News Article: ESPN Anonymous Players Poll

Championship*

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...ly-realignment-peds-goalie-pads-espn-magazine

espp.jpg

Ok, I get Henrik being on there. I do. He's a superstar player who hasn't won a cup. But Hagelin? He's OVERrated? I don't even think he's rated. Also, it's time to retire the "Datsyuk is underrated" meme.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I like it. Gives our players some bulletin board material. Hagelin has a lot of potential imo. He has some great tools. His speed is an asset a majority of the NHL cannot match. I think he will only get better for this organization.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Literally the only thing about Hagelin that I ever hear or see anyone talk about is his speed

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
30 Anonymous NHL players.

Who are these players? Well, they're anonymous so if you have a few more guys from the old ATL division, it would account for the Lundqvist, Hagelin hate and given a few Penguins, the Bylsma fanfare.

Furthermore, 3.33% on Hagelin. Unless ESPN conducted a well rounded, reliable, and thorough survey, the 3.33% indicates 1 vote for Hagelin as overrated with a slight bit more indication than anyone else who also received 1 vote (which appears to be every vote other than for Henrik and Phaneuf.)

I mean, 1 vote from 30 players as the most overrated somehow puts you at 3rd most overrated in the league? Good job ESPN.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
30 Anonymous NHL players.

Who are these players? Well, they're anonymous so if you have a few more guys from the old ATL division, it would account for the Lundqvist, Hagelin hate and given a few Penguins, the Bylsma fanfare.

Furthermore, 3.33% on Hagelin. Unless ESPN conducted a well rounded, reliable, and thorough survey, the 3.33% indicates 1 vote for Hagelin as overrated with a slight bit more indication than anyone else who also received 1 vote (which appears to be every vote other than for Henrik and Phaneuf.)

I mean, 1 vote from 30 players as the most overrated somehow puts you at 3rd most overrated in the league? Good job ESPN.

It's not like ESPN represented this as anything other than 30 players. It isn't saying that the 30 players represent the league as a whole. But I agree with one thing. They misrepresented the "3rd most overrated" bit. Phaneuf had 4 votes for him. Lundqvist had 2. That means 24 players got 1 vote apiece. The 3rd most overrated should have said "24 other individual players"

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Since so many want expansion, I'd assume these were 30 terrible, fringe NHLers, hoping to stay in the league longer

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Most people at HF say Datsyuk is OVER rated the past few years. If player's say he's underrated it just speaks to how good he actually is.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If an HFBoards poster disagrees with you, the reason is because they've never played hockey.

If an NHL player disagrees with you, it's because...

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
If an HFBoards poster disagrees with you, the reason is because they've never played hockey.

If an NHL player disagrees with you, it's because...

Well I mean... they do get to play hockey with and against the people they're commenting on, rather than just watch them. A player could do a lot of little dirty things that we don't see, or be a total motor mouth on the ice, or do a lot of subtle frustrating things on defense that the camera doesn't pick up as well and we would have no way of acknowledging that, but the people who are on the ice will.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I almost wonder if the vote for Hagelin was one of his Rangers teammates trying to **** with him. :laugh:

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Where do people rank Hagelin that would even allow him to be considered "over rated"?

Do people think he is a top line player? Hags is a good 3rd line speed guy, and in a pinch can play up on the second line.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Hagelin's overrated because people think he can play on the powerplay, but he stinks.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
It's not like ESPN represented this as anything other than 30 players. It isn't saying that the 30 players represent the league as a whole. But I agree with one thing. They misrepresented the "3rd most overrated" bit. Phaneuf had 4 votes for him. Lundqvist had 2. That means 24 players got 1 vote apiece. The 3rd most overrated should have said "24 other individual players"

Exactly.
One person voted for Hagelin yet he is listed in the article ahead of the other 23 who got one vote?
Hank got a grand total of two votes.

It's hard to come up with any trends based on votes of 30 people. You need a larger cross section of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad