysoft,Clark for Luongo,Kessel for way too much......:sarcasm:

On the contrary, lot of people care about LGBTQ rights. It's a sad day when the Gay Pride Parade is called "stupid." Wow :shakehead

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No.

Can't be because he was fired during a time when he could not even make a trade offer.

This has been coming on for months, and with the CBA signed, there was no reason to continue the charade.

Done like dinner.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I highly highly doubt it. I do think they wanted a guy with less ego and whatnot since major companies now own the team

Which is apparently not what they wanted at the beginning or during the lockout?

DaveT83*

The timing of the Firing is what I find most curious:

Why would you pull someone off of a flight and fire them - because they didn't want to trade for a player? That makes zero sense - the NEW OWNERSHIP would be seen as MEDDLING. Thats an image they certainly do not want to portray. It would also look like a KNEE JERK reaction over something that honestly happens almost every day in the NHL - a GM doesn't make a trade for player X.

So it makes a lot more sense that Brian Burke - with his powers as GM and President was preparing to make a move that SCARED the BOG's to death. So much so that they met and agreed he had to be removed IMMEDIATELY.

All evidence points to him packaging a deal for Luongo that would have included any of the following: Gardner/Kadri/2013 1st Rounder

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Oh god Burke wasn't fired because he did or didn't want Luongo.

This is soooooo stupid it hurts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Why would you pull someone off of a flight and fire them - because they didn't want to trade for a player? That makes zero sense - the NEW OWNERSHIP would be seen as MEDDLING. Thats an image they certainly do not want to portray. It would also look like a KNEE JERK reaction over something that honestly happens almost every day in the NHL - a GM doesn't make a trade for player X.

So it makes a lot more sense that Brian Burke - with his powers as GM and President was preparing to make a move that SCARED the BOG's to death. So much so that they met and agreed he had to be removed IMMEDIATELY.

All evidence points to him packaging a deal for Luongo that would have included any of the following: Gardner/Kadri/2013 1st Rounder

That could not happen until Sunday at the earliest.

I think they did not do it while there was the lock-out because Bettman needed allies during his battle, and from the CBA it looks like Burke was heavily involved.

They probably didn't want him there for the signing, but I'm not sure there was a good time between this morning and Saturday.

Could there have been some vindictiveness involved? Someone on the board did not want him to have a photo op at the ratification?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I think they did not do it while there was the lock-out because Bettman needed allies during his battle, and from the CBA it looks like Burke was heavily involved.

Nonis could have been a decent "yes-man" to back Gary up, he could have gotten some more practice for his current role.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
How about this scenario: Burke noticed that there was very little time left on his contract and wanted either 1. a new contract or 2. a world-class goaltender (even if he was on the way down and had a horrid contract). If he got 1 then #2 wouldn't happen but if not 1, then give up prospects to get 2 so the Leafs would make playoffs and make 1 inevitable. BOD says no to both-words were said and crisis ensued.

hockeyfanz*

That could not happen until Sunday at the earliest.

They probably didn't want him there for the signing, but I'm not sure there was a good time between this morning and Saturday.

Could there have been some vindictiveness involved? Someone on the board did not want him to have a photo op at the ratification?

I cant see how anybody can dismiss any theory. Nobody knows what goes on behind those closed doors. Is it so hard to believe that the fathead rubbed people the wrong way? Are you kidding me?

But my honest opinion is that this media conglomorate does not want a hothead spouting off at the media (who they own)...put up with his personal beliefs above whats best for the organization (in the owners eyes).....IE...his refusal to sign high end FA because of "cap circumvention" etc...they probably have visions of bringing superstars to Toronto so that they can showcase them on their networks....You know guys like Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Ilya Kovalchuk, Zac Parise, Gary Suter, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter ...all of which were moved in Burke's reign and none of which were in his reach for whatever reason.

Im pretty sure Rogers/Bell didn't buy into one of the most profitable sports franchises in North America so they could televise a 26th place team with Tyler Bozak as their center and James Reimer as their number one goalie after four years at the helm.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

or the exact opposite? He wanted to drop the trade, mixed with his personality clashing with new ownership.

I dotn think luongo had a huge part with this, I think Luongo was the tipping point(he didnt want to pay the price MLSE wanted to give).

I really dont know, it's confusing.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
all these conspiracy theories to defend a GM who hasn't come close to the playoffs. How are we any worse off? Seriously.

Bingo. I don't get it either except to offer the suggestion that it's just whining because their man was canned.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto

I hope that's true.

Avec Fromage*

Bingo. I don't get it either except to offer the suggestion that it's just whining because their man was canned.

This is incorrect. It's the manner in which he was fired that is unsettling. Making a business decision because of personal reasons is stupid. And that's what happened here today. Burke wasn't fired for how his team performed - if that was the case, he would have been fired on April 7th, 2012 - he was fired for his "style."

Letting someone represent the team throughout the entirety of the lockout with the false pretense that he would manage the team for the upcoming season, only to fire him three days after the announcement of a new CBA... it's simply disgusting. You can see it all over Nonis' face during the press conference. Now the team is in a complete disarray. Leaf Nation should have its focus on the season, not this mess.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Assuming Burke was fired because he DIDN'T want Luongo.

I personally think he was fired, because he was willing to give up too much to get him.

It doesn't make sense to me that the owners of the Leafs would fire Burke for thinking long-term, instead of offering the farm for Luongo.

I think Burke was willing to make a last-ditch effort to save his job and have his contract extended, and that once the higher-ups saw that he was putting himself ahead of the team, he was let go.

Luongo may not necessarily bring more revenue to the franchise, so I doubt the owners would make such a tremendous push for him if Burke was against adding him.

Am I crazy?

On Sportsnet Bryan Lawton said that Burke said to him personaly when Lawton was GM:"don't make any moves to save your job". Burke is not the type to go back on his word.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
This is incorrect. It's the manner in which he was fired that is unsettling. Making a business decision because of personal reasons is stupid. And that's what happened here today. Burke wasn't fired for how his team performed - if that was the case, he would have been fired on April 7th, 2012 - he was fired for his "style."

Letting someone represent the team throughout the entirety of the lockout with the false pretense that he would manage the team for the upcoming season, only to fire him three days after the announcement of a new CBA... it's simply disgusting. You can see it all over Nonis' face during the press conference. Now the team is in a complete disarray. Leaf Nation should have its focus on the season, not this mess.

Actually, the team is in exactly the same state as it was the day before Burke was fired.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I can't believe how many fans and media personal are buying into the garbage of how Burke not pulling off a Luongo trade got his ass fired. The price is too high to mortgage our future on a win-now approach. Look where it got us last time we tried something like that (ie. Rask for Raycroft, Kessel for 2 1st and a 2nd (I still support Kessel but not for the cost we paid)).

If the conspiracy theories are anywhere near to correct I am giving up on this franchise until an owner with a brain shows up.

1. They say they fired him because of his attitude/demeanour: But his demeanour was known 6 months ago when they could have fired him (and apparently discussed doing so, but decided not to).

2. They could say they fired him because of his record: But they hired someone who was directly involved in the accumulation of his record.

3. According to Anselmi on the Fan 590, they (the board) wanted to hold interviews for the job but he had to tell them that the time was not conducive for a search since the team needed to play next week and needed someone in place now.

All of that screams to some type of incident taking place which caused this to occur.

You might argue it wasn't the Luongo issue. You might be right or wrong, but some of his friends have said it was the issue. Either way, something must have happened.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don't you shoot yourself in the foot then by firing Burke? It gives greater leverage to Gillis who now thinks the Leafs will pay anything for Luongo since they went out and fired a guy who wouldn't trade for him.

The sheer stupidity of today is just astronomical.

That's my thinking as well, it makes it harder for the Leafs to land Luongo. Gillis must be laughing his butts off. They'll have to overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad