ESPN.com: Did reluctance for Luongo trade cost Burke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21244/did-luongo-reluctance-cost-burke-his-job

The conspiracy theories will abound about Brian Burke’s GM firing Wednesday, but I believe there were a number of factors involved, not just one crystal-clear reason.

And despite the denial from Toronto Maple Leafs COO and president Tom Anselmi, I believe the last straw was Burke’s reluctance to trade for star Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo.

That’s a sentiment shared by several NHL team execs we talked to Wednesday, who believe the rest of the Leafs' front office is pro-Luongo, but Burke wasn’t sold on him.

(On a side note, expect trade talks between the Leafs and Canucks to heat up big time now that Dave Nonis is GM. Nonis acquired Luongo during his days as Vancouver's GM and has always been high on him.)

The decision by the MLSE board of directors, however, to make a change was in the works before Wednesday -- perhaps in the works going back weeks.

After all, as everyone tries to uncover the conspiracy, sometimes one can’t see the forest for the trees.

Fact is, this is a team that’s been mediocre in the four-plus years Burke has been at the helm, failing to make the playoffs once, although it showed promising signs last season in holding a playoff spot until crumbling late.

Since Burke’s hiring as GM on Nov. 29, 2008, Toronto went 129-135-42, tied for 26th among the 30 NHL teams during that stretch. Also during that stretch, the Leafs ranked 30th in goals-against per game and 30th on the penalty kill.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I highly highly doubt it. I do think they wanted a guy with less ego and whatnot since major companies now own the team

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
was it the main reason?, no chance
was it a part of it?, absolutely

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Don't you shoot yourself in the foot then by firing Burke? It gives greater leverage to Gillis who now thinks the Leafs will pay anything for Luongo since they went out and fired a guy who wouldn't trade for him.

The sheer stupidity of today is just astronomical.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Don't you shoot yourself in the foot then by firing Burke? It gives greater leverage to Gillis who now thinks the Leafs will pay anything for Luongo since they went out and fired a guy who wouldn't trade for him.

The sheer stupidity of today is just astronomical.

Assuming Burke was fired because he DIDN'T want Luongo.

I personally think he was fired, because he was willing to give up too much to get him.

It doesn't make sense to me that the owners of the Leafs would fire Burke for thinking long-term, instead of offering the farm for Luongo.

I think Burke was willing to make a last-ditch effort to save his job and have his contract extended, and that once the higher-ups saw that he was putting himself ahead of the team, he was let go.

Luongo may not necessarily bring more revenue to the franchise, so I doubt the owners would make such a tremendous push for him if Burke was against adding him.

Am I crazy?

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past

I personally think he was fired, because he was willing to give up too much to get him.

It doesn't make sense to me that the owners of the Leafs would fire Burke for thinking long-term, instead of offering the farm for Luongo.

I think Burke was willing to make a last-ditch effort to save his job and have his contract extended, and that once the higher-ups saw that he was putting himself ahead of the team, he was let go.

Luongo may not necessarily bring more revenue to the franchise, so I doubt the owners would make such a tremendous push for him if Burke was against adding him.

Am I crazy?

Best theory going! +1

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Burke was fired because he had full autonomy and the new owners didn't like that. If it was anything job related they wouldn't have hired his assistant GM.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Am I crazy?

Yes.

Burke said multiple times that he would not set the organization back to get better this year, even if it meant being fired.

It's very far-fetched to assume that a bunch of people in suits know what the value of Kadri or Gardiner is. Hell, I doubt many people on the board of directors even know who they are.

They just want a flashy star name like Luongo to promote games and increase ratings on Rogers/Bell.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Am I crazy?
Is it possible that in the end Burke didn't like the term left on Luongo's contract and it wasn't giving up Bozak and Kadri. He said multiple times he hated the type of contract Luongo had and maybe it was his principal that got in his way of making the trade.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Remember Burke speak means...

The opposite of what he says.He was about to give up too much to save his job and he was dealing with business men who now knew Luongo had a negative value.The question is how many picks will Gillis have to pay to unload Luongo now that there is no market.After the Kessel trade the board had seen enough and was also tired of his Im the center of the universe apporach.I wonder if Burke will still attend stupid parades and draw attention to himself and his own causes,now that no one cares.

I said from the get go the Kessel trade sucked,take heed Mr Nonnis,it cost him his job.Let me spell it out for you,if you overpay for Luongo,you will be toast.Mr Gillis has the problem,not you.

Kurvers for Nidermayer,Courtnall for Kordic,Rask for Raysoft,Clark for Luongo,Kessel for way too much......:sarcasm:

Crabovski*

If Cory Schneider didn't have his breakout year, Burke would still have his job. Today atleast. Cant say about after the shortened season.

iopioppoi

Jun 11, 2010
I wonder if Burke will still attend stupid parades and draw attention to himself and his own causes,now that no one cares.

You Mean the Gay Pride parade? The one he promised his dead gay son he would attend? That's not relevant I don't think.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Am I crazy?

Given that throughout his tenure he has refused to trade any of his higher end prospects or young guys for vet solutions (the only one was Schenn where he actually moved up from 5th to 2nd overall and even still, that wasn't a vet solution), yes, I'd say your theory is crazy. It flies directly in the face of everything he's done whereas being reluctant to trade those pieces is directly in keeping with what he did since day one.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
They fired him because they knew Nonis could do exactly the same job without any of the ********, and probably for less money.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The opposite of what he says.He was about to give up too much to save his job and he was dealing with business men who now knew Luongo had a negative value.The question is how many picks will Gillis have to pay to unload Luongo now that there is no market.After the Kessel trade the board had seen enough and was also tired of his Im the center of the universe apporach.I wonder if Burke will still attend stupid parades and draw attention to himself and his own causes,now that no one cares.

I said from the get go the Kessel trade sucked,take heed Mr Nonnis,it cost him his job.Let me spell it out for you,if you overpay for Luongo,you will be toast.Mr Gillis has the problem,not you.

Kurvers for Nidermayer,Courtnall for Kordic,Rask for Raysoft,Clark for Luongo,Kessel for way too much......:sarcasm:

You'd think at some point we'd hit the bottom but some people just keep digging...

:shakehead

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Wasn't it shortly after his Don Cherry feud, that he suddenly became a mute?

The Don Cherry fiasco, in my opinion, really was a black cloud, and was both egotistical and childish. Burke seemingly burns a lot of bridges because of his big ego. Which in my opinion is poor business.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
What makes them think Luongo would be? Sure he's an amazing goalie, but if the rest of team is still mediocre...wouldn't he sell only as much as Kessel or Phaneuf would?

Team Canada goaltender...that`s fairly marketable. Plus he can speak into a microphone unlike the other two. More importantly, there`s a belief being shouted out to the casual fan from every major media outlet that says Luongo = playoffs. Meaning, more games to sell, more ratings and ad revenue, etc.

Whether you hate Burke`s guts or not, having random business people make hockey decisions just because they`re from Toronto and think they know hockey is a dangerous precedent for this team.

It`s almost like Richard Peddie and the Teacher`s tried to do that for a while (with JFJ), saw it wouldn`t work...went out and hired an experienced GM and gave him free reign.

Now it`s a new ownership group and they want to try that whole process again from the start. We`ve just hit the restart button, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad