ESPN at it again...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
http://espn.go.com/

Go on their site and look where they placed the "NHL" tab behind friggen IRL racing. Go look down the list of their columns and features and they have NHL behind Womens basketball and fantasy sports.

Nothing on their video highlights in the main page. It's getting worse my friends. :shakehead

One Day A Lion

http://espn.go.com/

Go on their site and look where they placed the "NHL" tab behind friggen IRL racing. Go look down the list of their columns and features and they have NHL behind Womens basketball and fantasy sports.

Nothing on their video highlights in the main page. It's getting worse my friends. :shakehead

I noticed that too.

The day after Evgeni Malkin scored the 2 goals in 1 game to have 7 goals in his first 6 games, ESPN mentioned it at the beginning of SportsCenter so I was like "wow they'll talk about hockey!"
When they got to the Malkin story, they showed some clips of his previous goals, said he scored 2 goals including an OT game winner and that he's the first player to do what he did in so long and that was pretty much it...no mention of anything else that happened in what was otherwise still a pretty damn good game. It was all over in two minutes. Needless to say, SportsCenter then went on to discuss the NFL games that had ended a few days before and discuss the NFL games that hadn't even happened yet for maybe an hour total.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
So what? Who goes to ESPN to read about hockey anyway? Or IRL racing for that matter? The only real news they have revolves around Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball League and men's NCAA football and basketball. Add tennis and golf, but only the major events (or if Tiger is prominently involved). Go ahead and check the front page headlines each day and see what percentage of their news is devoted to those five competitions.

I've written their ombudsman, George Solomon, about it. Eager to see if he addresses the issue.

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
I don't think we should read to much into the front page. If you notice, we are before the college sports, which I think would rank right behind NFL and MLB in the minds of ESPN. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason for the order of the cover page.

Jazz

John Buccigross (sp?) once mentioned on the radio that the order of tabs is a floating order, meaning that it is determined by the number of hits from the main (ie homepage) site within a given time period (I think the last 24 hrs).

This was a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure if it is still the case.

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
I go to TSN.ca, NHL.com or yahoo sports for coverage. Why should we care about the exact ordering ESPN chooses?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
:lol:

To tell the truth ESPN's hockey stuff on their site isn't all too bad they just need more TV coverage.

QFT.

I'm all about TSN, but I'd love a real American perspective on Hockey.. and I can't go anywhere to do that.

ESPN isn't bad, Bucci knows his stuff... they just get no time

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
Their fantasy updates are pretty good. Otherwise, I just watch FSN's FInal Score for short highlights, and since I don't want short highlights, I log on to yahoo or TSN or NHL.

The internet helps us hockey fans a lot more than any other sport.

weezman

Bucci knows his stuff...

... if knowing your stuff means gushing about contraction, and singing the praises of New England teams then yeah he knows his stuff.

Personally, between reading about bands, the Hartford Whalers, and his intense desire to be taken seriously in the hockey world, I don't think he knows much of anything.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Seriously, I go to Versus' NHL page before I head to ESPN. They have some pretty good exclusive web content on video.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
CNN, an american news channel, was showing clips from the Oilers-Habs game, including the hits and fights. Not sure why. ESPN would rather cover TO 24/7

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
We have more (at least playoff) games on national tv than the NBA.

I don't think you are right. The first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals were shown on OLN. NBC only showed games three to seven. I am sure the NBA had quite a few games on ABC during the playoffs. And even so, during the season the NBA is on ESPN, TNT, and ABC on a regular basis. The NHL is on Versus and NBC.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
This season, we will have network TV coverage every Saturday and Sunday, something the NBA likely will not have.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
This season, we will have network TV coverage every Saturday and Sunday, something the NBA likely will not have.
Actually no - NHL on NBC games are Sundays only (9 weeks), NBA on ABC are Xmas Day plus Sundays (13 weeks).

It is a joke to try and compare the NHL US TV deals to the NBA.

NBA:
====
ABC:
- 13 weeks (Christmas Day and Sundays Jan 21 - Apr 15)
- Total of 25 games
- 16 National games
- 3 weeks have split regional coverage (3 games)
- 6 weeks have National or National/Regional double headers

TNT:
- Double header every Thurs night
- Total of 23 weeks (Nov 16 - Apr 12) / 46 Games

ESPN:
- 68 games on Weds, Fri, and Sun nights

NBA TV:
- 95 games - almost every day of the season

NHL:
====
NBC:
- Sunday Afternoons for 9 Weeks (Jan 13 - Apr 8)
- Only 1 game/wk
- Total of 26 Games
- All games are regional (2 or 3 games)

Versus:
- 56 games on Mon & Tues

And the most important comparison:

NBA:
- ABC/ESPN - $600M/yr ($2.4B / 4 yrs)
- TNT - $367M/yr ($2.2B / 6 yrs)
- NBA TV - league owned network

NHL:
- NBC: $0/yr - no guaranteed money, only shared revenues after costs
- Versus: $67.5M/yr ($135M / 2 yrs)

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

?? The NBA is on every freakin' day, on some BASIC cable channel. (ESPN, TBS, NBC, ESPN2, somewhere...)

The NHL is on Vs Mon & Tues. - NOT a basic cable channel.

What are you talking about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->