News Article: ESPN 2013-2014 Preview - Buffalo Sabres

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/team/_/name/buf
--------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Sabres: The basement is the limit
By Pierre LeBrun | ESPN.com

I direct you to a conversation in early September with an NHL GM from the Western Conference, one of those dialogues in which you go around the league and just catch up on all the teams.

When the subject of the Buffalo Sabres came up, the GM surprised the heck out of me.

"Don't sleep on the Sabres," the GM said. "Just have that feeling that they may surprise people. So much went wrong there last year. I think they're better than people give them credit for."

Not sure I share the same enthusiasm.

But you can bet within their dressing room, the Sabres will feed off that motivation to prove everyone wrong, considering most people are picking them to be last or close to the basement in the Atlantic Division.

"Absolutely, we don't want to be placed there, Sabres veteran Steve Ott told ESPN.com. "As players, you can use that as motivation if you want. But I think individually a lot of guys need to up their game. For us, we're a super-young team. We're going to have a transition period during the season. But this process that began under Ron [Rolston] last year, I really believe in. I think he's a great teacher. His methodical thinking, his structure, the veteran guys have to lead the way and show the young guys how to play. If not, we won't be successful."

Despite all the doom and gloom last season coming out of Buffalo, it should be noted that the Sabres were in contention for a while before finishing seven points out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wonder which of Darcy's WC pals was so complimentary of the team: Doug Wilson or Dean Lombardi? :laugh:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I dont think we'll make the playoffs but I dont think we'll be this bad. 6 in Atlantic 12th in East

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Ratings mean nothing, no pressure on this team and now they can prove everyone wrong by winning much like that team coming out of the lockout that no one predicted would be that strong. Not saying that we are as good as those teams, but we are not as bad as some predict

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Last time they were predicted to finish last in the conference (also the entire league) with Miller in goal, they were only a few injuries away from bringing the big shiny to Buffalo.

I know this is a different team with a different combination of vets and "unknowns", but I wouldn't be surprised if they put together an impressive season. Then again, I also won't be surprised if they finish bottom 5 in the league, haha. I just want them to grow right now and at least show a solid effort night in and night out. If they're still struggling to make the playoffs in 3 years... we'll I don't even want to think about that right now.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I think both major league sporting teams in Buffalo are in the same position. There is young talent on the roster but it will take a season or two before we reap the benefits. We have some guys that may score 40-50 points but only Hodgson and Vanek are a step above. Unfortunately Hodgson is really only a half-step above and we may not have Vanek at the end of the season let alone for next season. This would have been the year to offer sheet a player and try to steal a proven NHL talent. Unless we win the 2014 draft lottery it's a crap shoot (more so than ever) as to whether we draft someone who can produce in the NHL and the main thing our roster and development talent is missing is top level scoring. If we're lucky we could work out a trade to unload one or two of our many D prospects for proven scoring but teams are reluctant to move young talent unless there are off-ice issues.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
It seems the majority of season previews, both local and national, ignore Larsson as a factor.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It seems the majority of season previews, both local and national, ignore Larsson as a factor.

I'm going to guess that's because he's played one NHL game and hasn't even made the team.

He's more of a possibility than a "factor."

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
REALIGNMENT EFFECT
The Sabres were already hard-pressed to make the playoffs before Detroit was added to their mix in the new Atlantic Division. With Boston, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal already expected to be higher in the division, and now the Red Wings in their way as well, realignment didn't do much for Buffalo from a competitive point of view. In terms of selling tickets, though, adding yet another Original Six team like Detroit on their division schedule is sublime.

Because the Sabres have soooo much difficulty selling tickets...

Sure, attendance won't be as good as when the team sucks, but come on now...

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I'm going to guess that's because he's played one NHL game and hasn't even made the team.

Someone who has a legitimate chance of being one of our top 3 centers is worth a mention IMO.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

A "possibility" is essentially what a factor is in this sense. He clearly factors into our center position, will likely make the team, and is about 1,000 times more likely to play center for the Sabres than Luke Adam. In fact, he's the team's best hope of being able to ice a two-way line that can actually get the requisite minutes. That's a factor.

Anyhow, no one has 'made the team' yet, and the rest of the previews make it clear that guys who may or may not actually make the team are considered factors.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
A "possibility" is essentially what a factor is in this sense. He clearly factors into our center position, will likely make the team, and is about 1,000 times more likely to play center for the Sabres than Luke Adam. In fact, he's the team's best hope of being able to ice a two-way line that can actually get the requisite minutes. That's a factor.

Anyhow, no one has 'made the team' yet, and the rest of the previews make it clear that guys who may or may not actually make the team are considered factors.

I mean, Armia and Risto don't get mentions either. It's not like they went down the lineup and named everybody promising but him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Rolston went 15-11-5 prorates to 40-29-13 for 93 pts which puts them in the area of battling for the last 2 playoff spots.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Rolston went 15-11-5 prorates to 40-29-13 for 93 pts which puts them in the area of battling for the last 2 playoff spots.

Mostly on the strength of loser points, though. I would imagine those are highly random.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I think both major league sporting teams in Buffalo are in the same position. There is young talent on the roster but it will take a season or two before we reap the benefits. We have some guys that may score 40-50 points but only Hodgson and Vanek are a step above. Unfortunately Hodgson is really only a half-step above and we may not have Vanek at the end of the season let alone for next season. This would have been the year to offer sheet a player and try to steal a proven NHL talent. Unless we win the 2014 draft lottery it's a crap shoot (more so than ever) as to whether we draft someone who can produce in the NHL and the main thing our roster and development talent is missing is top level scoring. If we're lucky we could work out a trade to unload one or two of our many D prospects for proven scoring but teams are reluctant to move young talent unless there are off-ice issues.

An offer sheet this year would've been beyond stupid.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This article just makes me wish the regular season could start up so we can all see whether the Sabres suck or surprise. No more guessing or projections, but empirical evidence. The speculation is starting to get to me.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This article just makes me wish the regular season could start up so we can all see whether the Sabres suck or surprise. No more guessing or projections, but empirical evidence. The speculation is starting to get to me.

It's a long season, too, so you don't really know anything too valuable until about halfway through. The 05-06 team was **** until late November. We had a real good start the year before last, if I recall correctly, and fell off the map later.

I'm probably not changing my prediction anytime before our 15th win.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
It's a long season, too, so you don't really know anything too valuable until about halfway through. The 05-06 team was **** until late November. We had a real good start the year before last, if I recall correctly, and fell off the map later.

I'm probably not changing my prediction anytime before our 15th win.

Absolutely true. It won't be until, what? December maybe, when the patterns emerge to show which teams might have what it takes and which teams may not. Even then, it's still not clear.

In the Sabres case: I think if they start off well, then the Media will push the "unexpected underdogs" story. If they do suck, then we'll hear the media's "I told you so" stories.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Considering that Darcy didn't go full rebuild with Vanek and Miller, some key players are looking strong in the preseason, and most of the youth that will likely see time over the season is looking impressive, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sabres finish almost anywhere in the division. Boston is obviously a world superior and Detroit is, well, Detroit, but every other team is completely unproven in my book. I certainly don't expect the Sabres to finish third, but seeing them finish above any of the remaining teams wouldn't come as a shock. The one wildcard that I'm most low on this season is Grigorenko; he will find difficulty being an effective center for now unless magic strikes with a line. The other wildcards/question-marks I feel confident about. This team is unlikely to finish last in the division, but isn't a playoff team on paper, either.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Considering that Darcy didn't go full rebuild with Vanek and Miller, some key players are looking strong in the preseason, and most of the youth that will likely see time over the season is looking impressive, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sabres finish almost anywhere in the division. Boston is obviously a world superior and Detroit is, well, Detroit, but every other team is completely unproven in my book. I certainly don't expect the Sabres to finish third, but seeing them finish above any of the remaining teams wouldn't come as a shock. The one wildcard that I'm most low on this season is Grigorenko; he will find difficulty being an effective center for now unless magic strikes with a line. The other wildcards/question-marks I feel confident about. This team is unlikely to finish last in the division, but isn't a playoff team on paper, either.

Well said! I especially agree with the your last sentence. Just can't wait to see what actually happens.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Well said! I especially agree with the your last sentence. Just can't wait to see what actually happens.

I also agree, they don't look great, but not terrible either. It will only get ugly if our top 6 ends up being lame.

I hope Feaster wasn't the gm he was talking about by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->