News Article: ESPN 2013-2014 Preview - Buffalo Sabres

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
We are close enough to the start of the regular season that Myers looks like a Norris finalist, Risto looks like a shoe in for Calder and with those two dominating the league Miller will get the Vezina nod and start for USA. Really looking forward to Hodgson netting #30 in late March and assisting on Vanek's 40th just before a deep playoff run starts. Man I like this team until October.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We are close enough to the start of the regular season that Myers looks like a Norris finalist, Risto looks like a shoe in for Calder and with those two dominating the league Miller will get the Vezina nod and start for USA. Really looking forward to Hodgson netting #30 in late March and assisting on Vanek's 40th just before a deep playoff run starts. Man I like this team until October.

haha. Great synopsis of the classic buffalo fan's reaction to preseason.

Although, come on, who wouldn't love what you described, buddy.

Still: trade Vanek and Miller yesterday and get Sam Reinhart.

TragicallySabres

Sep 23, 2011
South Buffalo
I also agree, they don't look great, but not terrible either. It will only get ugly if our top 6 ends up being lame.

I hope Feaster wasn't the gm he was talking about by the way.

That's the first western GM that popped into my head too...:help:

With that said, I think we'll definitely be a better team. I'm not expecting us to make the playoffs, but I see the team playing a more complete and competitive game. Last season we just looked lost at times, especially when we got scored on. If we finish with a record that gets us a top pick in the upcoming draft, that's fine with me. Let the rebuild be a rebuild. In terms of the division, we won't finish above Boston or Detroit, and maybe Montreal, but I agree that the other teams aren't exactly proven either. Toronto needs to prove their goaltending is there, I think Ottawa does too (can Anderson repeat last year before the injury), and Florida and Tampa have big question marks. I suppose as a random guess with the preseason coming close to an end, I'll say 7th in our division, ahead of Florida, with Tampa beating us by a few points.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I've said a number of times that this team's success will be based on Tyler Myers. If Myers sticks to past form the team finishes in the basement, if this preseason is any indication of his play they've got a shot. A rolling Myers improves the play of most of the top half of the team. On his game Pysyk and partner will get some protection, you can roll lines better, you spend less time in the defensive zone and you give Miller some piece of mind (which all know Miller lives and dies on his mental state). If Myers sucks again all those things are shot to hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad