ESPN All-Decade Team

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What a shit decade that Abby is even considered. Lidstrom makes the team with 2 seasons?
Shitty as it was, Abby has no business on the his.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen (or Nyquist or Tatar)
Kronwall-Dekeyser
Howard

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wait what? Lidstrom is not on the team? It's ESPN I don't usually pay attention to their hockey coverage. They are more of a basketball football baseball channel.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If you read the article, they basically say that there are better players than Abdelkader but he has played so much that they have to include him.

And let's be honest, Abdelkader is pretty much the poster boy for the Wings decline since 2010. He embodies all of the bad decision making that have led to where they are.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
that games played argument for Abdelkader would be a whole lot more persuasive if the list didn't also have Lidstrom and his two seasons on it

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Has Abdelkader not "defined the journey for teams from the 2009-10 season to the present"?

or is it just fun to complain all the time?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If you read the article, they basically say that there are better players than Abdelkader but he has played so much that they have to include him.

And let's be honest, Abdelkader is pretty much the poster boy for the Wings decline since 2010. He embodies all of the bad decision making that have led to where they are.

Played so much they have to include him, yet they include Lidstrom, who retired in 2012.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Played so much they have to include him, yet they include Lidstrom, who retired in 2012.
It's almost as if, while weighing several factors, BOTH playing among the most games for the team and being a top 5 player in the history of the game can both be significant in their own way.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's almost as if, while weighing several factors, BOTH playing among the most games for the team and being a top 5 player in the history of the game can both be significant in their own way.
Your sarcasm doesn't help your argument.
So, don't put on Datsyuk, a hall of famer who played six years - because Abdelkader played lots of games.
But put on Lidstrom who played 2 years.

That makes.... no sense.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I know his contract is bad , but he is a great model for the kids . Always liked Abby for his hard work . Hope he bounce beck ether in Detroit or GR

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Your sarcasm doesn't help your argument.
So, don't put on Datsyuk, a hall of famer who played six years - because Abdelkader played lots of games.
But put on Lidstrom who played 2 years.

That makes.... no sense.
I assume Datsyuk isn't on there because the center spot was already filled.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And what is "All-Decade Team", when it mentions only 6 players?

Team = at least full lineup.

This would be real All-Decade Team:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Tatar
Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha
Miller - Glendening - Helm

Lidström - Kronwall
DeKeyser - Green
Ericsson - Quincey

Howard
Mrazek

10 forwards based on total points scored as a Red Wing, 2 adds on Top6 most games played (Miller and Helm)

6 defencemen with most total points/highest ice-times per game/most games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Including Abby on that list is ridiculous.

And honestly Lidstrom could've just played a single period in the decade and he would still deserve to be on the list. He was that good (remember he won the Norris in 2011) and the rest of our defense is that bad.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I know his contract is bad , but he is a great model for the kids . Always liked Abby for his hard work . Hope he bounce beck ether in Detroit or GR

I don't buy it.
Abby is a gamer, sure.
But how many guys in the NHL aren't?
Give me Glendening over Abdelkader any day of the week.
Somehow, Glendog plays the same kind of role, takes dzone faceoffs and is a PLUS player, and plays a hardnosed game without a bunch of stupid penalties.

If I was coach of this team, I'd strip Abdelkader of his letter and give it to Glendening.

Larkin: A
Glendening: A
Nielsen/Flip: A

Bertuzzi probably next in line.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Cleary could be on the team :)

Cleary Wiess Abby
Ericsson Lebda
Howard

I think that about sums up the decade

Reactions: Gniwder

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Dude, did you write that ESPN feature? The mental gymnastics to defend it...
It's a mid-summer puff piece that means absolutely nothing and based entirely on opinion. And he craps all over Abdelkader in the process.

This article puts him on the team for all the same reasons you hate him. He's been around too long, represents an old era, responsible for the downfall, etc., etc., and then you want to complain that its a joke he's on there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's a mid-summer puff piece that means absolutely nothing and based entirely on opinion. And he craps all over Abdelkader in the process.

This article puts him on the team for all the same reasons you hate him. He's been around too long, represents an old era, responsible for the downfall, etc., etc., and then you want to complain that its a joke he's on there.
You would presume that an all decade team would encompass the best players for the decade, not one that signifies the downfall of the team. It is a joke that he's on there, hence the entire list is a joke. They have Alzner on the Caps list, it's like he just looked up stats and came up with the list.

This thread is full of win (I think most of the responses are funny), because the lists are so full of fail.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
You would presume that an all decade team would encompass the best players for the decade, not one that signifies the downfall of the team. It is a joke that he's on there, hence the entire list is a joke. They have Alzner on the Caps list, it's like he just looked up stats and came up with the list.

This thread is full of win (I think most of the responses are funny), because the lists are so full of fail.
The criteria were simple: Which players had that combination of statistical achievement and historic importance? Which players defined the journey for teams from the 2009-10 season to the present?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If you're looking for consistency and rankings based on an established and vetted rubric in an off-season puff piece...
you're gonna have a bad time.

This kind of thing is for funsies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->